THE EFFECTS OF CURCUMIN AND VITAMIN D COMBINATION AS INHIBITOR TOWARD SALMONELLA TYPHI BACTERIA GROWTH IN VIVO
Objectives: The prevalence of typhoid fever was reportedly high, especially in the Asian continent, as many as 80% of cases came from slums in
Bangladesh, China, India, Indonesia, Laos, Nepal, Pakistan, and Vietnam. Due to many cases of antibiotic resistance in typhoid fever, various efforts
have been made by combining antibiotic therapy or active compounds with adjuvants and herbs. Curcumin is an active compound found in many
herbal plants, especially in the Asian Continent. Curcumin has an antimicrobial effect, presumably due to its ability to bind Vitamin D receptors (VDR)
as a potential ligand. This condition increases the expression of cathelicidin antimicrobial peptides and eradicates bacteria. Vitamin D will definitely
bind to VDR as well; on this basis, this study wants to prove the effect of the combination of curcumin and Vitamin D therapy in inhibiting the growth
of Salmonella typhi.
Methods: This study is a true experimental pre- and post-test design using colony calculation method to investigate the effectiveness of curcumin and
Vitamin D in suppressing the growth of S. typhi bacteria in peritoneal fluid male mice strain balb/c. Mice were divided into five groups randomly, namely,
the negative control groups, Group I (curcumin 200 mg/BB/day), Group II (curcumin 400 mg/BB/day), and Group III (curcumin 200 mg/BB/day and
Vitamin D 200 IU/day), and the positive control groups (antibiotic levofloxacin). The intervention was carried out for 5 days. After the 5th day, mice
were then maintained for 3 weeks to determine the amount of colony growth in the post-intervention period.
Results: The comparison of the results between each group gave significance in the average number of bacterial colonies of intraperitoneal fluid.
Each group gave a significant difference of <0.05. Curcumin has an activity as an antimicrobial, the higher the dose, the greater the number of bacteria
inhibited growth. After curcumin therapy, 200 mg/kg and 400 mg/kg for 5 days, a decrease in the number of bacterial colonies in the intraperitoneal
fluid was found. This study concluded that curcumin has an antimicrobial effect on S. typhi. The groups with combination therapy of Vitamin D and
curcumin intervention also gave the same results.
Conclusion: Based on the results of this study, the combination of curcumin and Vitamin D is able to inhibit the growth of S. typhi bacteria, even up
to 30 days after infection.
Bull World Health Organ 2004;82:346-53.
2. Klochko MD. Salmonella Infection (Salmonellosis) 2017. Available
[Last accessed on 2018 Dec 12].
3. Nester EW, Denise A Jr., Roberts CE. Microbiology: A Human
Perspective. 7th ed. New York, USA: Mc-Graw Hill; 2012.
4. Robertson RP, Wahab MF, Raasch FO. Evaluation of chloramphenicol
and ampicillin in salmonella enteric fever. N Engl J Med 1968;278:171-6.
5. Butler T, Rumans L, Arnold K. Response of typhoid fever caused by
chloramphenicol-susceptible and chloramphenicol-resistant strains of
salmonella typhi to treatment with trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole.
Rev Infect Dis 1982;4:551-61.
6. Lampe RM, Duangmani C, Mansuwan P. Chloramphenicol and
ampicillin-resistant typhoid fever. JAMA 1975;233:768.
7. Crump JA, Mintz ED. Global trends in typhoid and paratyphoid fever.
Clin Infect Dis 2010;50:241-6.
8. Kariuki S, Revathi G, Kiiru J, Mengo DM, Mwituria J, Muyodi J, et al.
Typhoid in kenya is associated with a dominant multidrug-resistant
salmonella enterica serovar typhi haplotype that is also widespread in
Southeast Asia. J Clin Microbiol 2010;48:2171-6.
9. Dolecek C, Tran TP, Nguyen NR, Le TP, Ha V, Phung QT, et al. A multicenter
randomised controlled trial of gatifloxacin versus azithromycin
for the treatment of uncomplicated typhoid fever in children and adults
in Vietnam. PLoS One 2008;3:e2188.
10. Kumar Y, Sharma A, Mani KR. High level of resistance to nalidixic
acid in salmonella enterica serovar typhi in central India. J Infect Dev
11. Dong BQ, Yang J, Wang XY, Gong J, von Seidlein L, Wang ML, et al.
Trends and disease burden of enteric fever in guangxi province, China,
1994-2004. Bull World Health Organ 2010;88:689-96.
12. Barbosa TM, Levy SB. The impact of antibiotic use on resistance
development and persistence. Drug Resist Updat 2000;3:303-11.
13. Schwarz S, Chaslus-Dancla E. Use of antimicrobials in veterinary
medicine and mechanisms of resistance. Vet Res 2001;32:201-25.
14. Guo C, Rosoha E, Lowry MB, Borregaard N, Gombart AF. Curcumin
induces human cathelicidin antimicrobial peptide gene expression
through a Vitamin D receptor-independent pathway. J Nutr Biochem
15. Nizet V, Gallo RL. Cathelicidins and innate defense against invasive
bacterial infection. Scand J Infect Dis 2003;35:670-6.
16. Wang TT, Nestel FP, Bourdeau V, Nagai Y, Wang Q, Liao J, et al. Cutting
edge: 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 is a direct inducer of antimicrobial
peptide gene expression. J Immunol 2004;173:2909-12.
17. Achmad SA, Hakim EH, Makmur L, Syah YM, Juliawaty LD,
Mujahiddin D. Ilmu Kimia dan Kegunaan Tumbuh-tumbuhan Obat
Indonesia. Bandung, Indones: Intitute Teknol; 2007.
18. Brat P, Tourniaire F, Amiot-Carlin MJ. Stability and analysis of
phenolic pigments. In: Socaciu C., editor. Food Colorants: Chemical
and Functional Propertiesi. Boca Raton, FL, USA: CRC Press; 2007. p.
19. Ramprasad C, Sirsi M. Studies on Indian medicinal plants: Curcuma
longa Linn. Effect of curcumin and the essential oils of Curcuma longa
on bile secretion. J Sci Ind Res 1956;15:262-5.
20. Shih AL, Harris ND. Antimicrobial activity of selected antioxidants.
J Food Prot 1977;40:520-2.
21. Winarsih S, Mudjiwijono HE, Sari DT. Antibacterial effects of Curcuma
domestica by ethanol extraction on Shigella dysenteriae isolate 2312-F
in vitro. J Food Sci Technol 2015;52:2272-9.
Fig. 2: Average results of bacteria colony count from all groups
Int J App Pharm, Vol 11, Special Issue 5, 2019
Febriza et al.
4th International Conference on Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Science (ICPPS) 2019 120
22. Fauzah SN, Zulfah IA. Pengaruh pemberian berbagai konsentrasi
ekstrak kunyit (Curcuma longa) terhadap pertumbuhan Escherchia
coli. Fak Kedokt Univ Swadaya Gunung Jati Cirebon 2014;3:1-4.
23. Cut W. Effectiveness test of turmeric extract as anti bacteria in the
growth of Bacillus sp and Shigella dysenteriae in vitro. J Prof Med
24. Yuliati A. Uji efektivitas ekstrak kunyit sebagai anti bakteri dalam
pertumbuhan Bacillus sp dan Shigella dysentriae secara in vitro.
J Profesi Med 2016;10:26-32.
25. Tyagi P, Singh M, Kumari H, Kumari A, Mukhopadhyay K. Bactericidal
activity of curcumin I is associated with damaging of bacterial
membrane. PLoS One 2015;10:e0121313.
26. Rai D, Singh JK, Roy N, Panda D. Curcumin inhibits ftsZ assembly:
An attractive mechanism for its antibacterial activity. Biochem J
27. Wang J, Zhou X, Li W, Deng X, Deng Y, Niu X, et al. Curcumin
protects mice from Staphylococcus aureus pneumonia by interfering
with the self-assembly process of ?-hemolysin. Sci Rep 2016;6:28254.
28. Rahayu SI, Nurdiana N, Santoso S. The effect of curcumin and
cotrimoxazole in salmonella typhimurium infection in vivo. ISRN
29. Brooks GF, Caroll KC, Butel JS, Morse SA, Mietzner TA. Jawetz,
Melnick, and Adelberg’s Medical Microbiology. 25th ed. New York:
McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.; 2010.
30. WHO. (WHO). Typhoid; 2015. Available from: http://www.who.int/
immunization/diseases/typhoid/en. [Last accessed on 2018 Dec 12].
31. Pasteur L. Laboratory Exercises in Microbiology. 5th ed. Boston: The
McGraw-Hill Companies; 2002.
32. Zhang S, Kingsley RA, Santos RL, Andrews-Polymenis H, Raffatellu M,
Figueiredo J, et al. Molecular pathogenesis of Salmonella enterica
serotype typhimurium-induced diarrhea. Infect Immun 2003;71:1-2.
33. Lamont RJ. Bacterial Invasion of Host Cells. Cambridge: Cambridge
University Press; 2004.
34. Huang FC. Vitamin D differentially regulates Salmonella-induced
intestine epithelial autophagy and interleukin-1? expression. World J
35. White JH. Vitamin D signaling, infectious diseases, and regulation of
innate immunity. Infect Immun 2008;76:3837-43.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.