USE OF ION ASSOCIATION COMPLEX FORMATION FOR THE SPECTROPHOTOMETRIC DETERMINATION OF ITOPRIDE HCL IN BULK AND ITS PHARMACEUTICAL PREPARATIONS
Objective: The authors report two simple, accurate and economic spectrophotometric methods A and B for the determination of Itopride hydrochloride in bulk and dosage forms.
Methods: The proposed methods are based on the formation of chloroform soluble ion-associates in the presence of acidic dyes namely BPB (Method A) and BCP (Method B) exhibiting lmax at 418 and 418 nm respectively.
Results: Beerâ€™s law is found to be obeyed in the concentration range of 2.0-10.0 Âµg/ml and 2.0-10.0 Âµg/ml. The molar absorptivities are found to be 1.42x104 and 9.61x103L/mol. cm for methods A and B. These methods are successfully applied for the assay of Itopride hydrochloride in pharmaceutical formulations.
2. The Merck Index-an Encyclopedia of Chemicals, Drugs and Biologicals. 14th Edn. Merck research laboratories, Whitehouse station, New Jersey,USA; 2006. p. 907.
3. Iwanaga Y, Miyashita N, Saito T, Morikawa K, Itoh Z. Gastro prokinetic effect of a new benzamide derivative Itopride and its action mechanisms in conscious dogs. Japan J Pharmacol 1996;71:129-37.
4. Holtmann G, Talley NJ, Liebregts T, Adam B, Parow C. A placebo-controlled trial of Itopride in functional dyspepsia. N Eng l J Med 2006;354:832-40.
5. Seema Gupta, Vinod Kapoor, BM Gupta, Kapoor B, Ujala Verma, Vikram Gupta. Effect of Itopride hydrochloride on QT interval in adult healthy volunteers. J K-Practitioner 2005;12:207-10.
6. Yehia AM. Development and validation of new Spectrophotometric ratio H-point standard addition method and application to gastrointestinal acting drugs mixtures. Spectrochim Acta Part A 2013;109C:193-200.
7. Sabnis SS, Gandhi SV, Madgulkar AR, Bothara KG. Simultaneous determination of rabeprazole sodium and itopride hydrochloride in capsule dosage form by spectrophotometry. Hind Antibiot Bull 2008;49-50:34-8.
8. Sabnis SS, Dhavale ND, Jadhav VY, Gandhi SV. Spectrophotometric simultaneous determination of rabeprazole sodium and itopride hydrochloride in capsule dosage form. Spectrochim Acta Part A 2008;69:849-52.
9. Thiruvengada RV, Mohamed STs, Ramkanth S, Alagusundaram M, Ganaprakash K, Madhusudhana CC. A simple RP-HPLC method for quantitation of Itopride HCl in tablet dosage form. J Young Pharm 2010;2:410-3.
10. Sun Y, Zhang Z, Xi Z, Shi Z, Tian W. Determination of itopride hydrochloride by high-performance liquid chromatography with Ru (bpy) 3(2+) electrogenerated chemiluminescence detection. Anal Chim Acta 2009;648:174-7.
11. Ma J, Yuan LH, Ding MJ, Zhang J, Zhang Q, Xu QW, et al. Determination of itopride hydrochloride in human plasma by RP-HPLC with fluorescence detection and its use in bioequivalence study. Pharmacol Res 2009;59:189-93.
12. PtÃ¡cek P, KlÃma J, Macek J. Optimized method for the determination of itopride in human plasma by high-performance liquid chromatography with fluorimetric detection. J Chromatogr B: Anal Technol Biomed Life Sci 2009;877:842-6.
13. Singh SS, Jain M, Sharma K, Shah B, Vyas M, Thakkar P, et al. Quantitation of itopride in human serum by high-performance liquid chromatography with fluorescence detection and its application to a bioequivalence study. J Chromatogr B: Anal Technol Biomed Life Sci 2005;818:213-20.
14. Joshi P, Bhoir S, Bhagwat AM, Vishwanath K, Jadhav RK. Identification of forced degradation products of itopride by LC-PDA and LC-MS. Indian J Pharm Sci 2011;73:287-91.
15. JUM Rao. HPLC and UV spectrophotometric estimation of itopride in pharmaceutical formulations Carib. J Sci Technol 2016;4:896-903.
16. M Ayad. Spectrophotometric determination of tiemonium methyl sulfate, itopride hydrochloride and trimebutine maleate via ion pair complex formation and oxidation reaction. Indian J Adv Chem Sci 2016;4:85-97.
17. Lee HW, Seo JH, Choi SK, Lee KT. Determination of itopride in human plasma by liquid chromatography coupled to tandem mass spectrometric detection: application to a bioequivalence study. Anal Chim 2007;583:118-23.
18. Suganthi A, John S, Ravi TK. Simultaneous HPTLC determination of rabeprazole and itopride hydrochloride from their combined dosage form. Indian J Pharm Sci 2008;70:366-8.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.