ESTIMATION OF AMLODIPINE BESYLATE AND IRBESARTAN IN PHARMACEUTICAL FORMULATION BY RP-HPLC WITH FORCED DEGRADATION STUDIES
Objective: To develop and validate a simple, specific, accurate, precise and sensitive reverse phase high performance liquid chromatographic (RP-HPLC) method with forced degradation studies for the simultaneous estimation of amlodipine besylate and irbesartan in the pharmaceutical formulation.
Methods: The chromatographic separation of the two drugs were achieved using Enable C 18G column (250 ×4.6 mm; 5 µm) in isocratic mode with mobile phase consisting of sodium acetate buffer (pH 4.0) and acetonitrile (30:70, % v/v) with a flow rate of 0.6 ml/min. Ultraviolet(UV) detection was carried out at 238 nm. The proposed method was validated for linearity, range, accuracy, precision, robustness, limit of detection (LOD) and limit of quantification (LOQ). The tablet formulation was subjected to stress conditions of degradation including acidic, alkaline, oxidative, thermal and photolysis.
Results: The retention time for amlodipine besylate and irbesartan were found to be 5.512 and 6.321 min respectively. Linearity was observed over a concentration range 4-32 µg/ml for amlodipine besylate (r2 =0.9999) and 10-70 µg/ml for Irbesartan (r2 =0.9998). The % relative standard deviation (RSD) for Intraday and Interday precision was found to be 0.436 and 0.699 for amlodipine besylate and 0.435 and 0.30 for irbesartan. Amlodipine besylate shown stability towards acidic and thermal whereas in basic, oxidative and photolytic it shown less stability in which it degraded to more extent. Irbesartan shown stability towards thermal conditions whereas in remaining conditions it degrades to more extent especially in oxidative conditions.
Conclusion: The developed reverse phase high performance liquid chromatographic (RP-HPLC) method was also found to be simple, precise and sensitive for the simultaneous determination of amlodipine besylate and irbesartan in the tablet dosage form.
2. Rani KS, Swapna A, Padma A. A new spectrophotometric method for the estimation of amlodipine besylate and its stress degradation studies. Res J Pharm Biol Chem Sci 2011;2:470-2.
3. Jain N, Jain R, Jain A. Spectrophotometric method development and validation for quantitative estimation of amlodipine besylate in bulk drug and their dosage forms by using the hydrotropic agent. Eurasian J Anal Chem 2010;5:212-7.
4. Reddy K, Latha L, Sowjanya T. Development and validation of UV spectrophotometric method for estimation of amlodipine besylate in tablet dosage form. Res J Pharm Technol 2012;5:1320-3.
5. Basavaiah K, Chandrashekar U, Nagegowda P. Titrimetric and modified spectrophotometric methods for the determination of amlodipine besylate using bromate-bromide mixture and two dyes. Sci Asia 2006;32:271-8.
6. Patil VP, Devdhe SJ, Angadi SS. New eco-friendly validated spectrophotometric method for the estimation of amlodipine besylate in bulk drug using ninhydrin. Asian J Biomed Pharm Sci 2012;3:14-9.
7. Gölcü A, Yücesoy C. Colorimetric determination of amlodipine besylate in tablets. J Eng Technol 2006;9:32-6.
8. Hanaa M, Niveen A, Ashraf M. Validated spectrofluorometric methods for determination of amlodipine besylate in tablets. Spectro Chem Acta 2008;1:564-70.
9. Yooa H, Kimb TK, Leeb B. Determination of S-and R-amlodipine in rat plasma using LC-MS/MS after oral administration of S-amlodipine and racemic amlodipine. Mass Spectrom Lett 2011;2:37-41.
10. Meyyanathan SN, Muralidharan S, Rajan S. A simple sample preparation with HPLC–UV method for estimation of amlodipine from plasma: application to bioequivalence study. Open Chem Biomed Methods J 2008;1:22-7.
11. Alaama M, Helal U, Mohamad HJ. Development and validation of reversed phase high performance liquid chromatographic method for determination of amlodipine. Trop J Pharm Res 2015;14:663-9.
12. Yagi S, Takashima A, Mitsugi M. Effect of combination tablets containing amlodipine 10 mg and irbesartan 100 mg on blood pressure and cardiovascular risk factors in patients with hypertension. Ther Clin Risk Manag 2015;11:83-8.
13. Rao SN, Kumar A, Devi RB. Estimation of irbesartan in bulk and dosage forms by new simple UV spectrophotometry using the hydrotropic technique. Pharm Anal Acta 2013;4:1-3.
14. Asati A, Shinde A, Malik S. Quantitative analysis method development and validation for irbesartan in bulk drug by ultraviolet spectroscopy. J Adv Pharm Educ 2014;4:101-4.
15. Pradhan K, Mishra US, Pattnaik S. Method development, validation and stability study of irbesartan in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form by UV-spectrophotometric method. Int J Pharm Biol Sci Arch 2011;2:1114-22.
16. Tulja Rani G, Gowri Sankar D, Madhavi L, Satyanarayana B. Extractive visible spectrophotometric method for determination of telmisartan and irbesartan in bulk and pharmaceutical formulations. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2012;5:41-4.
17. Gonzalez L, Lopez JA, Alonso RM. Fast screening method for the determination of angiotensin II receptor antagonists in human plasma by high-performance liquid chromatography with fluorimetric detection. J Chromatogr A 2002;949:49–60.
18. Khanvilkar V, Shah J, Kadam I. Development and validation of HPLC assay for estimation of irbesartan in human plasma. Res J Pharm Technol 2013;6:292-5.
19. Sujana K. RP-HPLC DAD method for determination of irbesartan in bulk and tablet. Int J Pharm Res Dev 2013;3:67-73.
20. Yousheng A, Chuhong X, Huating C. Content determination of irbesartan in serum by HPLC. Chin Pharmacist; 2004.
21. Prashanthi R, Raghavi K, Sindhura M. Development and validation of a sensitive RP-HPLC-PDA method for the assay of irbesartan in pure and pharmaceutical dosage forms. Int J Pharm Bio Sci 2012;3:397-407.
22. Raju RR, Babu NB. Development and validation of HPLC method for the estimation of irbesartan in the pharmaceutical dosage form. Pharmacophore 2011;2:145-9.
23. Bae SB, Kim M, Shim E. HPLC determination of irbesartan in human plasma: its application to pharmacokinetic studies. Biomed Chromatogr 2014;23:69-81.
24. Ubale MB, Thakne VD, Chaudhary VR. Simultaneous high-performance liquid chromatography determination of irbesartan and hydrochlorothiazide in the pharmaceutical dosage form. J Pharm Sci Sci Innovation 2012;1:25-8.
25. Alanaz AM, Abdelhameed AS, Khali NY. HPLC method with the monolithic column for simultaneous determination of irbesartan and hydrochlorothiazide in tablets. Acta Pharm 2014;64:187–98.
26. Vujic Z, Mulavdic N, Smajic M. Simultaneous analysis of irbesartan and hydrochlorothiazide: an improved HPLC Method. J Mol 2012;17:3461-74.
27. Hemamrutha S, Rambabu R, Vidhyadhara S. Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of irbesartan and hydrochlorothiazide in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage forms. Int J Pharm 2013;3:360-3.
28. Raja B, Himasri P, Ramadevi B. RP-HPLC method for the simultaneous estimation of irbesartan and hydrochlorothiazide in pharmaceutical dosage form. Int Res J Pharm Appl Sci 2012;2:29-38.
29. Chabukswar AR, Jagdale SC, Kuchekar BS. Development and validation of a RP-HPLC-PDA method for simultaneous estimation of hydrochlorothiazide and irbesartan. Pharm Chem 2010;2:148-56.
30. Prabhu P, Muralidhar M. Development and validation of a high-performance liquid chromatography method for simultaneous determination of irbesartan and its related impurities in pharmaceutical tablets. Int J Pharm Sci Drug Res 2014;6:145-53.
31. Hafez HM, Elshanawane AA, Abdelaziz LM. Quantitative determination of three angiotensin-II-receptor antagonists in the presence of hydrochlorothiazide by RP-HPLC in their tablet preparations. Iran J Pharm Res 2013;12:635-43.
32. Gonzalez L, Lopez JA, Alonso RM. Fast screening method for the determination of angiotensin II receptor antagonists in human plasma by high-performance liquid chromatography with fluorimetric detection. J Chromatogr A 2002;949:49–60.
33. Youssef R, Hbash A, Hassan A. Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for the estimation and separation of valsartan, losartan and irbesartan in bulk and pharmaceutical formulation. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2014;24:311-4.
34. Czerwi Ska K, Mazurek AP. Identification and determination of selected angiotensin ii receptor antagonist group drugs by HPLC method. Acta Poloniae Pharm Drug Res 2011;68:831-7.
35. Goswami N. A validated a stability-indicating liquid chromatographic method for determination of process-related impurities and degradation behavior of irbesartan in solid oral dosage. J Adv Pharm Technol Res 2014;5:33-45.
36. Caudrona E, Laurenta S. Simultaneous determination of the acid/base antihypertensive drugs celiprolol, bisoprolol and irbesartan in human plasma by liquid chromatography. J Chromatogr B 2004;801:339–45.
37. Mhaske RA, Sahasrabudhe S, Mhaske AA. RP-HPLC method for simultaneous determination of Irbesartan, losartan, hydrochlorothiazide and chlorthalidone–application to commercially available drug products. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2012;3:1116-23.
38. Reddy R, Kumar GVS, Puranik SB. Development and validation of stability indicating reverse phase HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of irbesartan and hydrochlorothiazide in bulk drug and tablet dosage form. Int J Pharm Chem Biol Sci 2012;2:696-703.
39. Rane VP, Patil KR, Sangshetti JN. Stability indicating LC method for simultaneous determination of irbesartan and hydrochlorothiazide in pharmaceutical preparations. J Chromatogr Sci 2010;48:595-600.
40. Shanmugasundaram PS, Velraj M. Validated HPTLC method for simultaneous estimation of irbesartan and hydrochlorothiazide in a tablet dosage form. Pharm Chem 2011;3:310-7.
41. Shah H, Suhagia N, Shah B. Development and validation of a HPTLC method for the simultaneous estimation of irbesartan and hydrochlorothiazide in the tablet dosage form. Indian J Pharm Sci 2007;3:221-6.
42. Khodke AS, Laxman V, Mrinalini C. A validated stability indicating HPTLC method for simultaneous estimation of irbesartan and hydrochlorothiazide. Pharm Methods 2011;1:39–43.
43. Lara F, Maha F, Mamoun IA. Simultaneous determination of irbesartan and hydrochlorothiazide in human plasma using HPLC coupled with tandem mass spectrometry: application to bioequivalence studies. J Pharm Res 2010;3:251-66.
44. Tiwari HK, Monif T, Ranjan P. Quantitative estimation of irbesartan in two different matrices and its application to human and dog bioavailability studies using LC-MS/MS. Asian J Pharm Sci 2013;8:346-55.
45. Qiua X, Wangb Z, Wanga B. Simultaneous determination of irbesartan and hydrochlorothiazide inhuman plasma by ultra-high performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry and its application to bioequivalence study. J Chromatogr B 2014;957:110–5.
46. Bozala B, Dogan Topala B, Uslua B. Quantitative analysis of irbesartan in pharmaceuticals and human biological fluids by voltammetry. Anal Lett 2009;42:221-32.
47. Patel SK, Darji MS. Development and validation of reverse phase high-performance liquid chromatography method for simultaneous estimation of amlodipine besylate and irbesartan in synthetic mixture. Int J Pharm Drug Anal 2014;2:94-9.
48. Swamy GS, Kumar J, Rao S. A validated reverse phase HPLC method for the simultaneous estimation of irbesartan and amlodipine in pharmaceutical dosage form, World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;3:996-1007.
49. Kamala B, Jayathirtha RV, Sridhar S, Sankar DG. Stability indicating RP-HPLC studies for the estimation of irbesartan and amlodipine besylate in pharmaceutical formulations and identification and characterization of degradants using LC-MS. J Liq Chrom Relat Tech 2015;38:259-70.
50. ICH, Stability testing of new drug substances and products (Q1AR2), International Conference on Harmonization, IFPMA, Geneva; 2003.
51. FDA, Guidance R. Validation of chromatographic methods. Center for drug evaluation and research (CDER), Food Drug Administration; 1994. p. 2.
52. FDA, ORA validation and verification guidance for human drug analytical methods. Food and Drug Administration; 2003. p. 1.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.