EVALUATION OF ANTIULCER ACTIVITY OF MUCOADHESIVE MICROGRANULES CONTAINING RANITIDINE HYDROCHLORIDE IN EXPERIMENTAL RATS
Objective: Ranitidine hydrochloride is a competitive inhibitor of histamine H2-receptors, the drug of choice in the treatment of ulcer. The drug has a short biological half-life of approximately 2â€“3 h, thus a sustained release dosage form of ranitidine HCl is desirable. The aim of this study was to formulate and in vitro evaluate micro granules of ranitidine HCl using 8% aloe vera powder due to cytoprotective effects.
Methods: Micro granules were prepared by wet granulation method using aloe vera powder as bio-adhesive polymer. The animals were albino male Wistar rats, divided into 4 groups. One group as a control group, the second group as placebo, third groups received ranitidine without aloe vera, and fourth groups as the treated group received ranitidine micro granules. The damage of ulceration was induced with absolute ethanol, dosing at 1 ml/200 g animal body weight. The microscopic observation was done at the first and third day after treatment.
Results: At the first day, the reference and treated group showed the lower ulcer number score mean and ulcer diameter score mean than placebo group. The ulcer index and curative value of reference group were better than treated group, 51.3% and 29.7% respectively. But, at the third day, ulcer index and curative value of treated group possessed better result than reference group, confirming that aloe vera acts as mucoadhesive polymer and gives the release of drug in a sustained manner.
Conclusion: Aloe vera powder (Aloe vera (L.) Webb) can be used to formulate micro granules for the prolonged delivery of ranitidine HCl. The micro granules containing in ranitidine dose of 0,04 mg/kg body weight reduce the ulceration induced by absolute ethanolKeywords: Aloe vera powder, Microgranules, Ranitidine HCl, Ulceration, Macroscopic view
2. Nafady M, Attallah K, Sayed M, Gouda A. Formulation and evaluation of a buoyant ranitidine hydrochloride system. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2014;24:4-8.
3. Maru SG, Singh S. Physicochemical and mucoadhesive strength characterization of the natural polymer obtained from leaves of Aloe vera. Pharmtechmedica 2013;2:303-8.
4. Hamman JH. Composition and applications of Aloe vera Leaf Gel. Molecules 2008;13:1599-602.
5. Ikasari ED, Utomo AB, Setyowati H, Trisnawati SA. The effect of aloe vera (Aloe vera (L.) Webb) on physical properties of mucoadhesive micro granules containing ranitidine hydrochloride. World J Pharm Life Sci 2015;1:224-34.
6. Raju D, Ilango K, Chitra V, Ashish K. Evaluation of antiulcer activity of methanolic extract of Terminalia chebula fruits in experimental rats. J Pharm Sci Res 2009;1:101-7.
7. Thirunavukkarasu P, Ramkumar L, Ramanathan T. Anti-ulcer activity of excoecaria agallocha bark on NSAID-induced gastric ulcer in albino rats. Global J Pharmacol 2009;3:123-6.
8. Kaur M, Singh A, Kumar B. Comparative antidiarrheal and antiulcer effect of the aqueous and ethanolic stem bark extracts of Tinospora cardi folia in rats. J Adv Pharm Technol Res 2014;5:122.
9. Cheng CL, Koo MW. Effects of Centella asiatica on ethanol is induced gastric mucosal lesions in rats. Life Sci 2000;67:2647-53.
10. Deshpande SS, Shah GB, Parmar NS. Antiulcer activity of Tephrosia purpurea in rats. Indian J Pharmacol 2003;35:168-72.
11. Bou-Abboud, Charles F. Microcirculatory stasis precedes tissue necrosis in ethanol-induced gastric mucosal injury in the rat. Dig Dis Sci 1988;33:872-7.
12. X Mei, D Xu, S Xu. Novel role of Zn (II)-curcumin in enhancing cell proliferation and adjusting proinflammatory cytokine-mediated oxidative damage of ethanol-induced acute gastric ulcers. Chem Biol Interact 2012;197:31â€“9.
13. Hutter JA, Salmon M, Stavinoha WB, Satsangi N, Williams RF, Streeper RT. Anti-inflammatory C-glucosyl chromone from Aloe barb adenosis. J Nat Prod 1996;59:541â€“3.
14. Hiruma-Lima CA, Calvo TR, Rodrigues CM, Andrabe FDP, Vilegas W, Souza-Brito ARM. Antiulcerogenic activity of Alchornea castaneaefolia: Effects on somatostatin, gastrin and prostaglandin. J Ethnopharmacol 2006;1004:215-24.
15. Rajasekaran SK, Sivagnanam S, Subramaniam. Antioxidant effect Aloe vera gel extraction streptozotocin-induced diabetes in rats. Pharmacol Rep 2005;57:90-6.
16. Borra SK, Lagisetty RK, Mallela GR. Anti-ulcer effect of Aloe vera in non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug induced peptic ulcers in rats. Afr J Pharm Pharmacol 2011;5:1867-71.