DEVELOPMENT AND EVALUATION OF CLOBETASOL–LOADED SOLID LIPID NANOPARTICLES FOR TOPICAL TREATMENT OF PSORIASIS
Objective: The current research was structured to achieve a maximum topical delivery for the drug clobetasol-17-propionate (CP) and to predict the effects of various independent variables like lipid: drug ratio, surfactant, and homogenisation time on particulate characters and performance solid lipid nanoparticles (SLNs).
Methods: CP loaded SLNs were formulated by Emulsification–Homogenization method and optimized using 33 full factorial designs (Design Expert software 11.0). Drug loaded SLNs were evaluated for various parameters like particle size, surface charge, polydispersity index, entrapment efficiency, surface morphology, thermal analysis, in vitro drug release through skin (Franz diffusion cell), drug deposition study and stability.
Results: The optimized formulation (SLNs) attains a minimal Particle size of 133.3±3.66 nm, Poly dispersibility index of 0.179±0.081, % entrapment efficiency of 78.1±1.11 and Zeta potential of-36.2±0.11mV. Skin permeation study of CP loaded SLNs suspension showed prolonged drug release up to 24h. Maximum drug deposition was obtained after developing the drug into SLNs (48.22µg/ml) when compared to pure drug (19.12µg/ml).
Conclusion: SLNs were promising colloidal particulate carriers by which prolonged drug release and improved skin permeation was achieved for the drug Clobetasol Propionate.
2. Tsuruta, NF-kappaB links keratinocytes and lymphocytes in the pathogenesis of psoriasis. Recent Pat Inflamm Allergy Drug Discov. 2009 Jan; 3(1):40-8.
3. J Krueger, A Bowcock. Psoriasis pathophysiology: current concepts of pathogenesis. Ann Rheum Dis. 2005 Mar; 64(Suppl 2): ii30–ii36.
4. T. Mabuchi, T.W. Chang, S. Quinter, Chemokine receptors in the pathogenesis and therapy of psoriasis. J Dermatol Sci. 2012 Jan;65(1):4-11.
5. B.J. Nickoloff, F.O. Nestle, Recent insights into the immunopathogenesis of psoriasis provide new therapeutic opportunities. J Clin Invest. 2004 Jun 15; 113(12): 1664–1675.
6. Senyi?it T1, Sonvico F, Barbieri S, Ozer O, Santi P, Colombo P. Lecithin/chitosan nanoparticles of clobetasol-17-propionate capable of accumulation in pig skin. J Control Release. 2010 Mar 19;142(3):368-73.
7. Patel HK1, Barot BS, Parejiya PB, Shelat PK, Shukla A. Topical delivery of clobetasol propionate loaded microemulsion based gel for effective treatment of vitiligo: ex vivo permeation and skin irritation studies. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces. 2013 Feb 1; 102:86-94.
8. Seyyed Sohrab Rostamkalaei, Jafar Akbari, MajidSaeedi, KatayounMorteza-Semnani, AliNokhodchi. Topical gel of Metformin solid lipid nanoparticles: A hopeful promise as a dermal delivery system. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces Volume 175, 1 March 2019, Pages 150-157.
9. Rainer H.Müller, Karsten Mäder, Sven Gohla. Solid lipid nanoparticles (SLN) for controlled drug delivery – a review of the state of the art. European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics
Volume 50, Issue 1, 3 July 2000, Pages 161-177.
10. Pauporte M, Maibach H, Lowe N, Pugliese M, Friedman DJ, Mendelsohn H, Cargill I, Ramirez R. Fluocinolone acetonide topical oil for scalp psoriasis. J Dermatolog Treat. 2004 Dec;15(6):360-4.
11. Das S, Ng WK, Kanaujia P, Kim S, Tan RB. Formulation design, preparation and physicochemical characterizations of solid lipid nanoparticles containing a hydrophobic drug: effects of process variables. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces. 2011 Nov 1;88(1):483-9.
12. Khurana S, Bedi PM, Jain NK. Preparation and evaluation of solid lipid nanoparticles based nanogel for dermal delivery of meloxicam. Chem Phys Lipids. 2013 Oct-Nov;175-176:65-72.
13. MingxingLiu, JingDong, YajiangYang, XiangliangYang, HuibiXu. Characterization and release of triptolide-loaded poly (d,l-lactic acid) nanoparticles. European Polymer Journal Volume 41, Issue 2, February 2005, Pages 375-382.
14. Agrawal Y, Petkar KC, Sawant KK. Development, evaluation and clinical studies of Acitretin loaded nanostructured lipid carriers for topical treatment of psoriasis. Int J Pharm. 2010 Nov 30;401(1-2):93-102.
15. Kilfoyle BE, Sheihet L, Zhang Z, Laohoo M, Kohn J, Michniak-Kohn BB. Development of paclitaxel-TyroSpheres for topical skin treatment. J Control Release. 2012 Oct 10;163(1):18-24.
16. Rawat M, Saraf S, Saraf S. Influence of selected formulation variables on the preparation of enzyme-entrapped Eudragit S100 microspheres. AAPS PharmSciTech. 2007 Dec 28;8(4):E116.
17. Harshad Vaghasiya, Abhinesh Kumar, Krutika Sawant. Development of solid lipid nanoparticles based controlled release system for topical delivery of terbinafine hydrochloride. European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 49 (2013) 311–322.
18. Guttman-Yassky E, Krueger JG. Psoriasis: evolution of pathogenic concepts and new therapies through phases of translational research. Br J Dermatol. 2007 Dec;157(6):1103-15.
19. Priyanka Tripathi, Animesh Kumar, Pavan Kumar Jain, Jay Ram Patel. Carbomer gel bearing methotrexate loaded lipid nanocontainers shows improved topical delivery intended for effective management of psoriasis. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules 120 (2018) 1322 –1334.
20. Swapnil Kumara, Reema Narayana, Vasif Ahammeda, Yogendra Nayakb, Anup Nahaa,Usha Y. Nayaka. Development of ritonavir solid lipid nanoparticles by Box Behnken design for intestinal lymphatic targeting. Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology 44 (2018) 181–189.
21. Madhulika Pradhan, Deependra Singh, Manju Rawat Singh. Development characterization and skin permeating potential of lipid based novel delivery system for topical treatment of psoriasis. Chemistry and Physics of Lipids 186 (2015) 9–16.
22. Madhu Gupta, Suresh P. Vyas. Development, characterization and in vivo assessment of effective lipidic nanoparticles for dermal delivery of fluconazole against cutaneous candidiasis. Chemistry and Physics of Lipids 165 (2012) 454–461.
23. Cornelia M. Keck, Andjelka Kovacevi, Rainer H. Müller, Sne žana Savi, Gordana Vuleta, Jela Mili. Formulation of solid lipid nanoparticles (SLN): The value of different alkyl polyglucoside surfactants. International Journal of Pharmaceutics 474 (2014) 33–41.
24. H.R. Kelidari, M. Saeedi, J. Akbari, K. Morteza-Semnani, P. Gill, Formulation optimization and in vitro skin penetration of spironolactone loaded solid lipid nanoparticles. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces 128 (2015) 473–479.
25. Sonali Bose, Yuechao Du, Paul Takhistov, Bozena Michniak-Kohn. Formulation optimization and topical delivery of quercetin from solid lipid based nanosystems. International Journal of Pharmaceutics 441 (2013) 56–66.
26. Sonali Bose, Bozena Michniak-Kohn. Preparation and characterization of lipid based nanosystems for topical delivery of quercetin. European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 48 (2013) 442–45.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.