DEVELOPMENT OF SPECTROPHOTOMETRIC METHODS FOR SIMULTANEOUS DETERMINATION OF ARTESUNATE AND CURCUMIN IN LIPOSOMAL FORMULATION
The present study is very expectant towards the development of co-encapsulated liposomal formulation. The assay method for artesunate has a challenge because it doesnot have a readily recognisable absorption chromophore needed for UV spectroscopy. Curcumin, a lipid soluble antioxidant, exhibits solvent and medium sensitive absorption and fluorescence properties. A simple and rapid method involving two reaction steps has been developed for assay of artesunate and curcumin combination in liposomal formulation. Stock solution of artesunate and curcumin were diluted to final concentration of 10 Âµg/ml. The UV scan of 10 Âµg/ml solution of artesunate and curcumin combinations showed the absorbtion maxima at 240 nm and 425 nm respectively. The coloured complex obeyed the Beerâ€™s law in the concentration range of 2-20 Âµg/ml. The above methods is rapid tool for routine analysis of artesunate and curcumin in novel carrier system. The recovery studies confirmed the accuracy and precision of the methods.Keywords: Artesunate, Curcumin, Liposomal .
2. Apisariyakul A, Vanittanakom N, Buddasukh D. Antifungal activity of turmeric oil extracted from curcuma longa. J Ethnopharmacol 1995;49:163-9.
3. The Merck Index. 13th Edition. Merck & Co, Inc, NJ; 2001. p. 1814.
4. ICH. Validation of analytical procedures text and methodology. Q2 (R1); 2005.
5. ICH. Harmonised tripartite guideline stability testing of new drug substances and products Q1A (R2); 2003.
6. Zhao SS. High-performance liquid chromatographic determination of artemisinine (qinghaosu) in human plasma and saliva. Analyst 112:1987:661â€“4.