CYTOTOXIC ACTIVITY OF ERIOCAULON CINEREUM R.BR TO MCF-7 AND VERO CELL LINE
Objective: The aim of the study was to determine the strength of the Eriocaulon cinereum R.Br plant against breast cancer cells (MCF7) and cytotoxic
against Vero cells.
Methods: E. cinereum R.Br was taken from the province of Bangka Belitung and then extracted in stages with n-hexane, ethyl acetate, and methanol.
Then, the ethyl acetate extract was fractionated using the vacuum liquid chromatography method with dichloromethane and ethyl acetate solvents.
Sample was tested for MCF-7 cells and Vero cells using the MTT method (3-(4,5-dimethylthiazol-2-yl)-2,5-diphenyltetrazolium bromide). The data
obtained is analyzed by probit SPSS.
Results: The results of this study showed that the best IC50 extract was ethyl acetate extract with an IC50 value of 450.31 μg/ml. Then, ethyl acetate
extract produced dichloromethane fraction with IC50 value of 443.52 μg/ml and ethyl acetate with IC50 value of 214.75 μg/ml. Ethyl acetate fraction
was also tested against Vero cells to see cytotoxic against normal human cells with IC50 679.11 μg/ml
American Cancer Society; 2017.
2. Cheuk IW, Shin VY, Kwong A. Detection of methylated circulating
DNA as noninvasive biomarkers for breast cancer diagnosis. J Breast
3. Lee J, Choi J, Chung S, Park J, Kim JE, Sung H, et al. Genetic
predisposition of polymorphisms in HMGB1-related genes to breast
cancer prognosis in Korean women. J Breast Cancer 2017;20:27-34.
4. Indonesian Ministry of Health. Situasi Penyakit Kanker. Buletin
Jendela: Data dan Informasi Kesehatan; 2015. p. 2-3.
5. Fridlender M, Kapulnik Y, Koltai H. Plant derived substances with anticancer
activity: From folklore to practice. Front Plant Sci 2015;6:799.
6. Fan Y, Lu H, An L, Wang C, Zhou Z, Feng F, et al. Effect of active
fraction of Eriocaulon sieboldianum on human leukemia K562 cells
via proliferation inhibition, cell cycle arrest and apoptosis induction.
Environ Toxicol Pharmacol 2016;43:13-20.
7. Chang YC, Tai KW, Huang FM, Huang MF. Cytotoxic and nongenotoxic
effects of phenolic compounds in human pulp cell cultures. J Endod
8. Kim DS, Jeon BK, Lee YE, Woo WH, Mun YJ. Diosgenin induces
apoptosis in hepG2 cells through generation of reactive oxygen species
and mitochondrial pathway. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med
9. Tian C, Chen K. Investigation and application progress of vero cell
serum-free culture. Int J Biol 2009;1:41-7.
10. Nugraha AT, Ramadhan V, Pandapotan H, Romadhonsyah F. A study
of proliferative activity of herbs Eriocaulon cinereum R.Br on cervical
cancer cells (HeLa) with MTT assay method. Int J Pharm Med Biol Sci
11. Cichello SA, Yao Q, He XQ. Proliferative activity of a blend of
Echinacea angustifolia and Echinacea purpurea root extracts in human
vein epithelial, heLa, and QBC-939 cell lines, but not in beas-2b cell
lines. J Tradit Complement Med 2016;6:193-7.
12. Gibbons S. An Introduction to Planar Chromatography. 2nd ed. Totowa
New Jersey: Humana Press; 2006. p. 77-116.
13. Xu Q, Xie H, Wu P, Wei X. Flavonoids from the capitula of Eriocaulon
australe. Food Chem 2013;139:149-54.
14. Srisawat T, Chumkaew P, Heed-Chim W, Sukpondma Y, Kanokwiroon K.
Phytochemical screening and cytotoxicity of crude extracts of Vatica
diospyroides Symington type LS. Trop J Pharm Res 2013;12:71-6.
15. Carocho M, Ferreira IC. The role of phenolic compounds in the fight
against cancer a review. Anticancer Agents Med Chem 2013;13:1236?58.
16. Gupta A, Kumar BS, Negi AS. Current status on development of steroids
as anticancer agents. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 2013;137:242-70.
17. Huang M, Lu JJ, Huang MQ, Bao JL, Chen XP, Wang YT, et al.
Terpenoids: Natural products for cancer therapy. Expert Opin Investig
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.