ANTIBACTERIAL ACTIVITIES OF SAPODILLA FRUIT EXTRACT INHIBITING SALMONELLA TYPHI ON MICE BALB/c
Objective: The aim of this study was to see the effectiveness of brown manila extract in inhibiting the growth of Salmonella typhi Thy1 bacteria in
peritoneal fluid male mice strain BALB/c.
Methods: We use manila extract which has been obtained from the extraction of the maceration method and uses the plate count agar (PCA) method
to calculate the number of colonies after conducting bacterial culture before and after the intervention.
Results: The results obtained were a significant decrease of bacterial colonies after administration of manila extract 510 mg/kgBW value p=0.009 and
extract of brown manila 750 mg/kgBB value p=0.007.
Conclusion: Giving extract of mano manila 510 mg/kgBB and 750 mg/kgBB has effectiveness in suppressing the growth of S. typhi Thy1.
Medical Geography and Bacteriology. Vol. 58. Cambridge: Cambridge
University Press; 2014. p. 27-45.
2. Wijedoru L, Mallett S, Parry CM. Rapid diagnostic tests for typhoid
and paratyphoid (enteric) fever. Cochrane Database Syst Rev
3. Handerson A. Typhoid fever. Emerg Acute Infect Dis Guidel
4. Li Z, Zheng Q, Xue XY, Shi X. Pyroptosis of Salmonella typhimurium
infected macrophages was suppressed and elimination of intracellular
bacteria from macrophages was promoted by blocking QseC. Sci Rep
5. Vinod N, Noh HB, Oh S, Ji S, Park HJ, Lee KS, et al. A Salmonella
typhimurium ghost vaccine induces cytokine expression in vitro and
immune responses in vivo and protects rats against homologous and
heterologous challenges. PLoS One 2017;12:e0185488.
6. Ramachandran G, Panda A, Higginson EE, Ateh E, Detolla J,
Tennant SM. Virulence of invasive Salmonella typhimurium ST313 in
animal models of infection. Negl Trop Dis 2017;23:1-14.
7. Kiyuna T, Murakami T, Tome Y, Kawaguchi K, Igarashi K, Zhang Y,
et al. High efficacy of tumor-targeting Salmonella typhimurium A1-R
on a doxorubicin- and dactolisib-resistant follicular dendritic-cell
sarcoma in a patient-derived orthotopic xenograft PDOX nude mouse
model. Oncotarget 2016;7:33046-54.
8. Keddy KH, Sooka A, Smith AM, Musekiwa A, Tau NP, Klugman KP,
et al. Typhoid fever in South Africa in an endemic HIV setting. J PLoS
9. Antillón M, Warren JL, Crawford FW, Weinberger DM, Kürüm E,
Pak GD, et al. The burden of typhoid fever in low and middleincome
countries: A meta-regression approach. PLoS Negl Trop Dis
10. Srivastava M, Hegde M, Chiruvella KK, Koroth J, Bhattacharya S,
Choudhary B, et al. Sapodilla plum (Achras sapota) induces apoptosis
in cancer cell lines and inhibits tumor progression in mice. Sci Rep
11. Tan BL, Norhaizan ME, Chan LC. ROS-mediated mitochondrial
pathway is required for Manilkara zapota (L.) P. Royen leaf methanol
extract inducing apoptosis in the modulation of caspase activation and
EGFR/NF-?B activities of heLa human cervical cancer cells. Evid
Based Complement Alternat Med 2018;2018:6578648.
12. Devatkal SK, Kumboj R, Paul D. Comparative antioxidant effect of
BHT and water extracts of banana and sapodilla peels in raw poultry
meat. J Food Sci Technol 2014;51:387-91.
13. Altemimi A, Lakhssassi N, Baharlouei A, Watson DG, Lightfoot DA.
Phytochemicals: Extraction, isolation, and identification of bioactive
compounds from plant extracts. Plants (Basel) 2017;6:E42.
14. Gupta A, Kothari V. Modern extraction methods for preparation of
bioactive plant extracts. Int J Appl Nat Sci 2014;1:9-18.
15. Bandar H, Hijazi A, Rammal H, Hachem A, Saad Z. Techniques for the
extraction of bioactive compounds from lebanese urtica dioica. Am J
Phytomed Clin Ther 2016;1:2-7.
16. Yeo YL, Chia YY, Lee CH, Sow HS, Yap WS. Effectiveness of
maceration periods with different extraction solvents on in vitro
antimicrobial activity from fruit of momordica. J Appl Pharm Sci
17. Shungu DL, Cook TM. Induction of P22 prophage in Salmonella
typhimurium by hycanthone. J Virol 2013;13:1153-4.
18. Thanh DP, Thompson CN, Rabaa MA, Sona S, Sopheary S, Kumar V,
et al. The molecular and spatial epidemiology of typhoid fever in rural
cambodia. Negl Trop Dis 20165:1-16.
19. Moo-huchin VM, Estrada I. Responses of sapodilla fruit
(Manilkara zapota [L.] P. Royen) to postharvest treatment with
1-methylcyclopropene. Afr J Agric Res 2013;8:2.
20. Lim WS, Rabea MS, Uthumporn U. Development of functional
beverage from sapodilla (Manilkara Zapota L) fruit. Food Res
21. Morais PL, Miranda MR, Lima LC, Alves JD, Alves RE, Silva JD.
Cell wall biochemistry of sapodilla (Manilkara zapota) submitted to
1-methylcyclopropene. Braz J Plant Physiol 2015;20:85-94.
22. Qiuping Z, Wenshui X, Jiang Y. Effects of 1-methylcyclopropene
treatments on ripening and quality of harvested sapodilla fruit. Food
Technol Biotech 2006;44:535-9.
23. Mogasale V, Mogasale VV, Ramani E, Lee JS, Park JY, Lee KS,
et al. Revisiting typhoid fever surveillance in low and middle income
countries: Lessons from systematic literature review of populationbased
longitudinal studies. BMC Infect Dis 2016;16:35.
24. Kaljee LM, Pach A, Thriemer K, Ley B, Ali SM, Jiddawi M, et al.
Utilization and accessibility of healthcare on pemba island, Tanzania:
Implications for health outcomes and disease surveillance for typhoid
fever. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2013;88:144-52.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.