ROLE OF ANTIOXIDANTS AND NUTRITION IN OXIDATIVE STRESS: A REVIEW
Human body is known to experience positive stress that keeps it vigilant and protects it from biological and physical threats. This stress turns negative when a person is confronted with continuous challenges. Also, stress and nutrition have always run in synergism with each other. Nutritional value of a person's diet depends on the overall mixture or balance of food that is eaten over a period of time, as well as on the needs of the individual. The body relies on obtaining its anti-oxidants from food and other supplements. These nutritional requirements of antioxidants are enormously altered in diseased conditions.
In view of the immense medicinal importance of antioxidants, an effort has been made in this article to bring together information about the role of nutrition and antioxidants such as carotenoids, vitamins, some important minerals in combating free radical generation and in general, boosting normal immune mechanisms. The present review is an attempt to generate interest in the scientific fraternity of their immense potential in preventing and treating several common diseases.Keywords: Antioxidants, Free radicals, Balanced diet, Nutrition, Oxidative stress, Vitamins.
2. Davis K. Oxidative stress, Antioxidant defenses and damage removal, repair and replacement system. Life 2000;50:279-89.
3. Moller P, Wallin H, Knudsen I. Oxidative stress associated with exercise, Psychological stress, and lifestyle factors. Chemo-Biological Interactions 1996;102:17-36.
4. Koppenol WH. Peroxynitrite, a Cloaked oxidant formed by nitric oxide and superoxide. Chem Res Toxicol 1992;5:834â€“42.
5. Sacheck JM. Role of vitamin e and oxidative stress in exercise. Nutr 2001;17:809-14.
6. McCord Joe. The evolution of free radical and oxidative stress. Am J Med 2000;108:652-9.
7. Elsayed NM. Antioxidant mobilization in response to oxidative stress: a dynamic environmental-nutritional interaction. Nutr 2000;17:828-30.
8. Keservani RK, Vyas N, Jain S, Raghuvanshi R, Sharma AK. Nutraceutical and functional food as future food: a review. Pharm Lett 2010;2(1):106-16.
9. GÃ¶tz ME, KÃ¼nig G, Riederer P, Youdim MB. Oxidative stress: free radical production in neural degeneration. Pharmacol Ther 1994;63(1):37-122.
10. Lien AP, Hua H, Chuong PH. Free radicals, Antioxidants in disease and health. Int J Biomed Sci 2008;4(2):89â€“96.
11. Klaus A, Hirt H. Reactive oxygen species: metabolism, Oxidative stress, and signal transduction. Annu Rev Plant Biol 2004;55:373-99.
12. Shklar G, Schwartz J. The effectiveness of mixture of beta-carotene, alpha-Toccopherol, Glutathione and ascorbic acid for cancer prevention. Nutr Cancer 1993;20:145-51.
13. Stephen T, Sinatra MD. The Coenzyme Q10 phenomenon. 1st ed. New York: Keats Publishing Inc; 1998.
14. Lenhart S. Vitamins for management of cardiovascular disease. Pharmacol 1999;19:1400-14.
15. Evans JR, Lawrenson JG. Antioxidant vitamin and mineral supplements for slowing the progression of age-related macular degeneration: Cochrane database of systematic reviews. 1st ed. New York: John Wiley and Sons, Ltd; 2012.
16. Garson LR, Kirchner LK. Organosilicon entities as prophylactic and therapeutic agents. J Pharm Sci 1971;60(8):1113-27.
17. MarÃ M1, Morales A, Colell A, GarcÃa-Ruiz C, FernÃ¡ndez-Checa JC. Mitochondrial Glutathione, a key survival antioxidant. Antioxid Redox Signaling 2009;11(11):2685-700.
18. Jariwalla RJ, Lalezari J, Cenko D, Mansour SE, Kumar A, Gangapurkar B. Restoration of blood total glutathione status and lymphocyte function following alphalipoic acid supplementation in patients with HIV Infection. J Altern Complement Med 2008;14(2):139-46.
19. Price CT, Langford JR, Liporace FA. Essential nutrients for bone health and a review of their availability in the average north american diet. Open Orthopaedics J 2012;6:143â€“9.
20. Disilvestro RA. Zinc in relation to diabetes and oxidative stress. J Nutr Med 2000;130:1509-11.
21. Stein J. Purple grape juice improves endothelial function and reduces susceptibility of LDL cholesterol to oxidation in patients with coronary artery diseases. Circulation 1999;100:1050-5.
22. Bagchi D. Free radicals and grape seed proanthocyanidin extract: importance in human health and disease prevention. Toxicol 2000;148:187-97.
23. Emilio R. Health benefits of nut consumption. Nutr 2010;2(7):652â€“82.
24. Wan Y, Vinson JA, Etherton TD, Proch J, Lazarus SA, Etherton PM. Effects of cocoa powder and dark chocolate on LDL Oxidative susceptibility and Prostaglandin concentrations in Humans. Am J Clin Nutr 2001;74:596-602.
25. Esterbauer H. Role of vitamin e in preventing the oxidation of low-density lipoprotein. Am J Clin Nutr 1991;53:312S-321S.
26. Shinde A, Ganu J, Naik P. Effect of free radicals and antioxidants on oxidative stress: a review. J Dental Allied Sci 2012;1(2):63-6.
27. Devasagayam TP, Tilak JC, Boloor KK, Sane KS, Ghaskadbi SS, Lele RD. Free radicals and antioxidants in human health: Current status and future prospects. J Assoc Physicians India 2004;52:794-804.