QUANTITATIVE ESTIMATION OF RILUZOLE USING SOLUBILIZING AGENT BY UV-SPECTROPHOTOMETRY
Objective: This study was designed to develop and validate a simple, rapid, and economical UV-spectrophotometric method using a solubilising agent for the estimation of Riluzole.
Methods: In this study, a solution of 2% SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulphate) in PH 9.2 buffer was employed as the solubilising agent to solubilise a poorly water-soluble drug, Riluzole. In the UV-spectrophotometric method, Riluzole was estimated at 225 nm using solubilising agent.
Results: Solubilising agent used did not interfere in spectrophotometric analysis of Riluzole. Riluzole followed linearity in the concentration range of 1-5 Î¼g/ml with a coefficient correlation of 0.998.
Conclusion: The developed method has shown to be linear (r2 = 0.9984), precise (%R. S. D of 0.87 and 0.84 at intra and inter day respectively), accurate (recovery of 100.37%) with limit of detection (0.54 Âµg/ ml) and limit of quantification of 1.64Âµg/ ml as per ICH guidelines.
Keywords: Riluzole, UV Spectroscopy, SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulphate), PH 9.2 buffer.
2. Hardiman O, Van den Berg LH, Kiernan MC. Clinical diagnosis and management of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Nat Rev Neurol 2011;7:639-49.
3. Bryson HM, Fulton B, Benfield P. Riluzole. A review of its pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic properties and therapeutic potential in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Drugs 1996;52:549-63.
4. MC Sharma, S Sharma. Validation of UV spectrophotometric method for determination of riluzole pharmaceutical formulation as hydrotropic solubilizing agents. World J Chem 2011;6(2):85-90.
5. Saleh OA, El-Azzouny AA, Aboul-Enein HY, Badawey AM. Riluzole: Validation of Stability-Indicating HPLC, D1 and DD1 Spectrophotometric Assays. J Chromatogr Sci 2014;52(6):539-46.
6. Neeha T, Bhargavi P, Jyothi AA, Devalarao G, Nalluri BN. Stability-indicating Method for the Estimation of Riluzole in Tablets. Indian J Pharm Sci 2013;75(3):372-6.
7. Phanjoubam Lothar. RP-HPLC and hptlc methods for the estimation of riluzole in tablet dosage form. IJBR 2010;1.
8. Phanjoubam Lothar, Rajashree Bhaskar Thube, Naveen Pattanashetty. Spectrophotomtric method for the estimation of riluzole in pharmaceutical dosage. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2011;6(2)183-4.
9. ICH harmonised tripartite guideline validation of analytical procedures: text and methodology q2 (r1) current step 4 version parent guideline dated 27 october 1994 (complementary guideline on methodology dated 6 november 1996 incorporated in november 2005).