FORMULATION OF SUSPENDING VEHICLES FOR EXTEMPORANEOUS ORAL LIQUID COMPOUNDING WITH DILTIAZEM HYDROCHLORIDE AS A DRUG MODEL
Objective: This study aimed to determine the optimum concentrations of a suspending vehicle and develop a physically and chemically stable
formulation containing diltiazem hydrochloride (DTZ).
Methods: Stability testing was performed for 30 days in selected suspending vehicle formulas (Formulas A and E). Physical stability tests were
performed at room temperature, and physical properties (odor and color) and pH values of suspensions were evaluated.
Results: The oral suspensions of DTZ were white and had a drug-like odor, and the pH had significantly decreased during storage. Chemical stability
tests of suspensions were performed at room temperature and 4Â°CÂ±2Â°C using ultraviolet-visible spectrophotometry.
Conclusion: The concentrations of DTZ in oral suspensions fluctuated during the storage period, suggesting that the oral suspensions of DTZ are
physically stable but not chemically stable during storage.
liquid formulation of oxandrolone and its stability evaluation. Burns
2. Patel VP, Desai TR, Chavda BG, Katira RM. Extemporaneous dosage
form for oral liquids. Pharmacophore 2011;2:86-103.
3. Wiedyaningsih C, Hakimi M, Soenarto Y, Suryawat S. The use of the
theory of planned behavior to predict factors influencing physicianâ€™s
decision to prescribe extemporaneous compounding dosage form for
pediatric outpatients. Asian J Pharma Clin Res 2016;9:288-91.
4. Masareddy RS, Aloknath G, Kurien D. Development and
characterization of diltiazem hydrochloride pulsatile drug delivery
system for chronomodulated therapy. Asian J Pharma Clin Res
5. Benzi JR, Mastroianni PD. Analysis of extemporaneous oral liquid
from commercially available drugs in hospital. Braz J Pharm Sci
6. MuÅ›ko M, Sznitowska M. Stability of extemporaneous pediatric
oral liquids compounded from tablets and drug substance: Case of
propranolol and theophylline. Acta Pol Pharm 2013;70:137-45.
7. Khrisna A, Mohanan S. Formulation and evaluation of oral liquid
suspension of paracetamol using newly isolated and characterized
Hygrophila spinosa seed mucilage as suspending agent. Asian J Pharm
Clin Res 2018;11:437-41.
8. Junyaprasert VB, Manwiwattanakul G. Release profile comparison
and stability of diltiazem-resin microcapsules in sustained release
suspensions. Int J Pharm 2008;352:81-91.
9. Nadaf SJ, Mali SS, Salunkhe SS, Kamble PM. Formulation and
evaluation of ciprofloxacin suspension using natural suspending agent.
Int J Pharm Sci Res 2014;5:63-70.
10. Senthil V, Sripreethi D. Formulation and evaluation of paracetamol
suspension from Trigonella foenum graecum mucilage. J Adv Pharm
Educ Res 2011;1:225-33.
11. Indonesian Ministry of Health. Indonesian Pharmacopeia. 4th ed.
Jakarta: Indonesian Ministry of Health; 1995.
12. Kuntawar RD, Mulgund SV. UV spectrophotometric estimation of
diltiazem hydrochloride in bulk and tablet dosage form. World J Pharm
Pharm Sci 2014;3:634-41.
13. Rahman N, Hejaz-Azmi SN. Spectrophotometric determination of
diltiazem hydrochloride with sodium metavanadate. Microchem J
14. Indonesian Ministry of Health. Indonesian Pharmacopeia. 5th ed.
Jakarta: Indonesian Ministry of Health; 2014.