SODIUM CROMOGLYCATE MUCOADHESIVE BUCCAL PATCHES: DESIGN, FABRICATION, IN VITRO AND IN VIVO CHARACTERIZATION
Objective: The purpose of this study was to design and formulate mucoadhesive buccal patches of sodium cromoglycate (SCG) as an alternative way to overcome its poor oral absorption and short half-life.
Methods: Mucoadhesive patches were prepared by solvent casting technique using cellulose acetate butyrate (CAB) alone or in combination with mucoadhesive polymers like SCMC (sodium carboxymethyl cellulose), HPMC 100M (hydroxyl propyl methyl cellulose) and Cbp934P (carbopol) in different concentrations. The successful patches were evaluated for thickness, weight variation, folding endurance, tensile strength, drug content, surface pH, moisture uptake, swelling percentage, mucoadhesion strength, residence time, in vitro release study, ex vivo permeation and in vivo pharmacokinetic studies.
Results: The thickness of all prepared patches ranged from 0.210Â±0.006 to0.355Â±0.012, folding endurance was more than 300, weight variation did not exceed 0.179Â±0.015, tensile strength and % elongation ranged from 6.4Â±0.018 to 13.1Â±0.024, and from 30.4Â±0.88 to 53.4Â±0.78respectively. The swelling percentage after one hour was from 20.8Â±0.99 to 53.2Â±1.5. pH of all prepared patches did not exceed 6.8, the drug content was about 99 to 101%, moisture uptake did not exceed 10%. Mucoadhesion strength and residence time ranged from 17.2Â±0.14 to 51.2Â±0.26, and from 3.35Â±0.25 to 7.45Â±0.28 respectively. The cumulative release percentage of SCG was in the following descending order CAB>CAB with Cbp934P>CAB with HPMC>CAB with SCMC. The optimized patch (F9) decreased the Cmax and increased Tmax compared to the parenteral solution.
Conclusion: It can be concluded that mucoadhesive buccal patch is a promising dosage form to prolong the release of SCG and enhance its poor oral bioavailability.
2. Kianfar F, Antonijevic MD, Chowdry BZ, Boateng JS. Formulation development of a carrageenan-based delivery system for buccal drug delivery using ibuprofen as a model drug. J Biomater Nanobiotechnol 2011;2:582-95.
3. Satyabrata B, Ellaiah P, Choudhury R, Murthy KVR, Bibhutibhusan P, Kumar MS. Design and evaluation of methotrexate buccal mucoadhesive patches Int J Pharm Biomed Sci 2010;1:31-6.
4. Patil BS, Tate SS, Kulkarni U, Hariprasanna RC, Wadageri GV. Development and in vitro evaluation of mucoadhesive buccal tablets of tizanidine hudrochloride using natural polymer xanthan gum. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2011;8:140-6.
5. Andres R, Merkle HP. Evaluation of laminated mucoadhesive patches for buccal drug delivery. Int J Pharm 1989;49:231-40.
6. Gould MK, Raffin TA. Pharmacological management of acute and chronic bronchial asthma. Adv Pharmacol 1995;32:169-74.
7. Murphy S. Cromolyn sodium: basic mechanusms and clinical usage. Pediatr Asthma Allergy Immunol 1988;2:237-54.
8. WWW.Druginfosys.com. [Last accessed on 10 Nov 2017].
9. Khanna R, Agrawal SP, Alka Ahuja. Preparation and evaluation of mucoadhesive buccal films of clotrimazole for oral candida infections. Ind J Pharm Sci 1997;59:299-306.
10. Borsadia S, Oâ€²Halloran D, Osborne JL. Quick dissolving films-a novel approach to drug delivery. Drug Delivery Technol 2003;3:63-6.
11. Mahajan A, Chhabra N, Aggrawal G. Formulation and characterization of fast dissolving buccal films. A review. Pharm Lett 2011;3:152-65.
12. Kumar VRS. Formulation and evaluation of mucoadhesive buccal patch of atorvastation. Int J Pharm Sci 2013;4:3391-407.
13. Khanusiya AQ, Charyulu RN, Prabhu P, Bhatt S, Shastry SC. Formulation and evaluation of fast dissolving films of loratadine for sublingual use. Int Res J Pharm 2012;3:158-61.
14. Mohamed MI, Afifi EAMR, Mekhael MKG. Formulation and evaluation of anti-asthmatic drug montelukast in mucoadhesive buccal patches. J Coast Life Med 2014;2:907-14.
15. Garsuch V, Kreutz JB. Novel analytical methods for the characterization of oral wafers. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 2009;73:195-201.
16. Sagban TH, Ismail KY. Formulation and evaluation of orodispersible film of sildenafil citrate. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:81-6.
17. Khairnar A, Jain P, Baviskar D, Jain D. Development of mucoadhesive buccal patches containing aceclofenac: in vitro evaluation. Int J PharmTech Res 2009;1:978-81.
18. Ganaie M, Mohan G, Sharma S, Mohi Ud Din S, Shukla TP, Hassan I. Formulation development and evaluation of mucoadhesive buccal film of methyldopa. J Global Trends Pharm Sci 2014;5:1893-904.
19. Tarun P, Kumar SV, Kumar TA. Formulation and evaluation of buccal patch of selective Î±1 receptor blocker prazosin HCL. Indo Am J Pharm Res 2013;3:4293-303.
20. Semalty M, Semalty A, Kumar G. Formulation and characterization of mucoadhesive buccal films of glipizide. Ind J Pharm Sci 2008;70:43-8.
21. Mangilal T, Soundarya K, Nagaganesh M, Ravikumar M. Formulation and evaluation of voriconazole patches for buccal drug delivery system. Eur J Biomed Pharm Sci 2017;4:529-35.
22. Rao NGR, Suryakar VB. Formulation and evaluation of montelukast sodium mucoadhesive buccal patches for chronic asthma attacks. Int J Pharma Bio Sci 2010;1:1-14.
23. Bhimavarapu R, Nissankararao Dr S, Vaidya VS, Sandhyasree S, shamili MS, devi BR. Development and in vitro evaluation of mucoadhesive buccal patches of sertraline HCL. Am J Adv Drug Delivery 2013;1:313-22.
24. Bhatt N, Patel K, Patel M, Patel N. Formulation and effect of polymers on a mucoadhesive buccal patch of carvedilol using factorial design. Am J PharmTech Res 2012;2:1134-53.
25. Edith M, Donald EC, Claus ML. Bioadhesive drug delivery system. Marcel Dekker Inc; 1999. p. 541-62.
26. Patel JS, Rao KP. Design and evaluation of mucoadhesive buccal patches of diclofenac sodium. Ind J Pharm Sci 2003;4:420-2.
27. Khan S, patil K, Bobade N, Yeole P, Gaikwad R. Formulation of intranasal mucoadhesive temperature mediated in situ gel containing ropinirole and evaluation of brain targeting efficiency in rats. J Drug Target 2010;18:223-34.
28. Patel N, Prabhu P, Dubey A, Kamath JV. Design and evaluation of buccal patch containing combination of hydrochlorothiazide and lisinopril. RGUHS J Pharm Sci 2015;5:142-54.
29. Ratnakar NKC, Lalani R, Parikh RK. Design of a novel buccoadhesive system for unidirectional release of valsartan. J Pharm Sci Biosci Res 2014;4:85-91.
30. Baviskar D, Khaiirnar A, Jain P, Jain D. Development of the mucoadhesive buccal patch containing aceclofenac: in vitro evaluations. Int J PharmTech Res 2009;1:978-81.
31. Chimmiri P, Rajalakshmi R, Ramesh G, Rajesh K, Mahitha B, Bharat GK. Design and characterization of buccal film of tramadol hydrochloride. Int J Biol Pharm Res 2012;3:347-53.
32. Sowjanya P, Srinath N, Sumanth KS, Chaitanya D, Sai AP, Padmaja V. Validated RP-HPLC method for estimation of sodium cromoglycate in human plasma. Int J Pharm Res Dev 2013;5:112-20.
33. Kumar KK, Swathi M, Srinivas L, Basha SN. Formulation and evaluation of floating in situ gelling systems of losartan potassium. Pharm Lett 2015;7:98-12.
34. Aswathy SN, Vidhya KM, Saranya TR, Sreelakshmy KR, Sreeja CN. A mucoadhesive buccal patch of cefixime trihydrate using biodegradable natural polymer. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:366-71.
35. Bahuguna K, Kothiyal GP. Formulation and evaluation of buccal patches of rosuvastatin. Ind J Novel Drug Del 2015;7:177-83.
36. Balaji Dr A, Krishnaveni B, Goud V. Formulation and evaluation of mucoadhesive buccal films of atorvastatin using natural protein. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:332-7.
37. Wu T, Pan W, Chen J, Zhang R. Studies of drug permeability and mechanical properties of free films prepared by cellulose acetate pseudolatex coating system. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 2000;26:95-102.
38. Shilpa L, Vasavi P, Devireddy SR. Buccal delivery of pravastatin. Formulation development and evaluation. Int J Pharm Tech 2015;6:7195-10.
39. Pramod KTM, Shivakumar HG. Novel core in cup buccoadhesive systems and films of terbutaline sulphate development and in vitro evaluation. Asian J Pharm Sci 2006;1:175-87.
40. Mohamed MI, Haider M, Ali M. Buccal mucoadhesive patches containing anti-hypertensive drug: in vitro and in vivo evaluation. J Chempharm 2011;3:665-86.
41. Yehia SA, EL-Gazayerly ON, Basalious EB. Fluconazole mucoadhesive buccal films: in vitro and in vivo performance. Curr Drug Delivery 2009;6:17-27.
42. Sekhar KC, Naidu KV, Vishnu YV, Gannu R, Kishan V, Rao YM. Transbuccal delivery of chlorpheniramine maleate from muccoadhesive buccal patches. Drug Delivery 2008;15:185-91.
43. Mishra S, Kumar G, Kothiyal PO. Formulation and evaluation of buccal patches of simvastatin by using different polymers. Pharma Innovation 2012;1:87-92.