DESIGN EXPERT SUPPORTED FORMULATION DEVELOPMENT, MATHEMATICAL OPTIMIZATION AND PREDICTABILITY STUDY OF FLOATING TABLETS OF BISOPROLOL FUMARATE
Objective: Focus of the study was to formulate Design expert Software assisted floating tablet of Bisoprolol Fumarate. Bisoprolol Fumarate is a Beta adrenergic blocking agent, used to treat cardiac diseases favorable characters to be formulated as sustained release Gastro retentive floating tablets.
Methods: Floating Tablets of Bisoprolol Fumarate were prepared by using polymers such as Polyox N 12 K and Carbapol 940 P. Formulations were prepared by using direct compression method and evaluated for various parameters like Hradness, thickness, weight variations, Floating lag time Total floating time,% drug release and Stability Study etc.
Results: FTIR spectroscopic study indicates no drug-excipients interaction in the prepared formulations. Hardness or crushing strength of the tablets of all the formulation was found between 5.8 and 6.5 kg/cm2. Floating lag time of all batches is in range of 1.18±2.0 to 2.43±1.6 (minutes). All other parameters of all batches are within an acceptable range. The polymer Carbopol 940 P had the significant negative effect of on the floating lag times. The In vitro dissolution profiles of optimized A3 Floating formulation of Bisoprolol Fumarate were found to sustain drug release 99.25 % up to 12 h with floating lag time of 1.45 min; Designed formulation was stable after Stability study. Optimization study was carried out by using 32 factorial designs to fabricate formulations.
Conclusion: It can be conclude that reproducible results of various parameters in this developed formulation can easily scale up. Furthermore designed formulation will be very effective for controlling blood pressure.
2. Sathiyaraj S, Ramya DD, Vedha BNH. Lornoxicam gastro retentive floating matrix tablets: design and in vitro evaluation. J Adv Pharm Technol Res 2011;2:156-623.
3. Hoffman A, Stepensky D, Lavy E, Eyal S, Klausner E, Friedman M. Pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic aspects of gastroretentive dosage forms. Int J Pharm 2004;277:141-53.
4. Padmavathy J, Saravanan D, Rajesh D. Formulation and evaluation of ofloxacin floating tablets using HPMC. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2011;3:170-3.
5. Tort S, Han D, Steckl AJ. Self-inflating floating nanofiber membranes for controlled. Drug Delivery Int J Pharma 2020;17:119-64.
6. Arora S, Ali J, Ahuja A, Khar RK, Baboota S. Floating drug delivery system: a review. AAPS PharmSciTech 2005;6:372–90.
7. Narang N. An updated review on: floating drug delivery system. Int J Appl Pharm 2011;3:1-8.
8. Patel DM, Patel NM, Pandya NM, Jogani PD. Formulation and optimization of carbamazepine floating tablets. Indian J Pharm Sci 2007;69:763-70.
9. Auriemma G, Cerciello A, Sansone F, Pinto A, Morello S, Aquino RP. Polysaccharides based gastroretentive system to sustain piroxicam release: development and in vivo prolonged anti-inflammatory effect. Int J Bio Macro 2018;120:2303-12.
10. Gokbulut E, Vural I, A??koglu M, Ozdemir N. Floating drug delivery system of itraconazole: formulation, in vitro and in vivo studies. J Drug Dev Sci Tech 2019;49:491-501.
11. Baumgartner S, Kristl J, Vrecer F, Vodopivec P, Zorko B. Optimization of floating matrix tablets and evaluation of their gastric residence time. Int J Pharm 2000;195:125–35.
12. Li S, Lin S, Daggy BP, Mirchandani HL, Chien YW. Effect of HPMC and carbopol on the release and floating properties of gastric floating drug delivery system using factorial design. Int J Pharm 2003;253:13-22.
13. Chueh HR, Zia H, Rhodes CT. Optimization of sotalol floating and bioadhesive extended-release tablet formulation. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 1995;21:1725–47.
14. Sathiyaraj S, Ramya DD, Vedha BNH. Lornoxicam gastro retentive floating matrix tablets: design and in vitro evaluation. J Adv Pharm Technol Res 2011;2:156-62.
15. Patil H, Tiwari RV, Repka MA. Recent advancements in mucoadhesive floating drug delivery systems: a mini-review. J Drug Dev Sci Tech 2016;31:65-71.
16. Biswas N, Sahoo RK. Tapioca starch blended alginate mucoadhesive-floating beads for intragastric delivery of metoprolol tartrate. Int J Bio Macro 2016;83:61-70.
17. Jagdale SC, Bari NA, Kuchekar BS, Chabukswar AR. Optimization studies on compression coated floating-pulsatile drug delivery of bisoprolol. BioMed research Int 2013:1-23. https://doi.org/10.1155/2013/801769
18. Latha K, Uhumwangho MU, Sunil SA, Srikanth MV, Ramanmurthy KV. In vitro evaluation of oral timed-release tablet of losartan potassium using natural gum and it’s solid characterization. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2012;4:89-95.
19. Klausner EA, Lavy E, Friedman M, Hoffman A. Expandable gastroretentive dosage forms. J Controlled Release 2003;90:143-62.
20. Chaturvedi K, Umadevi S, Vaghani S. Floating matrix dosage form for propranolol hydrochloride based on gas formation technique: development and in vitro evaluation. Sci Pharm 2010;78:927-39.
21. Rosa M, Zia H, Rhodes T. Dosing and testing in vitro of a bioadhesive and floating drug delivery system for oral application. Int J Pharm 1994;105:65-70.
22. Dasharath MP, Mehul JP, Ankit NP, Chhagan NP. Formulation and evaluation of mixed matrix gastro-retentive drug delivery for famotidine. Int J Pharm Investig 2011;1:247-54.
23. Kim S, Hwang KM, Park YS, Nguyen TT, Park ES. Preparation and evaluation of non-effervescent gastroretentive tablets containing pregabalin for once-daily administration and dose proportional pharmacokinetics. Int J Pharm 2018;550:160-9.
24. Raza A, Bukhari NI, Karim S, Hafiz MA, Hayat U. Floating tablets of minocycline hydrochloride: formulation, in vitro evaluation and optimization. Future J Pharm Sci 2017;3:131-9.
25. Gambhire MN, Ambade KW, Kurmi SD, Kadam VJ, Jadhav KR. Development and in vitro evaluation of an oral floating matrix tablet formulation of diltiazem hydrochloride. AAPS PharmSciTech 2007;8:E166-E174.
26. Bertram U, Bodmeier R. In situ gelling, bioadhesive nasal inserts for extended drug delivery: in vitro characterization of a new nasal dosage form. Eur J Pharm Sci 2006;27:62-71.
27. Thakar K, Joshi G, Sawant KK. Bioavailability enhancement of baclofen by gastroretentive floating formulation: statistical optimization, in vitro and in vivo pharmacokinetic studies. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 2013;39:880-8.
28. Hwang SJ, Park H, Park K. Gastric retentive drug-delivery system. Crit Rev Ther Drug Carrier Syst 1998;15:243–84.
29. Leung SHS, Robinson JR. The contribution of anionic polymer structural features to mucoadhesion. J Controlled Release 1987;5:223-31.
30. Sharwaree R Hardikar, Shakil S Mulla. Optimization of formulation of solid dispersion of furosemide by factorial design. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2020;12:43-8.
31. Nayak AK, Das B, Maji R. Gastroretentive hydrodynamically balanced systems of ofloxacin: in vitro evaluation. Saudi Pharm J 2013;21:113-7.
32. Khan GM, Zhu JB. Studies on drug release kinetics from ibuprofen–carbomer hydrophilic matrix tablets: influence of co-excipients on release rate of the drug. J Controlled Release 1999;57:97-203.
33. Najmuddin M, Shelar S, Ali A, Patel V, Khan T. Formulation and in vitro evaluation of floating microspheres of ketoprofen prepared by emulsion solvent diffusion method. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2010;2:13-7.
34. Santus G, Lazzarini G, Bottoni G. An in vitro-in vivo investigation of oral bioadhesive controlled release furosemide formulations. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 1997;44:39-52.
35. Pawar VK, Kansal S, Asthana S, Chourasia MK. Industrial perspective of gastroretentive drug delivery systems: physicochemical, biopharmaceutical, technological and regulatory consideration. Expert Opin Drug Delivery 2012;9:551-65.
36. Veerareddy PR, Bajjuri S, Sanka K, Jukanti R, Bandari S, Ajmeru RK, et al. Formulation and evaluation of gastroretentive dosage form of ofloxacin. S J Pharm Sci 2011;4:9-18.
37. Menon A, Ritshel WA, Sakr A. Developement and evaluation of a monolithic floating dosage form for furosemide. J Pharm Sci 1994;83:239-45.
38. Singh B, Chakkal SK, Ahuja N. Formulation and optimization of controlled release mucoadhesive tablets of atenolol using response surface methodology. AAPS PharmSciTech 2006; 7:E19-E28.
39. Vemula SK, Venisetty RK, Veerareddy PR. Valsartan floating bioadhesive compression-coated mini-tablets: formulation and pharmacokinetics. J Drug Dev Sci Tech 2017;40:66-72.
40. Patil P, Rao BS, Kulkarni SV, Basavaraj CS, Ammanage A. Formulation and in vitro evaluation of floating matrix tablets of ofloxacin. Asian J Res Pharm Sci 2011;1:17-22.
41. Singh BM, Kim KH. Floating drug delivery system: an approach to oral controlled drug delivery via gastric retention. J Controlled Release 2000;63:235–59.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.