FORMULATION AND EVALUATION OF SUSTAINED RELEASE PELLETS OF LORNOXICAM
SUSTAINED RELEASE PELLETS OF LORNOXICAM
Objective: The aim of study was to develop sustained release pellets of lornoxicam using Eudragit RLPO and Eudragit RSPO to reduce the dosing frequency.
Methods: The sustained release pellets of lornoxicam were prepared by extrusion – spheronization technique using Eudragit RLPO and Eudragit RSPO as release retardant polymers and microcrystalline cellulose as spheronizing agent. A 32 Full factorial design was applied to investigate the combined effect of the two independent variables i.e. concentration of Eudragit RLPO (X1) and concentration of Eudragit RSPO (X2) on the dependent variables, In vitro drug release at 1h (Y1), In vitro drug release at 4h (Y2) and In vitro drug release at 12 h. (Y3).
Results: The optimized formulation (F0) show in vitro drug release 11.24 ± 1.21 %, 43.69 ± 1.28 %, 82.69 ± 1.74 % and 100.24 ± 1.56 % at 1 h, 4 h, 12 h and 24 h respectively. Drug excipients compatibility study by FTIR showed no interaction between drug and excipients. Eudragit RLPO and Eudragit RSPO had significant effect on in vitro drug release.
Conclusion: From all parameter and experimental design evaluation, it was concluded that drug release rate decreased with an increase the concentration of Eudragit RLPO and Eudragit RSPO. SEM Photomicrograph of pellets revealed that the surface was rough and the pellets were spherical shaped in nature. The in vitro release kinetics revealed higuchi model is followed and drug release is by anamolous diffusion.
technique using sugar spheres. Int. J. drug. Delivery 2014; 6: 292-300.
2. Shanteer VS, Lingaraj SD. Preparation and evaluation of sustained release matrix tablets of propranolol hydrochloride. Int J Pharm. Bio. Sci. 2010; 1:227-247.
3. Tripura S, Gaud R, Formulation and evaluation of alcohol resistant dosage forms of diclofenac sodium. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2013; 5: 854 – 85.
4. Patel S, Patel M. Formulation and evaluation of sustained release pellets of tramadol hcl using 32 full factorial design. Int.J. PharmTech Res.2014;6: 1736-45.
5. Manivannan R., Parthiban KG, Sandeep G, Balasubramanium A , Senthikumar N.
Multiparticulate drug delivery systems: Pellet and pelletization technique. Drug Invention Today 2010; 2: 233-37.
6. Saki S, Ishtiaq A, Muhammad RI, Habibur R. Development of salbutamol sulphate sustained release pellets using acrylic polymer and polyvinyl acetate polymer and evaluation of in vitro release kinetics. J. Pharm. Sci. 2010; 9: 109-118.
7. Kristensen HG, Schaefer T. Granulation. A review of pharmaceutical wet granulation. Drug Dev. Ind. Pharm 1987; 13: 803-72.
8. Ghebre SI. Pellets. A general overview. Pharmaceutical Pelletization Technology. I(ed), Marcel Dekker Inc., New York, USA, 1989; 37: 1-13.
9. Siepmann F, Siepmann J. Walther M. Macrae, RJ, Bodmeire R. Blends of Aqueous polymer dispersions used for pellet coating: Importance of the particle size.
J. Control. Rel 2005;105:226-239.
10. Pandit AP, Shinde RD, Development and in vitro evaluation of sustained release multiparticulate tablet of freely water soluble drug. Braz. J. Pharm. Sci 2010;
11. Evdokia D. Optimization of the pelletization process in a fluid bed rotor granulator using experimental design. AAPS Pharm Sci. Tech.2000; 35:1-4.
12. Homdrum EM, Likar R, Nell G. Rapid: a novel effective tool for pain treatment. Eur Surg. 2006;38:342–52.
13. Yassin El-SH, Mona HA. Design and in vitro evaluation of novel sustained-release double-layer tablets of lornoxicam: utility of cyclodextrin and xanthan gum
combination. AAPS PharmSciTech. 2009;10: 1357-67.
14. Kidd B, Frenzel W. A multicenter, randomized, double blind study comparing lornoxicam with diclofenac in osteoarthritis. J Rheumatol. 1996;23:1605–11.
15. Songa AS, Meka VS, Rao NS, Sakamuri B, Kolapalli VR. Design and evaluation of lornoxicam bilayered tablets for biphasic release. Braz. J. Pharm. Sci 2012;
16. Chandarana, DA.; Patel KS., Patel, SC., Patel, DR. Prajapati, ST. Formulation and evaluation of mucoadhesive buccal tablets of carvedilol. Int J App Pharm 2020;
17. Madat DV. Gohel MC. Statistical optimization of venlafaxine hydrochloride controlled release pellets prepared employing the blend of ethyl cellulose and
HPMC. J Pharm Res 2011; 4:607-9.
18. Sain JP , Patel KS , Patel SC , Patel DR, Formulation and evaluation of gastroretentive floating pellets of nizatidine. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutics 2020 ;14:
19. Han X, Wang L, Sun Y, Liu X, Liu W, Du Y, et al. Preparation and evaluation of sustained-release diltiazem hydrochloride pellets. AJPS 2013; 8:244-51.
20. Jadhav N, Gade M, Salunkhe N, Paradkar A. Extrusion-spheronization of talc using microcrystalline cellulose as a pellet aid: Part I. J Pharm Innov 2014;9:321-30.
21. Gupta V, Gowda D, Balamuralidhara V, Khan S. Formulation and evaluation of olanzapine matrix pellets for controlled release. DARU 2011; 19:32-42.
22. Gawale D, Sonawane RO, Pandey VV Pradum P. Formulation and in-vitro characterization of multiple unit sustained release matrix pellets of lornoxicam using
natural gums. Indian Journal of Novel Drug delivery 2013; 5(4): 208-220
23. Nath B, Nath, LK, Kumar P. Preparation and in vitro dissolution profile of zidovudine loaded microspheres made of Eudragit RS 100, RL 100 and their
combinations. Acta Poloniae Pharmaceutica and Drug Research 2011; 68: 409-415.
24. Patel KS, Patel MB. Formulation and evaluation of eudragit microspheres containing nicorandil. IJPRS 2014;3:35-40
25. Kothiya OM, Patel BA, Patel, KN, Patel, MM. Formulation and characterization of sustained release matrix tablets of ivabradine using 32 full factorial design.
Int J App Pharm 2018;10: 59-66
26. Deshkar S, Satpute A. Formulation and optimization of curcumin solid dispersion pellets for improved solubility. Int J App Pharm 2020; 12:36-46.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.