SYNTHESIS, CHARACTERIZATION AND ANTIBACTERIAL ACTIVITY OF CUO NANOPARTICLES
Objective: The present study was done to see the effect of biologically synthesized CuO-NPs (Copperoxide nanoparticles) on the growth of bacterial strains.
Methods: Physico-chemical characterization of CuO-NPs was done by UV-Vis-spectrophotometer, XRD, FE-SEM, and EDS. The disc plate diffusion assay was used to evaluate the anti-bacterial effect of CuNPs.
Results: This study has shown a promising anti-bacterial activity of biosynthesized CuO-NPs at different concentrations ranging from 10 to 100 µg/ml against Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus bacteria.
Conclusion: Nanoparticles (NPs) are small size particles between range 1 to 100 nm which expand their physical and chemical properties due to high surface area. The present study reveals that there may be possible utilization of biosynthesized CuO NPs for the treatment of bacterial infectious disease in near future.
2. Guin R, Banu AS, Kurian AG. Synthesis of copper oxide nanoparticles using desmodium gangeticum aqueous root extract; 2015.
3. K Gopalakrishnan, C Ramesh, V Ragunathan, M Thamilselvan. Antibacterial activity of Cu2O nanoparticles on E. coli synthesized from tridax procumbens leaf extract and surface coating with polyaniline. Digest J Nanomaterials Biostructures 2012;7:833-9.
4. Y Abboud, T Saffaj, A Chagraoui, A El Bouari, K Brouzi, O Tanane, et al. Biosynthesis, characterization and antimicrobial activity of copper oxide nanoparticles (CONPs) produced using brown alga extract (Bifurcaria bifurcata). Appl Nanosci 2014;4:571-6.
5. S Gunalan, R Sivaraj, R Venckatesh. Aloe barbadensis miller mediated green synthesis of mono-disperse copper oxide nanoparticles: optical properties. Spectrochim Acta Part A 2012;97:1140-4.
6. PV Kumar, U Shameem, P Kollu, R Kalyani, S Pammi. Green synthesis of copper oxide nanoparticles using Aloe vera leaf extract and its antibacterial activity against fish bacterial pathogens. BioNanoSci 2015;5:135-9.
7. MJ Guajardo Pacheco, J Morales Sanchez, J Gonzalez Hernandez, F Ruiz. Synthesis of copper nanoparticles using soybeans as a chelant agent. Mater Lett 2010;64:1361-4.
8. P Kumar, VS Kundu, S Kumar, B Saharan, V Kumar, N Chauhan. Hydrothermal synthesis of Cu-ZnO-/TiO 2-based engineered nanomaterials for the efficient removal of organic pollutants and bacteria from water. BioNanoSci 2017;7:574-82.
9. M Valodkar, RN Jadeja, MC Thounaojam, RV Devkar, S Thakore. Biocompatible synthesis of peptide capped copper nanoparticles and their biological effect on tumor cells. Materials Chem Physics 2011;128:83-9.
10. P Kaur, R Thakur, A Chaudhury. Biogenesis of copper nanoparticles using peel extract of punica granatum and their antimicrobial activity against opportunistic pathogens. Green Chem Lett Rev 2016;9:33-8.
11. Demuth B, Farkas A, Pataki H, Balogh A, Szabo B, Borbas E, et al. Detailed stability investigation of amorphous solid dispersions prepared by single-needle and high speed electrospinning. Int J Pharm 2016;498:234-44.
12. El Bairi K, Ouzir M, Agnieszka N, Khalki L. Anticancer potential of Trigonella foenum graecum: cellular and molecular targets. Biomed Pharm 2017;90:479-91.
13. Alvarez Suarez JM, Giampieri F, Gasparrini M, Mazzoni L, Santos Buelga C, Gonzalez Paramas AM, et al. The protective effect of acerola (Malpighia emarginata) against oxidative damage in human dermal fibroblasts through the improvement of antioxidant enzyme activity and mitochondrial functionality. Food Function 2017;8:3250-8.
14. Belwal T, Devkota HP, Hassan HA, Ahluwalia S, Ramadan MF, Mocan A, Atanasov AG. Phytopharmacology of acerola (Malpighia spp.) and its potential as functional food. Trends Food Sci Technol 2018;74:99-106.
15. Hussein NH, Shaarawy H, Hawash S, Abdel Kader AE. Green synthesis of silver nano particles using fenugreek seeds extract. J Eng Appl Sci 2018;13:417-22.
16. Fragoon A, Frah L, Mamoun A. Biosynthesis of gold nanoparticles by fenugreek (Trigonella foenumgraecum) extract. Adv Sci Technol Eng Syst J 2016;1:50-5.
17. Acharyulu N, Dubey R, Swaminadham V, Kalyani R, Kollu P, Pammi S. Green synthesis of CuO nanoparticles using phyllanthus amarus leaf extract and their antibacterial activity against multidrug resistance bacteria. Int J Eng Res Sci Technol 2014;3:639-41.
18. Kim DO, Lee CY. Extraction and isolation of polyphenolics. Curr Protocols Food Anal Chem 2002;6:I1. 2.1-I. 2.12.
19. Kumar A, Saxena A, De A, Shankar R, Mozumdar S. Facile synthesis of size-tunable copper and copper oxide nanoparticles using reverse microemulsions. Res Adv 2013;3:5015-21.
20. Sankar R, Manikandan P, Malarvizhi V, Fathima T, Shivashangari KS, Ravikumar V. Green synthesis of colloidal copper oxide nanoparticles using carica papaya and its application in photocatalytic dye degradation. Spectrochim Acta Part A 2014;121:746-50.
21. Feris K, Otto C, Tinker J, Wingett D, Punnoose A, Thurber A, et al. Electrostatic interactions affect nanoparticle-mediated toxicity to gram-negative bacterium pseudomonas aeruginosa PAO1. Langmuir 2009;26:4429-36.
22. Hosseinkhani P, Zand A, Imani S, Rezayi M, Rezaei Zarchi S. Determining the antibacterial effect of ZnO nanoparticle against the pathogenic bacterium, Shigella dysenteriae (type 1). Int J Nano Dimens 2011;1:279-85.
23. Jayaraman R. Antibiotic resistance: an overview of mechanisms and a paradigm shift. Curr Sci 2009;96:1475-84.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.