RP-HPLC METHOD DEVELOPMENT AND VALIDATION FOR SIMULTANIOUS ESTIMATION AND FORCED DEGRADATION STUDIES OF LAMIVUDINE AND RALTEGRAVIR IN SOLID DOSAGE FORM
Objective: A stability indicating reverse phase high-performance liquid chromatography (RP-HPLC) method was developed and validated for the estimation of the combined tablet formulation of lamivudine (LAM) and raltegravir (RAL) in dosage forms and its API.
Methods: Chromatographic separation was achieved on inertsil ODS C18 5 Âµm (4.6 X 150 mm) using a mobile phase (MP) consisting of a mixture of mixed orthophosphoric acid (OPA): acetonitrile (ACN) in the ratio 50:50 v/v which was determined at 242 nm respectively.Â
Results: The assay of LAM and RAL was performed with tablets, and the % assay was found to be 100.12 and 99.89 which shows that the method is useful for routine analysis. The linearity of LAM and RAL was found to be linear with a correlation coefficient of 0.998 and 0.999, which shows that the method is capable of producing good sensitivity. The retention time of LAM and RAL was 1.99 min and 4.34 min respectively; linearity range was found to lie from 15 Âµg/ml to 75 Âµg/ml for LAM, 30 Âµg/ml to 150 Âµg/ml for RAL with a correlation coefficient of 0.999 respectively. Forced degradation studies were conducted in acidic, basic, thermal, photolytic and peroxide where all the degradation peaks were monitored.
Conclusion: The proposed HPLC method was found to be simple, specific, precise, accurate, rapid and economical for simultaneous estimation of LAM and RAL in bulk and tablet dosage form. Thus the validated economical method was applied for forced degradation study of LAM and RAL tablet.
2. Krishna Reddy NV, Phani RS, Ramesh R. New RP-HPLC method development for analysis and assay of lamivudine in the formulation. Int J Res Pharm Biomed Sci 2011;2:220-3.
3. Kalpesh V, Prabodh Sapkale. Development and validation of uv spectroscopic method for estimation of lamivudine in tablet dosage form. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2017;9:86-9.
4. Mandloi DK, Tyagi PK. Method development and validation of rp-hplc in the application of In-vitro dissolution study of lamivudine in bulk drug and tablet formulation. J Chem Pharm Res 2009;1:286-96.
5. Lakshmana Rao. Validated RP-HPLC method for determination of raltegravir in pharmaceutical preparations. Int J Res Pharm Chem 2012;2:258-64.
6. Rambabu Kuchi. New RP-HPLC method development and validation for analysis of antiviral drug raltegravir. Int J Res Pharm Bio Sci 2011;2:196-202.
7. Mary C. Long a sensitive HPLC-MS method for the determination of raltegravir in human plasma. J Chrom B 2008;867:165â€“71.
8. Sudha T, Raghupathi T. RP-HPLC and ultraviolet spectro-photometric method for the estimation of raltegravir potassium in bulk and in tablet dosage form. Global J Med Res 2011;11:8-16.
9. Rambabu K, Balamurali K, Sambasiva R. New rp-hplc method development and validation for analysis of antiviral drug raltegravir. Int J Res Pharm Biomed Sci 2011;2:132-5.
10. Saritha Chukka, Shayeda Shaik. Development and characterization of gastroretentive drug delivery system for ritonavir tablets using natural polymers. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:318-22.
11. G Raveendra Babu, A Lakshmana Rao, J Venkateswara Rao. A rapid RP-HPLC method development and validation for the quantitative estimation ribavirin in tablets. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:60-3.
12. Hemanth Kumar AK, Sudha V, Leelavathi A, Geetha Ramachandran. A rapid isocratic HPLC method for the quantification of ritonavir in human plasma. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:64-8.
13. Rami R, Reddy BS, Raman NV, Jyothi G. Validated stability-indicating UPLC assay method and degradation behavior of raltegravir potassium. Int J Pharm Tech 2012;4:4045-59.
14. Veena D Singh, Sanjay J Daharwal. Optimization of an RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of lamivudine and raltegravir in the binary mixture by using design of the experiment. Eurasian J Anal Chem 2012;12:179-95.
15. Honeesha Nandimandalam, D Gowri Sankar. Simultaneous RP-HPLC method development and validation for lamivudine and raltegravir in bulk dosage forms. Am J Pharm Tech Res 2015;5:249-56.
16. International conference on harmonization: ICH: Q2(R1), validation of analytical procedures: text and methodology; 1995.
17. International conference on harmonization ICH: Q2B, analytical validationâ€“methodology; 1996. p. 24.
18. International conference on harmonization ICH: Q2A, text on validation of analytical procedure; 1994. p. 22.