BIOGENIC SYNTHESIS SILVER NANOPARTICLES USING PELTOPHORUM PTEROCARPUM LEAF EXTRACTS AND ITS ANTIMICROBIAL EFFICACY AGAINST SELECTIVE PATHOGENS
Objective: The present study was aimed to screen silver nanoparticles (AgNPs) using different plant extracts and also to study their antimicrobial property against different human pathogens.
Methods: Nine different plants, namely Parthenium hispidum, Vinga rose, Catheranthus roseus, Phyllanthus amarus, Azadirachta indica, Jatropa curcas, Tectona grandis, Ocimum sanctum, and Peltophorum pterocarpum were screened for the synthesis of AgNPs. The AgNPs were synthesized using leaf extracts and was well characterized using a UV-Visible spectrophotometer, transmission electron microscopy (TEM), energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (EDX), X-ray diffraction (XRD) and zeta potential measurement. The AgNPs was tested for their antibacterial and antifungal efficacy using agar well diffusion method.
Results: Among the nine different plant extracts screened, AgNPs synthesized using Peltophorum pterocarpum leaf extract showed good stability even after one month with maximum absorption spectra of 425 nm. The synthesized AgNPs was found to be spherical in shape with an average size ranging from 20 to 60 nm. The EDX spectrum reveals the presence of silver peaks and the XRD spectrum confirms the crystalline nature of AgNPs. A Maximum zone of inhibition of 18.04Â±0.74 was found when the synthesized AgNPs was tested against B. subtilis, and 12.34Â±0.31 against A. niger when the concentration was AgNPs was maintained at 100 Âµg/ml.
Conclusion: The results of the present study conclude that the AgNPs synthesized using Peltophorum pterocarpum leaf extracts is found to be stable and possesses broad-spectrum antibacterial activity against different tested pathogens.
2. Salehi S, Shandiz SA, Ghanbar F, Darvish MR, Ardestani MS, Mirzaie A, et al. Phytosynthesis of silver nanoparticles using Artemisia marschalliana sprengel aerial part extract and assessment of their antioxidant, anticancer, and antibacterial properties. Int J Nanomed 2016;11:1835-46.
3. Sharma VK, Yngard RA, Lin Y. Silver nanoparticles: green synthesis and their antimicrobial activities. Adv Colloid Interface Sci 2009;145:83-96.
4. Xu ZP, Zeng QH, Lu GQ, Yu AB. Inorganic nanoparticles as carriers for efficient cellular delivery. Chem Eng Sci 2006;61:1027-40.
5. Anbarasu A, Karnan P, Deepa N, Usha R. Carica papaya mediated green synthesized silver nanoparticles. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2018;10:15-20.
6. Grover A, Yadav S, Vats V. Medicinal plants of India with anti-diabetic potential. J Ethnopharmacol 2002;81:81-100.
7. Ayyanar BM, Ignacimuthu S. Ethnobotanical survey of medicinal plants commonly used by Kani tribals in Tirunelveli hills of Western Ghats. India J Ethnopharmacol 2011;134 :851-64.
8. Sahadevan R. Green synthesis and characterization of the silver nanoparticle using leaf extract of Capparis zeylanica. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2014;7:44-8.
9. Lotha R, Sivasubramanian A, Muthuraman MS. Silver nanoparticles from medicinally important Euphorbia cyathophora extract: biosynthesis, characterization, and anticancer activity. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:154-6.
10. Khan M, Khan ST, Khan M. Antibacterial properties of silver nanoparticles synthesized using Pulicaria glutinosa plant extract as a green bioreduction. Int J Nanomed 2014;9:3551-65.
11. Salunke GR, Ghosh S, Kumar RJS. Rapid, efficient synthesis and characterization of silver, gold, and bimetallic nanoparticles from the medicinal plant Plumbago zeylanica and their application in biofilm control. Int J Nanomed 2014;9:2635-53.
12. Govender R, Phulukdaree A, Gengan RM, Anand K, Chuturgoon AA. Silver nanoparticles of Albizia adianthifolia: the induction of apoptosis in human lung carcinoma cell line. J Nanobiotechnol 2013;11:5.
13. Sankar R, Karthik A, Prabu A, Karthik S, Shivashankari KS, Ravikumar V. Origanum vulgare mediated biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles for its antibacterial and anticancer activity. Colloids Surf B 2013;108:80-4.
14. Vivek R, Thangam R, Muthuchelian K, Gunasekaran P, Kaveri K, Kannan S. Green biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles from Annona squamosa leaf extract and itâ€™s in vitro cytotoxic effect on MCF-7 cells. Process Biochem 2012;47:2405-10.
15. Kalainila P, Subha V, Ernest Ravindran RS, Sahadevan R. Synthesis and characterization of silver nanoparticles from Erythrina indica. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2014;7:39-43.
16. Kapil A. The challenge of antibiotic resistance: need to contemplate. Indian J Med Res 2005;121:83-91.
17. Morones JR, Elechiguerra JL, Camacho A, Holt K, Kouri JB, RamÃrez JT, Yacaman MJ. The bactericidal effect of silver nanoparticles. Nanotechnology 2005;16:2346-53.
18. Rai M, Yadav A, Gade A. Silver nanoparticles as a new generation of antimicrobials. Biotechnol Adv 2009;27:76-83.
19. Ankanna S, Savithramma N. Biological synthesis of silver nanoparticles by using the stem of Shorea tumbuggaia Roxb. and its antimicrobial efficacy. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2011;4:137-41.
20. Kim JS, Kuk E, Yu KN, Kim JH, Park SJ, Lee HJ, et al. Antimicrobial effects of silver nanoparticles. Nanomed Nanotechnol 2007;3:95-101.
21. Chen X, Schluesener HJ. Nanosilver: a nanoproduct in medical application. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol Lett 2008;176:1-12.
22. Balashanmugam P, Balakumaran MD, Murugan R, Dhanapal K, Kalaichelvan PT. Phytogenic synthesis of silver nanoparticles, optimization, and evaluation of in vitro antifungal activity against human and plant pathogens. Microbiol Res 2016; 192:52-64.
23. Singh K, Panghal M, Kadyan S, Chaudhary U, Yadav JP. Green silver nanoparticles of Phyllanthus amarus: as an antibacterial agent against multi-drug resistant clinical isolates of Pseudomonas aeruginosa. J Nanobiotechnol 2014;12:40.
24. SkÅ‚adanowski M, Golinska P, Rudnicka K, Dahm H, Rai M. Evaluation of cytotoxicity, immune compatibility and antibacterial activity of biogenic silver nanoparticles. Med Microbiol Immunol 2016;205:603-13.
25. Saravanan M, Venu AK, Barik SK. Rapid biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles from Bacillus megaterium (NCIM 2326) and their antibacterial activity on multi-drug resistant clinical pathogens. Colloids Surf B 2011;88:325-31.
26. Rana IS, Rana AS, Rajak RC. Evaluation of antifungal activity in the essential oil of the Syzygium aromaticum (L.) by extraction, purification, and analysis of its main component eugenol. Braz J Microbiol 2011;42:1269-77.
27. Okafor F, Janen A, Kukhtareva T, Edwards V, Curley M. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles, their characterization, application, and antibacterial activity. Int J Environ Res Public Health 2013;10:5221-38.
28. Kumar R, Ghoshal G, Jain A, Goyal M. Rapid green synthesis of silver nanoparticles (AgNPs) using (Prunus persica) plants extract: exploring its antimicrobial and catalytic activities. J Nanomed Nanotechnol 2017;8:1-8.
29. Niraimathi KL, Sudha V, Lavanya R, Brindha P. Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles using Alternanthera sessilis (Linn.) extract and their antimicrobial, antioxidant activities. Colloids Surf B 2013;102:288-91.
30. Oluwaniyi OO, Adegoke HI, Adesuji ET, Alabi AB, Bodede SO. Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles using aqueous leaf extract of Thevetia peruviana Juss. and it's antimicrobial activities. Appl Nanosci 2015;6:903-12.
31. Labrenz M, Druschel GK, Thomsen-Ebert T, Gilbert B, Welch SA, Kemner KM, et al. Formation of sphalerite (ZnS) deposits in natural biofilms of sulfate-reducing bacteria. Science 2000; 290:1744-7.
32. Roh Y, Lauf RJ, McMillan AD, Zhang C, Rawn CJ, Bai J, et al. Microbial synthesis and the characterization of metal-substituted magnetites. Solid State Commun 2001;118:529-34.
33. Premasudha P, Venkataramana M, Abirami M, Vanathi P, Krishna K, Rajendran R. Biological synthesis and characterization of silver nanoparticles using Eclipta alba leaf extract and evaluation of its cytotoxic and antimicrobial potential. Bull Mater Sci 2015;38:965-73.
34. Shankar SS, Ahmad A, Sastry M. Geranium leaf assisted biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles. Biotechnol Prog 2003; 19:1627-31.
35. Ahmad N, Bhatnagar S, Ali SS, Dutta R. Phytofabrication of bio-induced silver nanoparticles for biomedical applications. Int J Nanomed 2015;10:7019-30.
36. Ibrahim M, Alaam M, El-Haes H, Jalbout AF, Leon AD. Analysis of the structure and vibrational spectra of glucose and fructose. Ecletica Quim 2006;31:15-21.
37. Veerasamy R, Xin TZ, Gunasagaran S, Xiang TFW, Yang EFC, Jeyakumar N. Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles using mangosteen leaf extract and evaluation of their antimicrobial activities. J Saudi Chem Soc 2011;15:113-20.
38. Gavade NL, Kadam AN, Suwarnkar MB, Ghodake VP, Garadkar KM. Biogenic synthesis of multi-applicative silver nanoparticles by using Ziziphus Jujuba leaf extract. Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc 2015;136:953-60.
39. Edison TJI, Sethuraman MG. Instant green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Terminalia chebula fruit extract and evaluation of their catalytic activity on the reduction of methylene blue. Pro Biochem 2012;47:1351-7.
40. Zargar M, Shameli K, Najafi GR, Farahani F. Plant-mediated green biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles using Vitex negundo L extract. J Ind Eng Chem 2014;20:4169-75.
41. Vanaja M, Annadurai G. Coleus aromaticus leaf extract mediated synthesis of silver nanoparticles and its bactericidal activity. Appl Nanosci 2013;3:217-23.
42. Lara HH, Garza Trevino EN, Ixtepan Turrent L, Singh DK. Silver nanoparticles are broad-spectrum bactericidal and virucidal compounds. J Nanobiotechnol 2011;9:30.
43. Kim SH, Lee HS, Ryu DS, Choi SJ, Lee DS. Antibacterial activity of silver-nanoparticles against Staphylococcus aureus and Escherichia coli. Korean J Microbiol Biotechnol 2011;39:77-85.
44. Sondi I, Salopek Sondi B. Silver nanoparticles as antimicrobial agent: a case study on E. coli as a model for gram-negative bacteria. J Colloid Interface Sci 2004;275:177-82.
45. Renugadevi K, Aswini RV. Microwave irradiation assisted synthesis of the silver nanoparticle using Azadirachta indica leaf extract as a reducing agent and in vitro evaluation of its antibacterial and anticancer activity. Int J Nanomat Bio 2012;2:5-10.
46. Sadhasivam S, Shanmugam P, Yun K. Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles by Streptomyces hygrocopicus and antimicrobial activity against medically important pathogenic micro-organisms. Colloids Surf B 2010;81:358-62.
47. Bahrami Teimoori B, Nikparast Y, Hojatianfar M, Akhlaghi M, Ghorbani R, Pourianfar HR. Characterisation and antifungal activity of silver nanoparticles biologically synthesised by Amaranthus retroflexus leaf extract. J Exp Nanosci 2017;12:129-39.
48. Krishnaraj C, Ramachandran R, Mohan K, Kalaichelvan PT. Optimization for rapid synthesis of silver nanoparticles and its effect on phytopathogenic fungi. Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc 2012;93:95-9.