IN VITRO CYTOTOXICITY AND ANTIOXIDANT EVALUATION OF BIOGENIC SYNTHESIZED GOLD NANOPARTICLES FROM MARSILEA QUADRIFOLIA ON LUNG AND OVARIAN CANCER CELLS
Objective: The biogenic gold nanoparticles are considered to be extremely impressive for its wide range of applications in pharmaceutics and therapeutics. The present study was aimed at the biogenic synthesis of gold nanoparticles (AuNPs) from Marsilea quadrifolia aqueous extract and to investigate its antioxidant property and cytotoxic effect on human ovarian teratocarcinoma (PA-1) and lung adenocarcinoma (A549) cell lines.
Methods: The biogenic AuNPs was synthesized using an aqueous extract of Marsilea quadrifolia. The synthesized biogenic AuNPs were characterized by ultraviolet (UV) visible spectroscopy, transmission electron microscopy (TEM), energy dispersive X-ray analysis (EDX) and X-ray diffraction (XRD). The biogenic AuNPs was assessed for its stability over a period of time and antioxidant activity. The cytotoxicity of biogenic AuNPs against PA-1 and A549 cell lines was studied using 3-(4,5-dimethylthiazol-2-yl)-2,5-diphenyltetrazolium bromide (MTT) assay.
Results: The synthesized biogenic AuNPs showed peculiar ruby red color and a surface plasmon resonance (SPR) peak at 544 nm in the UV-Vis spectrum. The characterization of biogenic AuNPs by TEM, EDX and XRD revealed well dispersed spherical particles ranging from 10-40 nm and the presence of elemental gold and its crystalline nature, respectively. The AuNPs showed good stability and the scavenging activity at 50 Î¼g/ml. The in vitro cytotoxicity of biogenic AuNPs against PA-1 and A549 cell lines recorded half maximal inhibitory concentration (IC50) of 45.88 Î¼g/ml and 52.015 Î¼g/ml, respectively.
Conclusion: The biogenic AuNPs demonstrated superior antioxidant and antiproliferative activities against cancer cell lines.
2. Misra R, Acharya S, Sahoo SK. Cancer nanotechnology: application of nanotechnology in cancer therapy. Drug Discovery Today 2010;15:842-50.
3. Ventola CL. The nanomedicine revolution: part 2: current and future clinical applications. Pharm Ther 2012;37:582-91.
4. Mody V, Siwale R, Singh A, Mody H. Introduction to metallic nanoparticles. J Pharm Bioall Sci 2010;2:282-9.
5. Lu C, Mohwald H, Fery A. Plasmon resonance tunable by deaggregation of gold nanoparticles in multilayers. J Phys Chem C 2007;111:10082-7.
6. Nel A, Madler L, Velegol D, Xia T, Hoek E, Somasundaran P, et al. Understanding biophysicochemical interactions at the nano-bio interface. Nat Mater 2009;8:543-57.
7. Gardea Torresdey J, Parsons J, Gomez E, Peralta Videa J, Troiani H, Santiago P, et al. Formation and growth of Au nanoparticles inside live Alfalfa plants. Nano Lett 2002;2:397-401.
8. Inbakandan D, Venkatesan R, Ajmal Khan S. Biosynthesis of gold nanoparticles utilizing marine sponge Acanthella elongata (Dendy, 1905). Colloids Surf B 2010;81:634-9.
9. Strat D. Conservation status and conservation strategies of threatened aquatic fern Marsilea quadrifolia L. in Europe. Forum Geografic 2014;XIII:193-202.
10. Ripa F, Nahar L, Haque M, Islam M. Antibacterial, the cytotoxic and antioxidant activity of crude extract of Marsilea quadrifolia. Eur J Sci Res 2009;33:123-9.
11. Chowdhury A, Kunjiappan S, Bhattacharjee C, Somasundaram B, Panneerselvam T. Biogenic synthesis of Marsilea quadrifolia gold nanoparticles: a study of improved glucose utilization efficiency on 3T3-L1 adipocytes. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim 2017;53:483-93.
12. Balashanmugam P, Kalaichelvan PT. Biosynthesis characterization of silver nanoparticles using Cassia roxburghii DC. aqueous extract, and coated on cotton cloth for effective antibacterial activity. Int J Nanomed 2015;10:87-97.
13. Balashanmugam P, Durai P, Balakumaran M, Kalaichelvan PT. Photosynthesized gold nanoparticles from C. roxburghii DC. leaf and their toxic effects on normal and cancer cell lines. J Photochem Photobiol 2016;165:163-73.
14. Parida U, Bindhani B, Nayak P. Green synthesis and characterization of gold nanoparticles using onion (Allium cepa) extract. World J Nano Sci Eng 2011;1:93-8.
15. Rajamanikandan S, Sindhu T, Durgapriya D, Sophia D, Ragavendran P, Gopalakrishnan VK. Radical scavenging and antioxidant activity of ethanolic extract of Mollugo nudicaulis by in vitro assays. Ind J Pharm Edu Res 2011;45:310-6.
16. Meerloo JV, Kaspers GJL, Cloos J. Cell sensitivity assays: the MTT assay. Methods Mol Bio 2011;731:237-45.
17. Smitha S, Philip D, Gopchandran K. Green synthesis of gold nanoparticles using Cinnamomum zeylanicum leaf broth. Spectrochim Acta Part A 2009;74:735-9.
18. Dubey S, Lahtinen M, Sarkka H, Sillanpaa M. Bioprospective of Sorbus aucuparia leaf extract in development of silver and gold nanocolloids. Colloids Surf B 2010;80:26-33.
19. Dubeya SP, Lahtinenb M, Sillanpaaa M. Synthesis and characterizations of gold nanoparticles by Justicia gendarussa Burm F leaf extract. Colloids Surf B 2010;364:34â€“41.
20. Philip D. Mangifera Indica leaf-assisted biosynthesis of well-dispersed silver nanoparticles. Spectrochim Acta Part A 2011;78:327-31.
21. Mukundan D, Mohankumar R, Vasanthakumari R. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using leaves extract of Bauhinia tomentosa Linn and its in vitro anticancer potential. Mater Today 2015;2:4309-16.
22. Krishnaraj C, Muthukumaran P, Ramachandran R, Balakumaran MD, Kalaichelvan PT. Acalypha indica linn: biogenic synthesis of silver and gold nanoparticles and their cytotoxic effects against MDA-MB-231, human breast cancer cells. Biotechnol Rep 2014;4:42-9.
23. Bhau BS, Ghosh S, Puri S, Borah B, Sarmah DK, Khan R. Green synthesis of gold nanoparticles from the leaf extract of Nepenthes khasiana and antimicrobial assay. Adv Mater Lett 2015;6:55-8.
24. Elavazhagan T, Arunachalam KD. Memecylon edule leaf extract mediated green synthesis of silver and gold nanoparticles. Int J Nanomed 2011;6:1265-78.
25. Fazaludeen MF, Manickam C, Ashankyty IMA, Ahmed MQ, Beg QZ. Synthesis and characterizations of gold nanoparticles by Justicia gendarussa burm F leaf extract. J Microbiol Biotech Res 2012;2:23-34.
26. Saritha K, Saraswathi U. Antioxidant activity of gold nanoparticles synthesized using Lemna minor. World J Pharm Sci 2014;2:1545-51.
27. Nakkala J, Mata R, Bhagat E, Sadras S. Green synthesis of silver and gold nanoparticles from Gymnema sylvestre leaf extract: study of antioxidant and anticancer activities. J Nanopart Res 2015;17:151.
28. Shabestarian H, Homayouni Tabrizi M, Soltani M, Namvar F, Azizi S, Mohamad R, et al. Green synthesis of gold nanoparticles using Sumac aqueous extract and their antioxidant activity. Mat Res 2017;20:264-70.
29. Rajeshkumar S. Anticancer activity of eco-friendly gold nanoparticles against lung and liver cancer cells. J Genet Eng Biotechnol 2016;14:195-202.