THE EFFECT OF LUNASIN ON LIVER HISTOPATHOLOGY OF MICE INDUCED BY AZOXIMETHANE (AOM) AND DEXTRAN SODIUM SULPHATE (DSS)
Objective: Azoximethane (AOM) and dextran sodium sulfate (DSS) are commonly used to induce colorectal cancer, but have side effects on the liver. AOM can induce hepatic histopathological changes such as the appearance of microvesicular steatosis and necrosis. DSS plays a role in causing inflammation and indirect scarring through colitis. This study aimed to determine in mice the effect of lunasin on the liver histopathology induced by AOM and DSS.
Methods: This was an experimental study conducted in BALB/c mice. The data analyzed were the results of quantification of foci of necrosis, steatosis, and dysplasia from liver preparations of mice given lunasin extract at doses of 20, 30, and 40 mg/kg and control group.
Results: This study showed a significant decrease in the number of foci of necrosis in the group given 30 mg/kg lunasin, with a mean score of 9.0±3.4 compared with the control group mean score of 14.0±0.8 (P = 0.017). There was also a significant decrease in the number of foci of steatosis in the group given 30 mg/kg lunasin with a mean score of 3.8±1.3 compared with the control group mean score of 11.5±1.9 (P = 0.002).
Conclusion: The results of this study indicate that lunasin at doses above 30 mg/kg can inhibit the formation of foci of necrosis and steatosis induced in mouse liver by AOM and DSS.
2. Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, Forman D, Mathers C, Parkin DM. Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in 2008:GLOBOCAN 2008. Int J Cancer 2008;127:2893–917.
3. Matkowskyj KA, Marrero JA, Carroll RE, Danilkovich AV, Green RM, Benya RV. Azoxymethane-induced fulminant hepatic failure in C57BL/6J mice: characterization of a new animal model. Am J Physiol–Gastrointest Liver Physiol 1999;277:G455–G462.
4. Nozaki T, Fujihara H, Watanabe M, Tsutsumi M, Nakamoto K, Kusuoka O, et al. Parp-1 deficiency implicated in colon and liver tumorigenesis induced by azoxymethane. Cancer Sci 2003;94:497–500.
5. Gäbele E, Dostert K, Hofmann C, Wiest R, Scholmerich J, Hellerbrand C, et al. DSS induced colitis increases portal LPS levels and enhances hepatic inflammation and fibrogenesis in experimental NASH. J Hepatol 2011;55:1391–9.
6. Hernandez Ledesma B, de Lumen BO, Hsieh CC. 1997–2012: fifteen years of research on peptide lunasin. In: Hernndez Ledesma B. editor. Bioactive Food Peptides in Health and Disease [Internet]. InTech; 2013. Available from: http://www.intechopen.com/books/bioactive-food-peptides-in-health-and-disease/1997-2012-fifteen-years-of-research-on-peptide-lunasin. [Last accessed 20 Dec 2015]
7. de Mejia EG, Dia VP. Lunasin and lunasin-like peptides inhibit inflammation through suppression of NF-?B pathway in the macrophage. Peptides 2009;30:2388–98.
8. Adetama D. Analisis permintaan kedelai di indonesia periode 1978–2008. [Jakarta]: Universitas Indonesia; 2011.
9. Hernández Ledesma B, Hsieh CC, de Lumen BO. Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of cancer preventive peptide lunasin in RAW 264.7 macrophages. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2009;390:803–8.
10. Cam A, de Mejia EG. RGD-peptide lunasin inhibits Akt-mediated NF-?B activation in human macrophages through interaction with the ?V?3 integrin. Mol Nutr Food Res 2012;56:1569–81.
11. Burlamaqui IMB, Dornelas CA, Almeida PRC, Jamacaru FVF, Mota DMC, Mesquita FJC, et al. Hepatic repercussions of azoxymethane-induced colorectal carcinogenesis. Rev Colegio Bras Cir 2013;40:137–41.
12. Fernandez Tome S, Ramos S, Cordero Herrera I, Recio I, Goya L, Hernandez Ledesma B. In vitro chemoprotective effect of bioactive peptide lunasin against oxidative stress in human HepG2 cells. Food Res Int 2014;62:793–800.
13. Browning JD, Horton JD. Molecular mediators of hepatic steatosis and liver injury. J Clin Invest 2004;114:147–52.
14. Karlsson A, Jagervall A, Pettersson M, Andersson AK, Gillberg PG, Melgar S. Dextran sulphate sodium induces acute colitis and alters hepatic function in hamsters. Int Immunopharmacol 2008;8:20–7.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.