THE EFFECTS OF CURCUMIN ADMINISTRATION ON EXPRESSION PATTERNS OF VEGF AND COX-2 IN FERTILE ENDOMETRIUM: A RANDOMISED CLINICAL TRIAL
Objective: Curcumin (diferuloylmethane) is a a compound isolated from turmeric with biological activities, including antifertility. Curcumin inhibits COX-2 expression in granulosa cells of ovarian follicles and disrupts vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) derived angiogenesis in the endometrium, reducing endometrial receptivity. The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of curcumin on COX-2 and VEGF expression in endometrium of fertile women.
Methods: A prospective double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial was conducted in a group of fertile women with regular menstrual cycles, aged between 20-30 y, married, and with children. Subjects were divided into a group receiving daily 800 mg encapsulated curcumin. Curcumin orally for ten days, starting on the third day of the first menstrual day, and a control group. Endometrial biopsy was performed using a microcuret and immunohistochemistry was used to assess VEGF and COX-2 expression. The results were analysed using an independent sample t-test.
Results: In the curcumin-treated group, VEGF expression was significantly lower than the control group (p<0.05), and COX-2 expression was higher but not significantly so (p>0.05).
Conclusion: The curcumin causes VEGF expression in endometrium is lower and negatively affects the growth of endometrial stromal cells.
2. Chattopadhay I, Kausnik B, Bandyopadhyay U, Banerjee RK. Turmeric and curcumin: biological actions and medicinal applications. Curr Sci 2004;87:44-53.
3. Rithaporn T, Monga M, Rajasekaran M. Curcumin: a potential vaginal contraceptive. Contraception 2003;68:219-23.
4. Naz RK. Can curcumin provide an ideal contraceptive? Mol Reprod Dev 2011;78:116-23.
5. Kressin P, Wolber EM, Wodrich H, Malik AM, Buchweitz O, Diedrich K, et al. Vascular endothelial growth factor mRNA in eutopic and ectopic endometrium. Fertil Steril 2001;76:1220-4.
6. Smith SK. Angigenesis, vascular endothelial growth factor and the endometrium. Human Reproduction Update 1998;4:509-19.
7. Felemban A, Sammour A, Tulandi T. Serum vascular endothelial growth factor as a possible marker for early ectopic pregnancy. Hum Reprod 2002;17:490-2.
8. Purwanti E. Ekspresi cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2), ketebalan endometrium dan jumlah sel epitel luminal uterus akibat pemberian kurkumin pada rattus norvegicus strain sprague dawley setelah mendapat stimulasi luteinizing hormone. Thesis, Universitas Gadjah Mada, Yogyakarta, Indonesia; 2009.
9. Adiyanti SS. Perubahan reseptivitas endometrium rattus norvegicuc fase estrus akibat pemberian kurkumin. Tesis, Universitas Gadjah Mada, Yogyakarta, Indonesia; 2006.
10. Elnashar, Aboul-Enein. Endometrial reseptivity. Middle East Fertility Society J 2004;9:10-24.
11. Altman DG, Schulz KF, Moher D, Egger M, Davidoff F, Elbourne D, et al. The revised CONSORT statement for reporting randomized trials: explanation and elaboration. Ann Intern Med 2001;134:663-94.
12. Schulz KF, Altman DG, Moher D, Grup C. Research methods and reporting CONSORT 2010 statement: updated guidelines for reporting parallel group randomised trials. Br Med J 2010;304:698-702.
13. Wieser F, Yu J, Park J, Sidell N, Taylor RN. Curcumin suppresses angiogenesis, cell proliferation and induces apoptosis in an in vitro model of endometriosis. Fertility Steril 2007;88:204-S205.
14. Felemban A, Sammour A, Tulandi T. Serum vascular endothelial growth factor as a possible marker for early ectopic pregnancy. Hum Reprod 2002;17:490-2.
15. Charnock Jones DS, Sharkey AM, Rajput Williams, Burch D, Schofield JP, Fountain SA, et al. Identification and localization of alternately spliced mRNAs for vascular endothelial growth factor in human uterus and estrogen regulation in endometrial carcinoma cell lines. Biol Repro 1993;48:1120-8
16. Saito M, Sato Y, Watanabe J, Kuramato H, Kaba S, Fukuda T. Angiogenic factors in normal endometrium and endometrial adenocarcinoma. Pathol Intern 2007;57:140-7
17. Sugino N, Kashida S, Karube Harada A, Takiguchi S, Kato H. Expression of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) and its receptors in human endometrium throughout the menstrual cycle and in early pregnanc. Reproduction 2002;123:379-87.
18. Macpherson AM, Archer DF, Leslie S, Charnock Jones DS, Makkink WK, Smith SK. The effect of etonogestrel on VEGF, oestrogen and progesterone receptor immunoreactivity and endothelial cell number in human endometrium. Hum Reprod 1999;14:3080-7.
19. Wong WY, DeWitt DL, Smith WL, Richards JS. Rapid induction of prostaglandin enderoperoxide synthase in rat periovulatory follicles by luitenizing hormone and camp is blocked by inhibition of transcription and translation. Mol Endocrinol 1989;3:1714-23.
20. Wong WY, Richards JS. Induction of prostaglandin H synthase in rat preovulatory follicles by gonadotropin releasing hormon. Endocrinol 1992;130:3512-21.
21. Shemesh M. Actions of gonadotrophins on the uterus. J Repro Fertil 2001;121:835-42.
22. Sirois J, Sayasith K, Brown KA, Stock AE, Bouchard N, Dore M. Cyclooxygenase-2 and its role in ovulation; a 2004 account. Hum Reprod Update 2004;10:373-85.
23. Puspita D. Ekspresi cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) di sel granulosa folikel ovarium akibat pemberian kurkumin dengan dan tanpa penambahan teofilin setelah stimulasi LH. Thesis, Universitas Gadjah Mada, Yogyakarta, Indonesia; 2011.
24. Smith SK. Angigenesis, vascular endothelial growth factor and the endometrium, Human Reproduction Update; 1998. p. 509-19.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.