A COMPARATIVE IN VITRO ANTI-BIOFILM EFFICACY OF PHYTOSYNTHESIZED IRON AND SILVER NANOPARTICLES
Objective: The objective of the work was to evaluate the efficacy of anti-biofilm activity of green synthesized silver and iron oxide nanoparticles comparatively.
Methods: Nanoparticles were synthesized using a rapid, single-step and completely by a green biosynthetic method employing aqueous leaf extracts of Moringa oleifera Lam. The synthesized nanoparticles were characterized by UV-Vis spectrophotometry and X-Ray Diffraction. Bacterial strains used in this study included Staphylococcus epidermidis and Pseudomonas aeruginosa. The biofilm reduction was evaluated through ring test using crystal violet as a staining agent.
Results: Colour change was observed after half an hour, which indicated the formation of silver and iron nanoparticles. Synthesis of nanoparticles was confirmed by UV and XRD. The anti-biofilm forming ability of AgNPs and FeNPs were compared with standard antibiotic. It was found that FeNPs showed more biofilm destruction ability (58%) for S. compared to P. aeruginosa (50%) and standard (30%). Whereas, AgNPs displayed significant biofilm destruction ability (78%) for P. aeruginosa compared to S. epidermidis (43%) and standard (34%).
Conclusion: Based on the results obtained in this investigation, it is concluded that FeNPs have anti-biofilm activity against S. epidermidis whereas AgNPs have anti-biofilm activity against P. aeruginosa.
2. Graham JG, Quinn ML, Fabricant DS, Farnsworth NR. Plants used against cancer–an extension of the work of Jonathan Hartwell. J Ethopharmacol 2000;73:347-77.
3. Sobha K, Surendranath K, Meena V, Jwala KT, Swetha N, Latha KSM. Antibacterial activity of ZnO nanoparticle on gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria, J Biotechnol 2010;4:1368-73.
4. Gholivand MB, Pashabadi A, Azadbakht A, Menati S. A nano-structured Ni(II)–ACDA modified gold nanoparticle self-assembled electrode for electrocatalytic oxidation and determination of tryptophan. Electrochim Acta 2011;56:4022-30.
5. Berry CC, Curtis ASG. Functionalization of magnetic nanoparticles for applications in biomedicine. J Phys D Appl Phys 2003;36:198-206.
6. Azam A, Amed AS, Oves M, Khan MS, Habib SS, Memic A. Antimicrobial activity of metal oxide nanoparticles against gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria: a comparative study. Int J Nanomed 2012;7:6003-9.
7. Chan DCF, Kirpotin DB, Bunn PA. Synthesis and evaluation of colloidal magnetic iron oxides for the site-specific radiofrequency induced hyperthermia of cancer. J Magn Magn Mater 1993;122:374-8.
8. Beets Tan RGH, Beets GL, Bortslap ACW, Oei TK, Teune TM, Von Meyenfeldt MF, et al. Preoperative assessment of local tumor extent in advanced rectal cancer: CT or high-resolution MRI? Abdom Imaging 2000;25:533-41.
9. Matheson LJ, Tratnyek PG. Reductive dehalogenation of chlorinated methanes by iron metal. Environ Sci Technol 1994:28:2045–53.
10. Donlan RM, Costerton JW. Biofilms: survival mechanisms of clinically relevant microorganisms. Clin Microbiol Rev 2002;15:167–93.
11. Salman JAS, Al-Marjani MF, Abdulrazaq RA, Salman IAS, Kamil NB. Antibiofilm effect of iron oxide nanoparticles synthesized by Lactobacillus fermentum on catheter. World J Pharm Res 2015;4:1-12.
12. Pramila M, Meenakshisundaram M. Biosynthesis of iron (fe) nanoparticles and its inhibitory effect on Pseudomonas aeruginosa biofilm. Indian J Appl Res 2017;7:251-4.
13. Simoes M, Bennet NR, Rosa EAS. Understanding antimicrobial activities of phytochemicals against multidrug-resistant bacteria and biofilms. Nat Prod Rep 2009;26:746-57.
14. Onsare JG, Arora DS. The antibiofilm potential of flavonoids extracted from Moringa oleifera seed coat against Staphylococcus aureus, Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Candida albicans. J Appl Microbiol 2013;118:313-25.
15. Agbor MA, Naidoo S. Ethnomedicinal plants used by traditional healers to treat oral health problems in cameroon. J Evidence-Based Complementary Altern Med 2015;2:1-10.
16. Bagherzade G, Tavakoli MM, Namaei MH. Green synthesis of iron nanoparticles using the aqueous extract of Musa ornata flower sheath against pathogenic bacteria. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2017;7:227-33.
17. Prasad TNVKV, Elumalai EK. Biofabrication of Ag nanoparticles using Moringa oleifera leaf extract and their antimicrobial activity. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2011;1:439-42.
18. Latha N, Gowri M. Biosynthesis and characterization of Fe3 O4 nanoparticles using Caricaya papaya leaves extract. Int J Sci Res 2014;12:17.
19. Veerasamy R, Xin TZ, Gunasagaran S, Xiang TFW, Yang EFC, Jeyakumar N, Dhanaraj SA. Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles using mangosteen leaf extract and evaluation of their antimicrobial activities. J Saudi Chem Soc 2011;15:113-20.
20. Gottimukkala KSV, Harika RP, Deeveka Z. Green synthesis of iron nanoparticles using green tea leaves extract. J Nanomed Biother Discovery 2017;7:151.
21. Vijay Kumar PPN, Pammi SVN, Kollu P, Satyanarayana KVV, Shameem U. Green synthesis and characterization of silver nanoparticles using Boerhaavia diffusa plant extract and their antibacterial activity. Ind Crops Prod 2014;52:562–6.
22. Kanagasubbulakshmi S, Kadirvelu K. Green synthesis of iron oxide nanoparticles using Lagenaria siceraria and evaluation of its antimicrobial activity. Defence Sci J 1994;2:422-7.
23. Prasannaraj G, Venkatachalam P. Green engineering of biomolecule-coated metallic silver nanoparticles and their potential cytotoxic activity against cancer cell lines. Adv Nat Sci Nanosci Nanotech 2017;8:025001.
24. Barapatre A, Aradil KR, Jha H. Synergistic antibacterial and antibiofilm activity of silver nanoparticles biosynthesized by lignin-degrading fungus. Bioresour Bioprocess 2016;3:8.
25. Anju K, Anita Jagadeeswari L, Vidhya Lakshmi D, Nagendra Gandhi N. A review on Indian tribal plants and their biogenic properties. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:43-9.
26. El-Assal MI, El-Menofy NG. Chitosan nanoparticles as a drug delivery system for cephalexin and its antimicrobial activity against multidrug-resistant bacteria. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2019;11:14-27.
27. Phatak RS, Hendre A. Green synthesis of silver nanorods using aqueous extract of kalanchoe pinnata fresh leaves and its synergistic effect with ciprofloxacin and antibiofilm activities. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;8:168-4.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.