PHYTOSOMES ENHANCED THE ANTIBACTERIAL AND ANTIFUNGAL PROPERTIES OF LANTANA CAMARA
Aim: The aim of the work was to formulate Lantana camara phytosomes to improve the antimicrobial properties.
Methods: L. camara phytosomes were prepared by solvent evaporation using soy lecithin (Phospholipon® 90H). The effect of surfactant Poloxamer 188 was carried out. The qualitative and quantitative analysis of the phytoconstituents was analyzed. The encapsulation efficiency and loading capacity were studied. Furthermore, the in vitro release profile was studied in ethanolic buffer. The inhibition zone diameter (IZD) was evaluated against three bacterial and two fungi.
Results: The results showed that saponins were the most dominant phytochemical with about 7% on the plant leaves. The highest EE of 82.80% was obtained. In vitro release showed about 23% drug release at 60 min. The IZD results showed that L. camara had significantly higher activity against Escherichia coli and Listeria ivanovii than Staphylococcus aureus (p<0.05). The results also showed that for Candida albicans, L. camara phytosomes had significantly higher IZD than the extract (p<0.05). However, the L. camara extract and the formulations showed no activity against the Aspergillus flavus.
Conclusions: Phytosomes enhanced the antimicrobial properties of L. camara and could serve as a good delivery system for this herbal drug.
2. Ionescu MI. Are Herbal Products an Alternative to Antibiotics? Intechopen; 2017. Available from: https://www.intechopen.com/books/ bacterial-pathogenesis-and-antibacterial-control/are-herbal-products-an-alternative-to-antibiotics. [Last Accessed on 2019 Jul 03].
3. Chime SA, Ugwu CE, Ugwuoke CE, Akuwara BU, Onunkwo GC. Formulation and evaluation of novel herbospheres delivery system of leaf extract of Vernonia amygdalina del (Asteraceae). Innov J Ayurvedic Sci 2018;6:10-5.
4. Chime SA, Onyishi VI, Ugwoke PU, Attama AA. Evaluation of the properties of Gongronema latifolium in phospholipon 90H-based solid lipid microparticles (SLMs): An antidiabetic study. J Diet Supplo 2014;11:7-18.
5. Chime SA, Brown SA, Ugwu CE, Agubata CO, Obidike TC, Onunkwo GC. Effect of binder type and concentration on the in vitro properties of Alstonia boonei tablets. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2012;16:5-9.
6. Kalita S, Kumar G, Karthik L, Venkata K, Rao B. A review on medicinal properties of Lantana camara Linn. Res J Pharm Technol 2012;5:711-5.
7. Ganjewala D, Sam S, Khan KH. Biochemical compositions and antibacterial activities of Lantana camara plants with yellow, lavender, red and white flowers. Eur Asian J Biosci 2009;3:69-77.
8. Kalita S, Kumar G, Loganathan K, Rao B. Phytochemical composition and in vitro haemolytic activity of Lantana camara L. (Verbenaceae) leaves. Pharmacologyonline 2011;1:59-67.
9. Bhakta D, Ganjewala D. Effect of leaf positions on total phenolics, flavonoids and proantho-cyanidins content and antioxidant activities in Lantana camara (L). J Sci Res 2009;1:363-9.
10. Tripathi S, Rawat K, Dhyani S, Pant H. Potential of Lantana camara Linn. Weed against wood destroying fungi. Indian Forest 2009;135:403-11.
11. Ganesh T, Sen S, Thilagam E, Thamotharan G, Loganathan T, Chakraborty R, et al. Pharmacognostic and anti-hyperglycemic evaluation of Lantana camara (L.) var. Aculeate leaves in alloxan-induced hyperglycemic rats. Int J Res Pharm Sci 2010;1:247-52.
12. Nayak BS, Raju SS, Eversley M, Ramsubhag A. Evaluation of wound healing activity of Lantana camara L.-a preclinical study. Phytother Res 2009;23:241-5.
13. Abdulla MA, Hassandarvish P, Ali HM, Noor S, Mahmoud FH Bashah NS, et al. Acceleration of wound healing potential by Lantana camara Leaf extract in experimental rats. Res J Med Sci 2009;3:75-9.
14. Sagar L, Sehgal R, Ojha S. Evaluation of antimotility effect of Lantana camara L. var. Acuelata constituents on neostigmine induced gastrointestinal transit in mice. BMC Complement Altern Med 2005;5:18.
15. Dua VK, Pandey AC, Dash AP. Adulticidal activity of essential oil of Lantana camara leaves against mosquitoes. Indian J Med Res 2010;131:434-9.
16. Venkatachalam T, Kumar VK, Selvi PK, Maske AO, Anbarasan V, Kumar PS, et al. Antidiabetic activity of Lantana camara Linn fruits in normal and streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. J Pharm Res 2011;4:1550-2.
17. Misra N, Sharma M, Raj K, Dangi A, Srivastava S, Misra- Bhattacharya S. Chemical constituents and antifilarial activity of Lantana camara against human lymphatic filariid Brugia malayi and rodent filariid Acanthocheilonema viteae maintained in rodent hosts. Parasitol Res 2007;100:439-48.
18. Thamotharan G, Sekar G, Thangavel G, Sen S, Chakraborty R, Kumar NS, et al. Antiulcerogenic effects of Lantana camara Linn. Leaves on in vivo test models in rats. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2010;3:57-60.
19. Gidwani BK, Bhargava S, Rao SP, Majoomdar A, Pawar DP, Alaspure RN. Analgesic, anti-inflammatory and antihemorrhoidal activity of aqueous extract of Lantana Camara Linn. Res J Pharm Technol 2009;2:378-81.
20. Kumar MS, Maneemegalai S. Evaluation of larvicidal effect of Lantana Camara Linn. Against mosquito species Aedes aegypti and Culex quinquefasciatus. Adv Biol Res 2008;2:39-43.
21. Badakhshan MP, Sasidharan S, Rameshwar NJ, Ramanathan S. A comparative study: Antimicrobial activity of methanol extracts of Lantana camara various parts. Pharmacognosy Res 2009;1:348-51.
22. More MS, Shende MA, Kolhe DB, Jaiswal NM. Herbosomes: Herbo phospholipid complex an approach for absorption enhancement. Int J Biol Pharm Res 2012;3:946-55.
23. Chime SA, Onyishi VI. Lipid-based drug delivery systems (LDDS): Recent advances and applications of lipids in drug delivery. Afr J Pharm Pharmacol 2013;7:3034-59.
24. Singh A, Saharan V, Singh M, Bhandari A. Phytosome: Drug delivery system for polyphenolic phytoconstituents. Iran J Pharm Sci Autumn 2011;7:209-19.
25. Shalini S, Ram KR. Phytosomes: An emerging technology. Int J Pharm Res Dev 2011;2:1-7.
26. Ajuru MG, Williams LF, Ajuru G. Qualitative and quantitative phytochemical screening of some plants used in ethnomedicine in the Niger delta region of Nigeria. J Food Nutr Sci 2017;5:198-205.
27. Wadhai VS. Antibacterial activity of and comparative phytochemical analysis of flower and leaves of Lantana camara. Bionano Front 2012;5:143-5.
28. Aliyu AB, Musa AM, Abdullahi MS, Ibrahim MA, Tijjani MB, Aliyu MS, et al. Activity of saponin fraction from Anisopus manni against some pathogenic microorganisms. J Med Plant Res 2012;5:6709-13.
29. Chime SA, Onyishi IV, Eze IO. Application of molecularly structured Ben oil in gentamicin entrapped lipospheres. J Pharm Sci Ther 2019;5:262-70.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.