PROTECTIVE EFFICACY OF SILVER NANOPARTICLES SYNTHESIZED FROM SILYMARIN ON CISPLATIN INDUCED RENAL OXIDATIVE STRESS IN ALBINO RAT
Objective: This present study was carried out to evaluate the protective efficacy of silver nanoparticles synthesized from silymarin on cisplatin-induced renal oxidative stress in the albino rat.
Methods: Silver nanoparticles of silymarin was characterized by particle size, UV-Visible, FTIR and XRD analysis. Albino rats were divided randomly into six groups of six animals each. Group I Normal rats were treated with an oral dose of distilled water for 15 d. Group II rats were treated with single i. p. dose of cisplatin (16 mg/kg) on day 1. Group III rats were treated only with oral dose of silymarin (50 mg/kg/d) for 15 d. Group IV rats were treated only with oral dose of silver nanoparticles of silymarin (50 mg/kg/d) for 15 d. Group V rats were treated with an oral dose of silymarin for 14 d after single i. p. dose of cisplatin on day 1. Group VI rats were treated with oral dose of silver nanoparticles of silymarin for 14 d after single i. p. dose of cisplatin on day 1. Collected blood samples and kidney tissue samples were used for biochemical, enzymatic antioxidant and histopathological studies in all groups.
Results: The formation of silver nanoparticles of silymarin were confirmed by particle size, UV-Visible analysis, crystalline nature was confirmed by X-ray diffraction analysis, and active principles were confirmed by FTIR analysis. Biochemical results of silver nanoparticles of silymarin-treated groups showed the significant (pË‚0.05) decrease in the level of creatinine, urea, and uric acid as compared to cisplatin-induced rats and The enzymatic antioxidants of silver nanoparticles of silymarin-treated groups showed the significant (pË‚0.05) increase in the level of glutathione reductase and significant decrease in MDA level as compared to cisplatin-induced rats. Additionally, histopathological results of silver nanoparticles of silymarin-treated groups also confirmed that the ameliorative effect of silymarin nanoparticle against cisplatin-induced rats.
Conclusion: From this research work, we have concluded that silver nanoparticles of silymarin protected the kidney of albino rats from the adverse effects caused by cisplatin.
2. Wang D, Lippard SJ. Cellular processing of platinum anticancer drugs. Nat Rev Drug Discovery 2005;4:307-20.
3. Cornelison TL, Reed E. Nephrotoxicity and hydration management for cisplatin, carboplatin, and ormaplatin. Gynecol Oncol 1993;50:147-58.
4. Zhao G, Stevens SE. Multiple parameters for the comprehensive evaluation of the susceptibility of Escherichia coli to the silver ion. Biometals 1998;11:27-9.
5. Mahabady MK, Varzi NH. Prophylactic effects of silymarin and vitamin E on. cyclophosphamide-induced skeletal malformations in rat embryos. World Appl Sci J 2011;12:636-41.
6. Kren V, Walterova D. Silybin and silymarin-new effects and applications. Biomed Papers 2005;149:29-41.
7. Matsuda T, Ferreri K, Todorov I, Kuroda Y, Smith CV, Kandeel F, et al. Silymarin protects pancreatic beta-cells against cytokine-mediated toxicity: implication of c-Jun NH2-terminal kinase and janus kinase/signal transducer and activator of transcription pathways. Endocrinology 2005;146:175-85.
8. Skottova N, Vecera R, Urbanek K. Effects of a polyphenolic fraction of silymarin on lipoprotein profile in rats fed cholesterol-rich diets. Pharmacol Res 2003;47:17-6.
9. Raza S, Khan M, Ashafaq M, Ahmad A, Khuwaja G. Silymarin protects neurons from oxidative stress associated damages in focal cerebral ischemia: a behavioral, biochemical and immune histological study in Wistar rats. J Neurol Sci 2011;309:45-4.
10. Baumann L. How to prevent photoaging. J Invest Dermatol 2005;125:XII-III.
11. Karimi G, Fallah Huseini H, Ramezani M, Tahoonian Z. Protective effect of silybum marianum gaertn. seeds extract and silymarin against cisplatin-induced acute nephrotoxicity in rats. J Med Plants 2005;4:42-5.
12. Oliveira C, Lopasso FP, Laurindo F, Leitao RM, Laundanna AA. Protection against liver ischemia-reperfusion injury in rats by silymarin or verapamil. Transplant Proc 2001;33:3010-4.
13. Indhumathi T, Rajathi K. A study on the synthesis of silver nanoparticles from murraya koengii leaf and its antifungal activity. Int J Drug Dev Res 2013;5:293-8.
14. Abd El-Rahman, Suhailah S. Protection of curcumin and curcumin nanoparticles against cisplatin-induced nephron-toxicity in male rats. Sch Acad J Biosci 2014;2:214-23.
15. Jeyanthi P, Merin Mary K, Anushree S, Ashwini, Ramalingam C. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles from dracaena mahatma leaf extract and its antimicrobial activity. J Pharm Sci Res 2015;7:690-5.
16. Ahmed-Belkacem A, Ahnou N, Barbotte L, Wychowski C, Pallier C, Brillet R, et al. Silybinin and related compounds are direct inhibitors of hepatitis c virus rna-dependent rna polymerase. Gastroenterology 2010;138:1112-22.
17. Nanzeen bobby, Wesely EG, Johnson M. FTIR studies on the leaves of albizia lebbeck benth. Int J Pharm Sci 2012;4:293-6.
18. Maheswari, Mariyammal, Venkatnarayanan. Renal protective activity of Orthosiphon stamineus leaf extract against cisplatin induced renal toxicity. Int J Pharm Technol 2011;1:1584-92.
19. Abdelmeguid NE, Hania NC, Noura SAZ. Protective effect of silymarin on cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats. Pak J Nutr 2010;9:624-36.
20. Marsh WH, Fingerhut B, Miller A. Nonprotein nitrogen, urea, creatine and creatinine. In: Varley, Practical Clinical Biochemistry. Vol. 1. William Heinemann, London; 1980. p. 456-68.
21. Ito A. The exercise prescription for hyperuricemia. Nippon Rinsho 2000;58:431-6.
22. Brod J, Siorta JH. Nonprotein nitrogen, urea, creatine and creatinine. In: Varley H. Practical Clinical Biochemistry. Vol. 1. William Heinemann, London; 1980. p. 478-80.
23. Beuge JA, Aust SD. The thiobarbituric acid assay. Methods Enzymol 1978;52:306-7.
24. David M, Richard JS. In: Methods of Enzymatic Analysis. Bergmeyer J, Marianne Grab. ed. Verlag Chemie Weinheim Deer Field, Beach Floride; 1983. p. 358.
25. Ochei J, Kolhatkar A. Medical laboratory science, theory and practice, New Delhi: Tata McGraw Hill Publishing Company Limited; 2000. p. 276-7.
26. Gupta SP. In: Textbook of Statistical Methods, New Delhi: Sultan Chand and Sons Educational Publishers; 2014. p. 881-901.
27. Huang K, Ian Ferrin O, Wei Zhang, Gordon AL, Erin KO, Florante A. Structure of the Pho85-Pho80 CDK-cyclin complex of the phosphate-responsive signal transduction pathway. Mol Cell 2007;28:614-23.
28. Jeyanthi P, Merin Mary K, Anushree S, Ashwini, Ramalingam C. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles from dracaena mahatma leaf extract and its antimicrobial activity. J Pharm Sci Res 2015;7:690-5.
29. Wolfgang H, Nguyen TK, Thanh JA, David GF. Determination of size and concentration of gold nanoparticles from UV-Vis spectra. Anal Chem 2007;79:4215-21.
30. Shankar SS, Rai A, Ahmad A, Sastry M. Rapid synthesis of Au, Ag and bimetallic Au core-Ag shell nanoparticles using Neem (Azadirachta indica) leaf broth. J Colloid Interface Sci 2004;275:496-502.
31. Kiruba Daniel AS, Nazeema Banu B, Harshiny M, Nehru K, Sankar Ganesh P, et al. Ipomea carnea-based silver nanoparticle synthesis for antibacterial activity against selected human pathogens. J Exp Nanosci 2012;9:197-209.
32. Nalwa HS. Encyclopedia of nanoscience and nanotechnology. Vol. 1. USA; American Scientific Publishers; 2004. p. 687-26.
33. Amudha Murugan, Krishna Kumari S. Biosynthesis and characterization of silver nanoparticles using the aqueous extract of Vitex negundo L. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;3:1385-93.
34. Naziroglu M, Karaoglu A, Aksoy AO. Selenium and higher dose vitamin E administration protect cisplatin-induced oxidative damage to renal, liver, lens tissues in rats. Toxicology 2004;195:221-30.
35. Soheir N, Suhailah S. Protection of curcumin and curcumin nanoparticles against cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity in male rats. Sch Acad J Biosci 2014;2:214-23.
36. Gulec M, Iraz M, Yilmaz HR, Ozyurt H, Temel I. The effects of ginkgo biloba extract on tissue adenosine deaminase, xanthine oxidase, myeloperoxidase, malondialdehyde and nitric oxide in cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity. Toxicol Indian Health 2006;22:125-30.
37. Lalila A, Ola H, Hossam A, Mohamed M, Sayed A. Effect of cremophor-EL on cisplatin-induced organ toxicity in the normal rat. J Egypt Natl Cancer Inst 2001;13:139-45.
38. Ali BH, Al Moundhri MS, Tag El-din MT, Nemmar A, Tanira MO. The ameliorative effect of cysteine prodrug L-2-oxothiazolidine-4-carboxylic acid on cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats. Fundam Clin Pharmacol 2007;121:547-53.
39. Mustafa Cengiz, Adnan Ayhanci, Hatice Mehta. Potential therapeutic effects of silymarin and silymarin-loaded solid lipid nanoparticles on experimental kidney damage in BALB/c mice: a biochemical and histopathological evaluation. Turk J Biol 2016;40:807-14.