SPECTROSCOPIC AND VOLUMETRIC TECHNIQUES FOR THE ESTIMATION OF IVABRADINE IMPURITY 3,3'-(PROPANE-1,3-DIYL)BIS(7,8-DIMETHOXY-1,3,4,5-TETRAHYDRO-2H-BENZO[D]AZEPIN-2-ONE)
Objective: Two simple and sensitive techniques - one spectrophotometric and one titrimetric- have been developed for the determination of 3,3'-(propane-1,3-diyl)bis(7,8-dimethoxy-1,3,4,5-tetrahydro-2H-benzo[d]azepin-2-one) commonly known as ivabradine impurity-9 (IVA-9).
Methods: The spectrophotometric method is based on the oxidation of drug impurity by excess cerium (IV) sulphate in acidic medium and the subsequent reaction of the remaining Ce(IV) with a known amount of ferrous ammonium sulphate. The resultant ferric ion is then made to react with thiocyanate in acid medium to form a brown coloured complex which is analyzed spectrophotometrically against the reagent blank. In the volumetric method, the un-reacted Ce(IV) is titrated against standard ferrous ammonium sulphate to estimate the quantity of IVA-9.
Results: The colored complex showed an absorption maximum at 479 nm when measured spectrophotometrically. The stated methods are validated statistically using the International Council for Harmonization guidelines-ICH Q2(R1) for precision and accuracy. The method showed a linear response from 0.5 to 100µg/ml with a correlation coefficient of 0.9985
Conclusion : No estimation techniques have been reported to date for the determination of this molecule. The proposed techniques may be used for the routine quantification in its pure form and also in presence of its parent drug molecule Ivabradine.
2. Klippert P, Jeanniot JP, Polve S, Lefevre C, Merdjan H. Determination of ivabradine and its N-demethylated metabolite in human plasma and urine, and in rat and dog plasma by a validated high-performance liquid chromatographic method with fluorescence detection. J Chromatogr B Biomed Sci Appl 1998;719:125-33.
3. François Bouchard M, Simonin G, Bossant MJ, Boursier Neyret C. Simultaneous determination of ivabradine and its metabolites in human plasma by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr B Biomed Sci Appl 2000;745:261-9.
4. Maheshwari S, Khandhar AP, Jain A. Quantitative determination and validation of ivabradine HCL by a stability indicating RP-HPLC method and spectrophotometric method in solid dosage form. Eurasian J Anal Chem 2010;5:53-62.
5. Motisariya MH, Patel KG, Shah PA. Validated stability-indicating high-performance thin layer chromatographic method for determination of ivabradine hydrochloride in bulk and marketed formulation: an application to kinetic study. Bull Fac Pharm (Cairo Univ) 2013;51:233-41.
6. Pikul P, Nowakowska J, Ciura K. Chromatographic analysis of ivabradine on polar, nonpolar and chemically modified adsorbents by HPTLC. J Food Drug Anal 2013;21:165-8.
7. Pikul P, Nowakowska J, Ciura K. Effect of non-aqueous and buffered mobile phase composition on the retention of ivabradine. J Liq Chromatogr Relat Technol 2014;37:1837-46.
8. Damle M, Bagwe R. Development and validation of stability-indicating HPTLC method for ivabradine HCl. Pharma Sci Monit 2015;6:141-52.
9. Jin X, Lu CT, Feng Yl, Ding LK, Guan Y, Sun W, et al. Determination of ivabradine in human plasma by LC-MS/MS and study of pharmacokinetics. Prog Mod Biomed 2011;14:4.
10. Lu C, Jia Y, Yang J, Jin X, Song Y, Liu W, et al. Simultaneous determination of ivabradine and N-desmethylIvabradine in human plasma and urine using a LC-MS/MS method: application to a pharmacokinetic study. Acta Pharm Sin B 2012;2:205-12.
11. Jiang J, Tian L, Huang Y, Li Y. Development and validation of a sensitive LCMS/MS ESI method for the determination of ivabradine in human plasma: application to a pharmacokinetic study. Biomed Chromatogr 2013;27:1603-8.
12. Panda S, Patra S. Rapid and selective UV spectrophotometric and RP-HPLC methods for dissolution studies of ivabradine controlled-release formulations. PharmaTutor 2014;2:201-3.
13. Bhosale SD, Vanjari SS, Nikhil SJ. Development of stability indicating a spectrophotometric method for the estimation of Ivabradine hydrochloride in bulk and in tablet formulation. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;5:1919-27.
14. Sládkova V, Dammer O, Sedmak G, Skorepova E, Kratochvil B. Ivabradine hdrochloride (S)-mandelic acid co-crystal: In situ preparation during formulation. Crystals 2017;7:13.
15. Masciocchi N, Aulisio A, Bertolini G, Sada M, Garis F, Malpezzi L. Disclosing the extensive crystal chemistry of ivabradine hydrochloride in its pure and solvated phases. Powder Diffr 2013;28:200-6.
16. Kothiya OM, Patel BA, Patel KN, Patel MM. Formulation and characterization of sustained release matrix tablets of ivabradine using full factorial design. Int J Appl Pharm 2018;10:59-66.
17. Duval D, Hennig P, Bouchet JP, Vian J, Peglion JL, Volland JP, et al. Stereochemical study of a bradicardisant benzazepine type drug-X-ray structure of the chloride salt and high field NMR study of the stereochemistry in solution. Magn Reson Chem 1997;35:175-83.
18. Mostafa NM, Fayez YM, Farid JF, El-Alim AEB. Stability indicating spectrophotometric methods for determination of ivabradine hydrochloride in the presence of its degradation product. Anal Chem Lett 2018;7:280-94.
19. Kumar SA, Bhaskar BL. Spectrophotometric evaluation of nimesulide impurity d: 4-nitro-2-phenoxyaniline using 8-hydroxyquinoline as an oxidative coupling reagent. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:204-6.
20. Kumar SA, Bhaskar BL. Computational and spectral studies of nimesulide impurity D: 4-nitro 2-phenoxy aniline. Asian J Chem 2015;27:3907-12.
21. Devi OS, Basavaiah K, Revanasiddappa HD, Vinay KB. Titrimetric and spectrophotometric assay of pantoprazole in pharmaceuticals using cerium (IV) sulphate as oxidometric agent. J Anal Chem 2011;66:490-5.
22. Int Conf on Harmonization of technical requirements for registration of pharmaceuticals for human use, ICH Harmonized Tripartite Guideline Validation of Analytical Procedures: Text and Methodology Q2(R1), London; 2005.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.