CHARACTERIZATION OF AFTEEMOON HINDI OR AKASHBEL SOLD IN WHOLESALE MARKET OF HERBAL DRUG AT KHARI BAOLI, DELHI
Objectives: To question reliability of drugs available at wholesale market of crud herbal drug in Delhi by analyzing physiochemical properties of a drug,Â Afteemoon Hindi/ Akashbel.
Method: Standardization of crude drug is becoming must for drug industries for GMP, clinical practioners and research works for effective and accurate results. Afteemoon Hindi also called Akashbel is important plant used as drug in Unani and Ayurvedic system of medicine with many bioactive molecules. The drug is used singly and also constitutes important part in various pharmacopeial and patented compound drugs. Study was executed in to characterize the properties of this important drug available in market. Parameters were botanical identification, foreign materials, moisture content/loss on drying, ash values, pH and TLC.
Results and conclusion: The parameters show slight variations in results from previously standardized results for the same drug. Therefore it is to conclude that these variations may alter expected outcome of the drug in patient treatment and need to be work out authentication of drug before purchasing.
2. Chopra R, Nayar S, Chopra I: Glossary of Indian Medicinal Plants New Delhi, CSIR., 1956,Vol. I.
3. Singh M, Himadri P: Medicinal Herbs with Their Formulations, Delhi, Daya Publishing house, 2005, Vols. I; 324-25
4. Nandkarni A: Indian Materia Medica , Bombay Popular Prakashan, 1989, Vols. I, 420
5. LÃ¶ffle C, Sahm A, Czygan F, Proksch P, Wray V: Soluble phenolic compounds from cuscuta reflexa and cuscuta platyloba. 381.
6. Matsui T, Yoshimoto C, Osajima K, Oki T, Osajima Y:1996, 60,2019-22.
7. Kelkar S, Phadke C, Marina S: 1984, 23, 458-59.
8. Theodore C: The Flora of Presidency of Bombay, 1908, 222â€”24.
9. Shastri B: Wealth of India, Raw Material ,Delhi, CSIR. 1962, 406â€”07
10. Anis E, Ullah N, Mustafa G, Malik A, Afza N, Bader Y: 1999, 124-26.
11. Kelley C, Haraff R H: 1976, 41, 449-54.
12. Chemesova I: 1990, 24,115-17.
13. Tripathi V, Yadav S, Upadhyay A: A new flavanone, reflexin, from Cuscuta reflexa and its selective sensing of nitric oxide, 2005, 127,63-67.
14. Uddin S, Shilpi J A, M M: Swarnalin and cis-swarnalin, two new tetrahydrofuran derivatives with free radical scavenging activity, from the aerial parts of Cuscuta reflexa. 2007, 21, 663-68 ,7
15. CCRUM: Standardization of single Drugs of Unani Medicine Vols. part II,7-12
16. Mosihuzzaman M, Chaudhary M: Proptocols on safety, efficacy, stanadardization and documentation of herbal drugs. 2008, 80,2195-2230 ,10
17. USDA: Plant Profile; Cuscuta reflexa Roxb. Natural Resourses conservation Service,2000
18. CCRUM: Standardisation of Single Drugs Of Unani Medicine, (First Edition ed.). New Delhi: Central Council for Research in Unani Medicine,1992, Part II