A STUDY ON FACTOR PATTERNS OF RETAIL STORES INFLUENCING THE BUYING BEHAVIOUR IN COIMBATORE CITY
The surfacing of retail market structure has observed a significant change in the recent days in India. Both the evolving demand of customers and the intensified competition among the domestic and foreign companies have created a pressure for the need of innovations in rendering services in the emerging market. Measuring service quality has thus come in a way to examine the areas in which one has to improve and compete successfully. This study evaluates applicability of a widely accepted scale, Retail Service Quality Scale (RSQS) in India. Factor analyses of the component structures indicate good fit of the RSQS dimensions and the items. The present study aims at identifying the factors patterns of supermarkets influencing the buying behaviour.
The study is based upon a response of 200 respondents with convenience sampling. The research data were collected by using questionnaire and validated to the present study. Factor analysis was employed to identify factor loadings. As per factor analysis the loadings were grouped into 6 categories from 24 factors. The study revealed the factor patterns of retail services in Indian retail stores with special reference to Supermarkets and Hypermarkets in Coimbatore City.
2. Cherukuri Jayasankara Prasad & Ankisetti Ramachandra Aryasri (2011) â€œEffect Of Shopper Attributes On Retail Format Choice Behaviour For Food And Grocery Retailing In Indiaâ€, International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management Vol. 39 No. 1, 2011 pp. 68-86
3. C. Horn and M. Rudolf (2011), â€œService Quality in the Private Banking Businessâ€
4. Dabholkar, P.; Thorpe, D. and Rentz, J (Winter 1996), â€œA Measure of Service Quality for Retail Stores: Scale Development and Validationâ€, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, p. 5
5. W. Boulding, A. Kalra, R. Staelin and V.A. Zeithaml (1993), â€œA Dynamic process model of service quality: from expectations to behavioral intentionsâ€, Journal of Marketing Research, 30: 7-27
6. Kim, S., & Jin, B. (2002), â€œValidating the retail service quality scale for U.S. and Korean customers of discount storesâ€, Journal of Services Marketing, 16 (2/3), 223-237.
7. M. Cameran, P. Moizer and A. Pettinicchio (2010), â€œCustomer satisfaction, corporate image, and service quality in professional servicesâ€, The Service Industries Journal, 30: 421â€“435.
8. M.S. Perez, G.C.J. Abad, M.M.G. Carrillo. Fernandez, S.R. (2007), â€œEffects of service quality dimensions on behavioural purchase intentionsâ€, Managing Service Quality, 17(2): 134-151.
9. D. Olaru, S. Purchase and N. Peterson (2008), â€œFrom customer value to repurchase intentions and recommendationsâ€, Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing. 2008, 23(8):554â€“565.
10. M. Bouman and T. Van der Wiele (1992), â€œMeasuring Service Quality in the car service industry: Building and testing and instrumentâ€, Journal of Service Industry Management, 3(4): 4-16.
11. M.M. Butt and E.C. Run (2010), â€œPrivate healthcare quality: applying a SERVQUAL modelâ€, International Journal of Health Care Quality Assurance, 23(7): 658-673.
12. N.R. Hinson, O. Frimpong and J. Dasah (2011), â€œBrands and service-quality perception. Marketing Intelligence & Planningâ€, 29(3): 264-283.
13. R. Ladhari, F. Pons, G. Bressolles and M. Zins (2011), â€œCulture and personal values: How they influence perceived service qualityâ€, Journal of Business Research, 64: 951â€“957.
14. R.N. Bolton and J.H. A Drew (1991), â€œMultistage model of customers' assessments of service quality and valueâ€, Journal of Consumer Research. 1991, 17: 375-384.
15. P. Sultan and H.Y. Wong (2010), â€œService quality in higher Education: A review and research agendaâ€, International Journal of Quality and Service Sciences, 2(2): 259-272.
16. P.A. Dabholkar, I.T. Dayle and O.R.A. Joseph, â€œMeasure of Service Quality for Retail Stores: Scale Development and Validationâ€, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science. 1996, 24 (1): 3-16.
17. Sharma A. and Thomas F. Stafford (2000), â€œThe Effect of Retail Atmospherics on Customersâ€™ Perceptions of Salespeople and Customer Persuasion: An Empirical Investigationâ€, Journal of Business Research, 49, 183â€“191.
18. Subhash C. Mehta, Ashok K. Lalwani, Soon Li Han (2000), â€œService quality in retailing: relative efficiency of alternative measurement scales for different product-service environmentsâ€, International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management, Vol. 28 Issue 2, 62 â€“ 72.
19. Valerie A. Ziethaml, A. Parasuraman, Leonard L. Berry (1990), â€œDelivering Quality Service: Balancing Customer Perceptions and Expectationsâ€, New York: The Free Press.
20. V.A. Zeithaml (1998), â€œConsumer perceptions of price, quality, and value: a means-end model and synthesis of evidenceâ€, Journal of Marketing, 52: 2-22.
21. Zeithaml et al (2012), â€œServices Marketingâ€, New Delhi: Tata McGraw-Hill.