TRADITIONAL THERAPY AND WESTERN MEDICINE FOR TREATING INSOMNIA
Keywords:Insomnia, Herbs, Traditional therapy, Western medicine
Objective: The herbs that have been used in Vietnam since ancient times for many different uses but not everyone recognize its great value. The paper
aims to discover the preferred medicinal plants and the reasons why patients choose them. Although Western medicines play an important role in
treatment and bring immediate effect, however, to treat insomnia in the long term, natural herbs account for significant importance. The paper was
conducted in early 2019 in different regions in South Vietnam to once again determine the role of medicinal plants use.
Methods: This paper is completed with the support of 100 respondents who are from some places of Ho Chi Minh city and are suffering from insomnia.
With the form of direct interviews, some questions are designed to examine patients’ opinions about the strategies that can to treat insomnia.
Results: The results showed that herbal treatment still plays a rather important role even though people tend to choose Western medications in busy
days because this medications are less time consuming. The paper also mentions that the importance of herbs in the treatment of insomnia needs
Conclusion: In the current medical methods, traditional methods are being trusted and used by many people because this therapy brings many health
benefits, helps patients treat their illnesses well as well as improve their health much better. Traditional remedies which are all derived from natural
herbs are very good for health.
needle acupuncture treatment for insomnia: A systematic review of
randomized controlled trials. Sleep Med 2009;10:694-704.
2. Kanda S, Yamada K, Mizushima H, Asai M. Use of herbal medicine
for treating psychiatric disorders in Japan. Psychiatry Clin Neurosci
3. Yeung WF, Chung KF, Poon MM, Ho FY, Zhang SP, Zhang ZJ,
et al. Prescription of Chinese herbal medicine and selection of
acupoints in pattern-based traditional Chinese medicine treatment for
insomnia: A systematic review. Evid Based Complement Altern Med
4. Wing YK. Herbal treatment of insomnia. Hong Kong Med J
5. Chen R, Moriya J, Yamakawa JI, Takahashi T, Kanda T. Traditional
Chinese medicine for chronic fatigue syndrom. Evid Based Complement
Altern Med 2010;7:3-10.
6. Yeung WF, Chung KF, Poon MM, Ho FY, Zhang SP, Zhang ZJ,
et al. Chinese herbal medicine for insomnia: A systematic review of
randomized controlled trials. Sleep Med Rev 2012;16:497-507.
7. Wahlberg A. Herbs, laboratories, and revolution: On the making
of a national medicine in Vietnam. East Asian Sci Technol Soc
8. Attele AS, Xie JT, Yuan CS. Treatment of insomnia: An alternative
approach. Altern Med Rev 2000;5:249-59.
9. Khalsa SB. Yoga as a therapeutic intervention. Princ Pract Stress Manag
10. Xue-Feng LE. Chinese and Western medicine combined with the
emotional care and treatment of 32 cases of insomnia. J Pract Tradit
Chin Intern Med 2010;2:48.
11. Hoi HT. Miraculous effects of Phyllanthus urinaria L. in the treatment of
liver enzyme lowering and other diseases. Int J Pharm Res 2020;1:288.
12. Nguyen DT. Combining a number of medicinal herbs in order to treat
fatty liver disease. Int J Pharm Res 2020;1:371.