INHIBITION ACTIVITY OF CLEOME SPECIES EXTRACT ON ONION GUEST ROOT
Objective: Biological control is useful in agricultural. Allelopathy plays an important factor in crop productivity. The effect of allelopathy is able to produce and release allelochemicals or phytochemicals to inhibit or stimulate seed germination, seeding growth, shoot and root growth of other crops. The aim of this study was to evaluate the inhibitory activity of Cleome viscose and Cleome spinosa extracts on onion guest roots length.
Methods: The whole plants of C. viscose and C. spinosa were extracted with dichloromethane, ethyl acetate, methanol and distilled water, respectively. Each group of onion guests was sprayed at various concentrations as 100, 200, 400, 800 and 1600 parts per million for the treatment. The root growth was measured every day for 1 month.
Results: At concentration of 1600 ppm, methanol crude extract of C. spinose showed the highest percent inhibitory activity value of 91.68. Ethyl acetate and methanol crude extracts of C. viscose showed strong inhibitory activity with percentage values of 90.17 and 90.90, respectively, at concentration of 1600 ppm. Moreover, the methanol extract of C. viscose and C. spinosa evaluated higher inhibitory activity than other solvent. However, distilled water crude extract of C. spinose showed weak inhibitory activity with the percentage value of 40.05 at concentration of 1600 ppm.
Conclusions: In this study, the methanol crude extract of C. spinose showed potent inhibitory activity on root growth. Moreover, ethyl acetate and methanol crude extracts of C. viscose evaluated strong inhibitory activity. C. viscose and C. spinosa extracts possessed allelochemicals for postharvest biology and technology in plants.
2. Han CM, Pan KW, Wu N, Wang JC, Li W. Allelopathic effect of ginger on seed germination and seedling growth of soybean and chive. Sci Hortic 2008;116:330-6.
3. Ali HH, Tanveer A, Nadeem MA, Javaid MM, Kashif MS, Chadhar AR. Allelopathic effects of Rhynchosia capitata on germination and seeding growth of Mungbean. Planta Daninha 2013;31:501-9.
4. Arowosegbe S, Wintola OA, Afolayan AJ. Phytochemical constituents and allelopathic effect of Aloe ferox Mill. Root extract on tomato. J Med Plants Res 2012;6:2094-9.
5. Amb MK, Ahluwalia AS. Allelopathy: Potential role to achieve new milestones in rice cultivation. Rice Sci 2016;23:165-83.
6. Yousaf Z, Umer A, Younas A, Khan F, Wang Y. Allelopathic Plants: 24. Genus Allium L. Allelopathy J 2012;29:1-12.
7. Wang Y, Tian WX, Ma XF. Inhibitory effects of onion (Allium cepa L.) extract on proliferation of cancer cells and adipocytes via inhibiting fatty acid synthase. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 2012;13:5573-9.
8. Vaijapurkar SG, Agarwal D, Chaudhuri SK, Senwar KR, Bhatnagar PK. Gamma-irradiated onions as a biological indicator of radiation dose. Radiat Meas 2001;33:833-6.
9. Devi BP, Boominathan R, Mandal SC. Evaluation of antipyretic potential of Cleome viscosa Linn. (Capparidaceae) extract in rats. J Ethnopharmacol 2003;87:11-3.
10. Sungh H, Ali SS, Khun NA, Mishra KA, Mushra AK. Wound healing potential of Cleome viscosa Linn. seeds extract and isolation of active constituent. S Afr J Bot 2017;112:460-5.
11. Parimala D, Boominathan R, Mandal SC. Evaluation of anti-diarrheal activity of Cleome viscosa L. extract in rats B. Phytomedicine 2002;9:739-42.
12. Bose U, Bala V, Ghosh TN, Gunasekaran K, Rahman AA. Antinociceptive, cytotoxic and antibacterial activities of Cleome viscosa leaves. Rev Bras Farmacogn 2011;21:165-9.
13. Mali RG, Mahajan SG, Mehta AA. In vitro screening of Cleome viscosa extract for anthelmintic activity. Pharm Biol 2007;45:766-8.
14. Ladhari A, Omezzine F, Greca MD, Zarrelli A, Zuppolini S, Haouala R. Phytotoxic activity of Cleome arabica L. and its principal discovered active compounds. S Afr J Bot 2013;88:341-51.
15. ?lba? A?, Gönen U, Yilmaz S, Dadandi MY. Cytotoxicity of Aloe vera gel extracts on Allium cepa root tip cells. Turk J Bot 2012;36:263-8.
16. Anbarasan R, Prabhakaran J. Allelopathic potential of weed species Ageratum conyzoides L. and Cleome viscose L. on germination and growth of Sesamum indicum L. Kong Res J 2015;2:114-7.
17. Babilie R, Jbour M, Trabi BA. Effect of foliar spraying with licorice root and seaweed extraction growth and seed production of onion (Allium cepa L.). Int J Chem Tech Res 2015;8:557-63.
18. Dogra BS, Mandradia RK. Effect of seaweed extract on growth and yield of onion. Int J Farm Sci 2012;2:59-64.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.