PHARMACOGNOSTIC AND PHYSICOCHEMICAL EVALUATION OF GUAZUMA TOMENTOSA LEAF
Development of quality standards of Guazuma tomentosa leaf
Pharmacognostic and physicochemical evaluation of leaf of Guazuma tomentosa is carried out to establish its macroscopic and microscopic characters and its quantitative physicochemical standards. Total ash, water soluble ash, acid insoluble ash, swelling index, extractive value (ethyl acetate, dichloromethne, alcohol and water soluble extractive value both hot and cold) were determined for physicochemical evaluations. Preliminary phytochemical screening was done to detect the presence and absence of phytoconstituents. Thin layer chromatography was carried out which play important role in assuring quality of crude drug. Catechin content of leaf was determined using HPLC. Â
The drug can be identified on the basis of morphology and microscopic characters. Phytochemical screening revealed that leaf extract contain alkaloids, carbohydrate, phytosterol, resin, flavanoids, tannins, diterpenes and protein. TLC chromatogram and different phsicochemical standard has been deleloped.
The present study on pharmacognostic standardisation, physicochemical evaluation of Guazuma tomentosa leaf might be useful to supplement information in regard to its identification parameters assumed significantly in the way of acceptibility of herbal drugs in present scenario.
Guazuma tomentosa, Standardisation, Microscopy, TLC, Pundraaksha
2. Kirtikar KR, Basu BD. Indian Medicinal Plants. 1st ed. Dehradun, India International book publisher:1999.p.381-382.
3. Felipe A, Rincao VP, Benati FJ, Linhares R, Galina KJ., Toledo D, et.al. Antiviral Effect of Guazuma ulmifolia and Stryphnodendron adstringens on Poliovirus and Bovine Herpesvirus Biol pharm bull 2006: 29: 1092-95.
4. Verma H, Prasad SB, Yashwant, Singh H. Herbal Drug Delivery System: A Modern Era Prospective. Int J Current Pharma Rev Res 2013; 4 : 88-101.
5. Prasad SB, Sharma A. Pharmacognostic and phytochemical evaluation of Convolvulus plauricaulis ". Inventi Rapid: Planta Activa , Vol. 2012 , Article ID- " Inventi:ppa/134/12 " , 2012 Available From http://inventi.in/Article/ppa/134/12.aspx [cited 2013 Mar 03 ]
6. Kokate CK. Practical pharmacognosy. 4th ed. New Delhi, India: Vallabh prakashan;1994.
7. Anonyms. Quality control method of medicinal plant materials. 3rd ed. Geneva WHO geneva:1998.
8. Nema RK, Meyyanathan SN, Sharma CS, Verma M, Bhan CS. A practical approach to pharmaceutical analysis. 1st ed. New Delhi, india: CBS Publisher; 2008.
9. Wagner H, Bladt S. Plant drug analysis: a thin layer chromatography atlas. 2nd ed. India: Berlin: Springer:1996.
10. Kokate CK, Purohot AP, Gokhle SB. Pharmacognosy. 35th ed. Pune, India: Nirali Prakashan; 2006.