COW URINE: AN ELIXIR
Cow urine therapy and all traditional system from indian system of medicine have a strong scientific base. Cow urine has been described in â€˜SushritaSamhitaâ€™ and â€˜AshtangaSangrahaâ€™ to be the most effective substance/secretion of animal origin with innumerable therapeutic values. Ancient books on ayurveda states that consumption of cow urine increase resistance to diseases by upto 104percent. In India, drinking of cow urine has been practiced for thousands of years. Panchagavya is a term used in Ayurveda to describe five important substances obtained from cow namely Urine, Dung, Milk, Ghee and Curd. Many people use Panchgavya in some rituals (Puja) and for medicinal purposes. It also used in Yajur Veda for Ark as a medicine. By reviewing the literature and research articleswe reached at the conclusion that it has several different activities like antioxidant, antidiabetic, wound healing property,Â Â Â Â Â Â
immunomodulator, also act as bioenhancer to increase the efficacy of antibiotics, nutrients, anticancer drugs liketaxol.
Keywords: DPHH,Â fetal calf serum (FCS), NBT method
2. Pandey GS, Chunekar KC. BhavPrakashNighantu (Indian MateriaMedica) of Sri Bhavamisra (c. 1600-1600 AD) -AthMutravargh. Vol. 18. Varanasi: ChaukhambaBharati Academy; 2009. p. 778.
3. Shukla AV, Tripathi RD. CarakaSamhita of Agnivesh.Vol. 1. Delhi: Chaukhamba Sanskrit Pratishthan; 1997. p.1:45.
4. Bhadauria H. Cow Urine- A Magical Therapy. Vishwa Ayurveda Parishad, 71-74. Int J Cow Sci 2002;1:32-6.
5. Jain, V.K., 2006. Cow Urine Can Cure Many Diseases Text Book Cow Urine Treatment and Res. Centre, Indore Published.
6. Kirtikar KR, Basu BD. Indian Medicinal Plants, 2nd edition. Dehra Dun, Bishen Singh
Mahendra Pal Singh, 2003. 3:1646p.
7. â€œWorld Intellectual Property Organization". http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?WO=2003/020038. 366p.
8. â€œWorld Intellectual Property Organizationâ€™â€™. http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?WO=2003/020038. 1185p.
9. Chauhan RS. Panchagavya Therapy (Cow pathy)- Current status and future directions. Indian Cow 2004;1:3-7.
10. Jain NK, Gupta VB, Garg R, Silawat N. Efficacy of cow urine therapy on various cancer patients in Mandsaur district, India: A survey. Int J Green Pharm 2010;4:29-35.
11. Govindarajan, R., K.M. Vijaya, A.K.S. Rawat and S. Mehrotra, 2003. Free radical scavenging potential of PicrorhizakurrooaRoyle ex Benth. Ind. J. Exp. Biol., 41: 875-879.
12. Edwin Jarald, Sheeja Edwin, VaibhavTiwari, Rajesh Garg and Emmanuel Toppo. Antioxidant and Antimicrobial Activities of Cow Urine . Global J. Pharmacol., 2 (2): 20-22, 2008
13. Ames, B.N., M.K. Shigenega and T.M. Hagen, 1993. Oxidants, antioxidants and the degenerative diseases of aging. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., 90: 7915-7922.
14. Soni, K., K.P. Suresh and M.N. Saraf, 2003. Free radical scavenging and antilipidperoxidation activity of TephrosiapurpureaLinn. Indian J. Pharm. Sci., 65: 27-30.
15. Gururaja MP *, AB Joshi, Himanshu Joshi, D Sathyanarayana, EVS Subrahmanyam, KS ChandrashekharAntidiabetic potential of cow urine in streptozotocininduced diabetic rats Asian Journal of Traditional Medicines, 2011, 6 (1).
16. Huang X, Vaag A, Hanson M, Weng J, Goop L. Impaired insulin stimulated expression of the glycogen synthase gene in skeletal muscle of type 2 diabetic patients is acquired rather than inherited. J Clin. Endocrinology and Metabolism , 2000, 85: 1584.
17. John WB. Role of Oxidative Stress in Development of Complications in diabetes. Diabetes, 1991, 40(4): 405.
18. Donald Armstrong, Sohal RS, Richard G Cutler, Trevor F Slater. Free radicals in molecular biology, aging and Aging series , 1984, 2: 307.
19. ArunkumarSathasivam, M. Muthuselvam and 1Rajasekran RajendranAntimicrobial Activities of Cow Urine Distillate Against Some Clinical Pathogens Global J. Pharmacol., 4 (1): 41-44, 2010
20. Khanuja, S.P.S., 2002. Pharmaceutical composition containing cow urine distillate and an Antibiotic. US patent 6410059. June 25.
21. ArunkumarSathasivam, M. Muthuselvam and 1Rajasekran RajendranAntimicrobial Activities of Cow Urine Distillate Against Some Clinical Pathogens Global J. Pharmacol., 4 (1): 41-44, 2010
22. PrashithKekuda, T.R., R. Kavya, R.M. Shrungashree and S.V. Suchitra, 2007. Antifungal activity of cow urine distillate. (http://www.microbiocare.com/).
23. Chauhan R.S.1, Dhama K.2, Singhal Lokesh , Anti-cancer property of cow urine. The Indian Cow: The Scientific and Economic Journal Year : 2009, Volume : 5, Issue : 19
First page : ( 22) Last page : ( 58)
24. chemopreventive potential of cow urine published in academic journal of cancer research 3(1): 7-10, 2010 Wasim Raja and R.C. Agrawal
25. Dutta D, Devi SS, Krishnamurthi K, Chakrabarti T. Anticlastogenic effect of redistilled cow's urine distillate in human peripheral lymphocytes challenged with manganese dioxide and hexavalent chromium. Biomed Environ Sci. 2006 Dec;19(6):487-94
26. Rachnagal R O (1967). Carbon tetrachloride hepatoxicity. Pharmacol Rev 19, 145-208.
27. Sharma A, Mathur R, Shukla S (1994). Hepatoprotectivity of a propriety herbal preparation against carbon tetrachloride intoxication. Ind Drugs 32,120-125.
28. Krishna Murthi K, DipanwitaDutta, Sivanesan S D, et al. (2004). Protective effect of distillate and redistillate of cowâ€™sin Human polymorphonuclear leukocytes challenged withestablishedgenotoxic chemicals. Biomed Environ Sci17, 247-256.
29. MPGURURAJA*,AB JOSHI, HIMANSHU JOSHI, D SATHYANARAYANA, E V S SUBRAHMANYAM, AND K S CHANDRASHEKHAR Attenuation of Carbon Tetrachloride-Induced Hepatotoxicity by Cow Urine Distillate in Rats Biomed Environ Sci. 22, 345-347 (2009)
30. Jagadeesh S. Sanganal1, Jayakumar.K.1, Jayaramu G.M.2, V.P. Tikare.1,Paniraj K.L3 and Swetha R4 Effect of cow urine on wound healing property inWister Albino Rats Veterinary World, 2011, Vol.4(7): 317-321
31. Sarmansingh, cow urine has Anti-Leishmaniadonovani effect in vitro, international journal of cow science, 1(2):72-73
32. Chauhan RS, Garg N. Cow Therapy as an alternative to antibiotic Banglore, Karnataka: Indian Science Congress; 2003.
33. Chawla, PC, Risorine - A Novel CSIR Drug Curtails TB Treatment, CSIR News. March 2010;60:52.
34. 10. Ganaie JA, Shrivastava VK. Effects of gonadotropin releasing hormone conjugate immunization and bioenhancing role of Kamdhenu ark on estrous cycle, serum estradiol and progesterone levels in female Musmusculus. Iran J Reprod Med 2010;8:70-5.
35. Available from http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6896907/description.html [last accessed 2010 Sep 2].
36. 12. Khan A, Srivastava V. Antitoxic and Bioenhancing role of Kamdhenuark2(Cow urine distillate) on fertility rate of male mice (musmusculus) affected by cadmium Chloride Toxicity. Int J Cow Sci 2005;1:43-46.
37. S.P.S. Khanuja, S. Kumar, A.K. Shasany, J.S. Arya, M.P. Darokar, M. Singh et al. Pharmaceutical composition containing cow urine distillate and an antibiotic. US Patent US 6410059 B1.
38. S.P.S. Khanuja, S. Kumar, A.K. Shasany, J.S. Arya, M.P. Darokar. Use of bioactive fraction from cow urine distillate (â€˜Go-mutraâ€™) as a bio-enhancer of anti-infective, anti-cancer agents and nutrients US Patent US 7235262; 2007.
39. Rad AK, Hajzadeh MAR, Rajaei Z, Sadeghian MH, HN, Keshavarzi Z: Preventive effect of Cynodondactylon against ethylene glycol-induced nephrolithiasis in male rats. Avicenna Journal of Phytomedicine. 2011; 1: 14-23. [ Links ]
40. Grases F, Costa-Bauza A, Prieto RM: Renal lithiasis and nutrition. Nutr J. 2006; 5: 23-9.
41. Ehud Gnessin, James E. Lingeman, Andrew P, Evan: Pathogenesis of renal calculi. Turkish Journal of Urology. 2010; 36: 190-9.
42. Romero V, Akpinar H, Assimos DG: Kidney stones: a global picture of prevalence, incidence, and associated risk factors. Rev Urol. 2010; 12: e86-96.
43. Finkielstein VA, Goldfarb DS: Strategies for preventing calcium oxalate stones. CMAJ. 2006; 174: 1407-9. [ Links ]
44. Arrabal-Polo MA, Arrabal-Martin M, Garrido-Gomez J: Calcium renal lithiasis: metabolic diagnosis and medical treatment. Sao Paulo Med J. 2013; 131: 46-53. [ Links ]
45. Leonetti F, Dussol B, Berthezene P, Thirion X, Berland Y: Dietary and urinary risk factors for stones in idiopathic calcium stone formers compared with healthy subjects. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 1998; 13: 617-22. [ Links ]
46. Shukla AB, Mandavia DR, Barvaliya MJ, Baxi SN, Tripathi CB. Anti-urolithiatic effect of cow urine ark on ethylene glycol-induced renal calculi. IntBraz J Urol. 2013 Jul-Aug;39(4):565-71.
47. Misra BS, Shastri KA, Lochan K, ChoudharyAK.Bhaisajyaratnavali of GovindaDasji. Vol. 2. Varanasi: Chaukhamba Sanskrit Bhawan; 2006. p. 51-2.