PHYTOCHEMICAL SCREENING AND TLC STUDIES OF MORINGAOLEIFERA EXTRACT: THEIR ANTIBACTERIAL AND ANTI-OXIDANT ACTIVITIES
Objective: India being a rich and varied flora of medicinal plants since the Vedic period. The present study deals with the phytochemical screening and thin-layer chromatographic studies of Moringa Olifera leaf extract belonging to family Moringaceae.
Methods: Phytochemical screening determination by some chemical tests and thin layer chromatographic study was carried out by using various solvent system of varying polarity of hexane, chloroform, ethyl acetate, acetone and methanol extracts.
Results: Phytochemical screening reflects the presence of alkaloids, glycosides, saponins, phenolic compounds, tannins, phytosterols, carbohydrates, proteins, amino acids, flavonoids, quinones and terpenoids shows different types of results in different solvents extracts. Thin layer chromatographic studies of the Moring olifera root extracts constituted different colored phytochemical compounds with different Rf values The result obtained from DPPH Assay, ABTS assay also confirmed MoringaOlifera as a rich source of natural antioxidants, and Anti-bacterial activity studies revealed that it exerted maximum effect against the few pathogenic and non-pathogenic bacterial strain.
Conclusion: Thus it provides evidence that solvent extract of Moringa Olifera contains medicinally important bioactive compounds and this justifies the use of plant species as a traditional medicine for treatment of various diseases.
2. Okwu DE. Evaluation of the chemical composition of indigenous spices and flavouring agents Global. J Pure Appl Sci 2001;5:7455-9.
3. Hill AF. Economic botany a textbook of useful plants and plant productsâ€™â€™. 2nd edition McGraw-Hill Book Company. Inc. New York; 1952.
4. Perumal samy R, Gopala Krishnakone P. Current status of herbal and their future perspectives, nature precedings; 2007.
5. Krishnamurthi A. The wealth of India, A publication and information directorateâ€™â€™. New-Delhi: Council of Scientific and Industrial Research; 2003;4:92.
6. Anwar F, Rashid U. Physiochemical characteristics of moringaoleifera seeds and seed oil from a wild provenance of pakistan. Pak J Bot 2007;39:1443-53.
7. Bukar A. Antimicrobial profile of moringaoleifera lam. extracts against some food-borne microorganisms. Bayero J Pure Appl Sci 2010;3:45-8.
8. Caceres. Pharmacological properties of moringa ole Fera preliminary screening of antimicrobial activity. J Ethnopharmacol 2012;33:213-6.
9. Cowan MM. Antimicrobial agents and chemotherapy. Int J Life Sci Res 2013;44:2578-80.
10. Erturk A. Antimicrobial properties of silenemultifida (Adams) rohib plant extract. Turk J Biol 2006;5:17-21.
11. Fahey JW. Moringaoleifera: a review of the medical evidence for its nutritional, Therapeutic and Prophylactic Properties, Part 1. Trees of Life J; 2006. p. 1.
12. Fakurazi S. Hepatoprotective and antioxidant action of M. oleifera lam against acetominophen-induced hepatotoxicity in rats. Int J Pharmacol 2008;4:270-5.
13. Fernandes V. Antibacterial effect (in vitro) of moringaoleifera and annon mucic Ata against gram positive and gram negative organisms. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.gov/ pubmed/20602021. [Last accessed on 26 Jul 2012].
14. Tropics. Church World Service, Dakar, 68. Available from: http://www.echotech.org/bookstore/advanced_search_results.php?keywords= miracle+tree/on.[Last accessed 07 Nov 2012].
15. Funatogawa K. Antibacterial activity of hydrolyzable tannins derived from medicinal plants against Helicobacter pylori. Microbiol Immunol 2014;48:251-61.
16. Ghebremichael KA. A simple purification and activity assay of the coagulant protein from moringa ole Fera seed. Water Res 2005;39:2338-44.
17. Gianina. The antimicrobial effects of malunggay root extract on E. coli, S. aureus and candida albicans. Available from http://www.scinet.dost.gov.ph. [Last accessed on 06 Nov 2012].
18. Hadi S, Bremner JB. Initial Studies on Alkaloids from Lombok Medicinal Plants. Molecules 2001;6:117-29.
19. Imnakoya M. Oleifera-the miracle tree for clean water. Available from: http://www.grandioseparlor.blogspot.com/ 2005/06/moringa-oleiferamircale-tree-for-html. [Last accessed on 03 Mar 2012].