MOLECULAR DOCKING STUDIES OF ISOLATED COMPOUNDS ANDROGRAPHOLIDE AND BETULIN FROM METHANOLIC LEAVES EXTRACT OF ANDROGRAPHIS ECHIOIDES AS ALPHA-AMYLASE AND ALPHA-GLUCOSIDASE ACTIVATORS
Objective: The purpose of this study is to isolate and characterize the andrographolide and betulin from methanolic leaves extract of Andrographis echioides and also used to evaluate the alpha-amylase and alpha-glucosidase inhibitory activity of isolated compounds using in silico docking studies.
Methods: The isolation was done using column chromatography using gradient mobile phase. Structural elucidation was carried out on the basis of spectral analysis. In this view, andrographolide and betulin were prepared for the docking evaluation. In silico docking studies were carried out using a recent version of Auto Dock 4.2, which has the basic principle of Lamarckian genetic algorithm.
Results: On the basis of the spectral data, the compounds have been established as andrographolide and betulin are being reported from this plant for the first time. The result showed that the andrographolide showed a binding affinity for amylase: (-7.9 kcal/mol) and for glucosidase (-7.2 kcal/mol) while betulin showed (-8.6 kcal/mol) and (-5.2 kcal/mol), respectively.
Conclusion: Therefore, it is suggested that isolated compounds andrographolide and betulin contributed excellent α-amylase and α-glucosidase inhibitory activity because of its structural parameters. Thus, these isolated compounds can be effectively used as drugs for treating diabetes which is predicted on the basis of docking scores.
2. Maurya U, Srivastava S. Traditional Indian herbal medicine used as antipyretic antiulcer, anti-diabetic and anticancer: a review. Int J Res Pharm Chem 2011;1:2231-781.
3. Mahesh AR, Harish K, Ranganath MK, Raviraj Anand D. Detail study on Boerhaavia diffusa plant for its medicinal importance. Res J Pharm Sci 2012;1:28-36.
4. Patel DK, Kumar R, Laloo D, Hemalatha S. Diabetes mellitus: an overview on its pharmacological aspects and reported medicinal plants having antidiabetic activity. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2012;2:411-20.
5. Burke JP, Williams K, Narayan KMV, Leibson C, Haffner SM, Stem MP. A population perspective on diabetes prevention: whom should be we target for preventing weight gain? Diabetes Care 2004;26:1999-2004.
6. Krolewski AS, Kosinski EJ, Warram JH. Magnitude and determinants of coronary artery disease in juvenile-onset, insulin-depedent diabetes mellitus. Am J Cardiol 1987;59:750-5.
7. Mathivanan D, Suseem SR. Phytochemical and pharmacological review of Andrographis echiodies. J Chem Pharm Res 2015;7:1167-71.
8. Nirubama K, Rubalakshmi. Bioactive compounds in Andrographis echioides (L.) nees. leaves by GC-MS analysis. Int J Curr Res Biosci Plant Biol 2014;1:92-7.
9. Kanchana N, Rubalakshmi. Phytochemical screening and antimicrobial activity of Andrographis echioides (L.) nees–an indigenous medicinal plant. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;3:702-10.
10. Gurupriya S, Cathrine L, Pratheema P, Ramesh J. Isolation and characterization of lupeol from methanolic extract of leaves of Andrographis echioides. Int J Curr Adv Res J 2018;7:11397-402.
11. Gurupriya S, Cathrine L. In vitro antimicrobial activities of (1R,3aR,5aR,5bR,7aR,9S,11aR,11bR,13aR,1 3bR)-3a,5a,5b,8,8, 11a-hexamethyl-1-prop-1-en-2-yl-1,2,3,4,5,6,7,7a,9,10,11,11b,12,13,13a,13b-hexadecahydrocyclopenta[a]chrysen-9-ol isolated from the methanolic leaf extract of Andrographis echioides. Int J Biol Pharm Allied Sci 2020;9:1460-71.
12. Zhang Z, Jiang J, Yu P, Zeng X, Larrick JW. Hypoglycemic and beta-cell protective effects of andrographolide analogue for diabetes treatment. J Transl Med 2009;7:62.
13. Subramanian R, Asmawi MZ, Sadikun A. In vitro alphaglucosidase and alpha-amylase enzyme inhibitory effects of Andrographis paniculata extract and andrographolide. Acta Biochim Pol 2008;55:391–8.
14. Lin WY, Lin FH, Sadhasivam S, Savitha S. Antioxidant effects of betulin on porcine chondrocyte behavior in gelatin/C6S/C4S/HA modified tricopolymer scaffold. Mater Sci Eng C 2010;30:597–604.
15. Hetenyi C, Van der Spoel D. Efficient docking of peptides to proteins without prior knowledge of the binding site. Prot Sci 2002;11:1729-37.
16. Deepti R, Sushila R, Permender R, Aakash D, Sheetal A, Dharmender R. HPTLC densitometric quantification of stigmasterol and lupeol from Ficus religiosa. Arab J Chem 2015;8:366-71.
17. Jain PS, Bari SB. Isolation of lupeol, stigmasterol and campesterol from petroleum ether extract of woody stem of Wrightia tinctoria. Asian J Plant Sci 2010;9:163-7.
18. Amal K Maji, Niladri Maity, Pratim Banerji, Debdulal Banerjee. Validated RP-HPLC-UV method for the determination of betulin in asteracantha longifolia (L) nees. extract. Int J Phytomed 2013;5:131-15.
19. Himanshu Joshi, Gyanendra Kumar Saxena, Vikas Singh, Ekta Arya, Rahul Pratap Singh. Phytochemical investigation, isolation and characterization of betulin from bark of Betula Utilis. J Pharmacogn Phytochem 2013;2:145-51.
20. Shuang T, Wang JX, Zheng XJ. Simple synthesis of allobetulin, 28-oxyallobetulin from betulin and betulinic acid. J Chem Soc 1998;1:3957-65.
21. Zhang S, Kumar K, Jiang X. DOVIS: an implementation for high throughput virtual ending using autodock. BMC Bioinform 2008;9:126-8.
22. Madeswaran A, Umamaheswari M, Asokkumar K, Sivashanmugam T, Subhadradevi V, Jagannath P. Computational drug design of potential ?-amylase inhibitors using some commercially available flavonoids. Bangladesh J Pharmacol 2014;9:72-6.
23. Burgos RA, Caballero EE, Sanchez NS, Schroeder RA, Wikman GK, Hancke JL. Testicular toxicity assessment of Andrographis paniculata dried extract in rats. J Ethnopharmacol 1997;58:219-24.
24. Koteswara Rao Y, Vimalamma G, Rao CV, Tzeng YM. Flavonoids and andrographolides from Andrographis paniculata. Phytochemistry 2004;65:2317-21.
25. Du Q, Jerz G, Winterhalter P. Separation of andrographolide and neoandrographolide from the leaves of Andrographis paniculata using high-speed counter-current chromatography. J Chromatogr A 2003;984:147–51.
26. Soica C, Dehelean C, Danciu C. Betulin complex in c-cyclodextrin derivatives: properties and antineoplasic activities in vitro and in vivo tumor models. Int J Mol Sci 2012;13:14992–5011.
27. Siddiqui S, Hafeez F, Begum S, Siddiqui B, Oleanderol S. A new pentacyclic triterpene from the leaves of nerium oleander. J Nat Prod 1988;51:229-33.
28. Mahato SB, Kundu AP. 13C-NMR spectra of pentacyclic triterpenoids-a compilation and some salient features. Phytochemistry 1994;37:1517-75.
29. Madeswaran A, Umamaheswari M, Asokkumar K, Sivashanmugam T, Subhadradevi V, Jagannath P. Computational drug discovery of potential aldose reductase inhibitors using in silico studies. Elect J Biol 2012;8:67-72.
30. Dias R, Azevedo WF. Molecular docking algorithms. Curr Drug Targets 2008;9:1040-7.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.