EFFECT OF 2% CHLORHEXIDINE GLUCONATE ON THE DEGRADATION OF RESINCOMPOSITEâ€“DENTIN BOND STRENGTH WHEN USING SELF-ETCH ADHESIVE SYSTEMS
Objective: The purpose of this study was to analyze the effect of 2% chlorhexidine gluconate (CHX) on the degradation of composite resinâ€“dentin bond strength when using self-etch adhesive systems.
Methods: CHX (2%) was applied before application of two-step self-etch (TSC) and one-step self-etch (OSC) adhesive. Resin composite was applied incrementally. Specimens from the degradation treatment group were immersed in 10% NaOCl for 1 h. Shear bond strength was tested with a universal testing machine and analyzed using one-way ANOVA and Dunnettâ€™s T3 post-hoc test. The composite resinâ€“dentin bonds were observed using scanning electron microscopy (SEM) and energy dispersive spectroscopy (EDS).
Results:Â In the treatment group without 10% NaOCl, shear bond strength values were higher in the 2% CHX-treated group (TSC 11.67Â±1.76 MPa and OSC 10.19Â±1.44 MPa) than in the untreated group (TSC 10.93Â±1.31MPa and OSC 9.97Â±1.41 MPa), although this difference was not statistically significant. In samples exposed to10% NaOCl, shear bond strength values were higher in the 2% CHX-treated group (TSC 11.14Â±1.22 MPa and OSC 9.95Â±1.21 MPa) than in the untreated group (TSC 10.08Â±0.45 MPa and OSC 8.62Â±0.85 MPa), although this difference was not statistically significant. The SEM of samples from the 2% CHX-treated group showed less degradation than samples from the untreated group did.Conclusion:Â Application of 2% CHX may decrease the degradation of the resin composite-dentin bond.
2. Summit JB, Robins JW, Hilton TJ, Schwartz RS. Fundamentals of Operative Dentistry: A Contemporary Approach. 3rd ed. Chicago, USA: Quintessence Pub; 2006.
3. DenAQ6nis, Abidin T. Degradation of resin-dentin bonds and current methods of its prevention. Indian J Restor Dent 2013;2:1-7.
4. Nagappan K, Yamjala K, Sathyaseelan M, Byran G. Stability evaluation of tartrazine by liquid chromatography-diode array detector and high-resolution electron spray ionization quadrupole time-offlight mass spectrometry/mass spectrometry analysis. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:295-9.
5. Feitosa VP, Leme AA, Sauro S, Correr-Sobrinho L, Watson TF, Sinhoreti MA, et al. Hydrolytic degradation of the resin-dentine interface induced by the simulated pulpal pressure, direct and indirect water ageing. J Dent 2012;40:1134-43.
6. Toledano M, Yamauti M, Osorio E, Osorio R. Bleaching agents increase metalloproteinases-mediated collagen degradation in dentin. J Endod 2011;37:1668-72.
7. Serkies KB, Garcha R, Tam LE, De Souza GM, Finer Y. MMP inhibitor modulates esterase-catalyzed degradation of resin-dentin interfaces. Dent Mater 2016;32:1513-23.
8. Kang HJ, Moon HJ, Shin DH. Effect of different chlorhexidine application times on microtensile bond strength to dentin in class I cavities. Restor Dent Endod 2012;37:9-15.
9. PerdigÃ£o J. Dentin bonding-variables related to the clinical situation and the substrate treatment. Dent Mater 2010;26:e24-37.
10. Collares FM, Rodrigues SB, Leitune VC, Celeste RK, Borba de AraÃºjo F, Samuel SM. Chlorhexidine application in adhesive procedures: A meta-regression analysis. J Adhes Dent 2013;15:11-8.
11. Stanislawczuk R, Reis A, Loguercio AD. A 2-year in vitro evaluation of a chlorhexidine-containing acid on the durability of resin-dentin interfaces. J Dent 2011;39:40-7.
12. Borges FM, de Melo MA, Lima JP, Zanin IC, Rodrigues LK. Antimicrobial effect of chlorhexidine digluconate in dentin: In vitro and in situ study. J Conserv Dent 2012;15:22-6.
13. Mohammadi Z, Abbott PV. The properties and applications of chlorhexidine in endodontics. Int Endod J 2009;42:288-302.
14. Chaharom ME, Ajami AA, Kimyai S, Abbasi A. Effect of chlorhexidine on the shear bond strength of self-etch adhesives to dentin. Afr J Biotechnol 2011;10:10054-57.
15. Moon PC, Weaver J, Brooks CN. Review of MMPsâ€™ effect on the hybrid dentin bond layer stability and chlorhexidine clinical use to prevent bond failure. Open Dent J 2010;4:147-52.
16. Sharma V, Nainan MT, Shivanna V. The effect of cavity disinfectants on the sealing ability of dentin bonding system: An in vitro study. J Conserv Dent 2009;12:109-13.
17. Sharma V, Rampal P, Kumar S. Shear bond strength of composite resin to dentin after application of cavity disinfectants-SEM study. Contemp Clin Dent 2011;2:155-9.
18. Amaral FL, Colucci V, Palma-Dibb RG, Corona SA. Assessment of in vitro methods used to promote adhesive interface degradation: A critical review. J Esthet Restor Dent 2007;19:340-53.
19. Garbui BU, Botta SB, Reis AF, Matos AB. Comparison of chemical aging and water immersion time on durability of resin-dentin interface produced by an etch-and-rinse adhesive. J Contemp Dent Pract 2012;13:464-71.
20. Dayem RN. A novel method for removing the collagen network from acid-etched dentin by neodymium: Yttrium-aluminum-garnet laser. Lasers Med Sci 2009;24:93-9.
21. Kim YH, Shin DH. Effect of chlorhexidine application on the bond strength of resin core to axial dentin in endodontic cavity. Restor Dent Endod 2012;37:207-14.
22. Shafiei F, Alikhani A, Alavi AA. Effect of chlorhexidine on bonding durability of two self-etching adhesives with and without antibacterial agent to dentin. Dent Res J (Isfahan)2013;10:795-801.
23. Loguercio AD, Stanislawczuk R, Polli LG, Costa JA, Michel MD, Reis A. Influence of chlorhexidine digluconate concentration and application time on resin-dentin bond strength durability. Eur J Oral Sci 2009;117:587-96.
24. Carrilho MR, Geraldeli S, Tay F, de Goes MF, Carvalho RM, TjÃ¤derhane L, et al. In vivo preservation of the hybrid layer by chlorhexidine. J Dent Res 2007;86:529-33.
25. Darabi F, Eftekhari M. Effect of chlorhexidine on microleakage of composite restorations. J Dent 2009;6:16-22.
26. Boruziniat A, Babazadeh M, Gifani M. Effect of chlorhexidine application on bond durability of a filled-adhesive system. J Dent Mater Tech 2013;2:6-10.
27. Yoshida Y, Yoshihara K, Nagaoka N, Hayakawa S, Torii Y, Ogawa T, et al. Self-assembled Nano-layering at the Adhesive interface. J Dent Res 2012;91:376-81.
28. Feitosa VP, PomacÃ³ndor-HernÃ¡ndez C, Ogliari FA, Leal F, Correr AB, Sauro S. Chemical interaction of 10-MDP (methacryloyloxi-decyl-dihydrogen-phosphate) in zinc-doped self-etch adhesives. J Dent 2014;42:359-65.
29. Knobloch LA, Gailey D, Azer S, Johnston WM, Clelland N, Kerby RE. Bond strengths of one-and two-step self-etch adhesive systems. J Prosthet Dent 2007;97:216-22.
30. Landuyt KV, Munck JD, Coutinho E, Peumans M, Lambrechts P, Van-Meerbeek B. Bonding to dentine: Smear layer and the process of hybridization. In: Eliades G, Watts DC, Eliades T, editors. Dental Hard Tissues and Bonding: Interfacial Phenomena and Realated Properties. Heidelberg: Springer; 2005.
31. Sacramento PA, Sampaio CS, Carvalho FG, Pascon FM, Borges AF, Alves MC, et al. Influence of NaOCl irrigation and water-storage on degradation and microstructure of resin-dentin interface. J Adhes Dent 2013;47:117-24.
32. Di HipÃ³lito V, Rodrigues FP, Piveta FB, Azevedo Lda C, Bruschi Alonso RC, Silikas N, et al. Effectiveness of self-adhesive luting cements in bonding to chlorhexidine-treated dentin. Dent Mater 2012;28:495-501.
33. Perdigao J, Swift EJ Jr, Denehy GE, Wefel JS, Donly KJ. In vitro bond strengths and SEM evaluation of dentin bonding systems to different dentin substrates. Dent Res 1994;73:44-55.
34. Yuan Y, Shimada Y, Ichinose S, Tagami J. Qualitative analysis of adhesive interface nanoleakage using FE-SEM/EDS. Dent Mater 2007;23:561-9.
35. Goldstein J, Newbury DE, Joy DC, Lyman CE, Echlin P, Lifshin E, et al. SEM and X-ray Microanalysis. 3rd ed. New York: Kluwer academic/Plenum Publishers; 2003.