IN VITRO CYTOTOXIC ACTIVITY OF ISOLATED COMPOUNDS FROM VIBURNUM PUNCTATUM BUCH-HAM EX D. DON
Objective: The main aim of the study was to screen the isolated compounds of Viburnum Punctatum for its in vitro anticancer activity and its percentage viability against HCT 15 (Human Colon Cancer Cells) Cell lines.
Methods: Pet ether, Chloroform, Methanol and Aqueous extracts was prepared and assayed for the presence of phytochemicals. Two compounds were isolated from the methanol extract of Viburnum Punctatum by column chromatography such as ME1 (Quercetin) and ME2 (Kaemferol-3-glycoside) characterised by UV, IR, MS, 1H NMR and 13C NMR. The above isolated compounds were subjected to in vitro anticancer activity on HCT 15 cell lines was evaluated by Micro culture Tetrazolium (MTT) assay.
Results: ME1 showed significant cytotoxic activity than the ME2 on HCT 15 cells with a percentage viability of 54.60 and 67.18 in the concentration of 10Âµg/ml and 50Âµg/ml respectively.
Conclusion: On the basis of obtained results, ME1 and ME2 isolated from a methanolic extract of Viburnum Punctatum represent a new group of cytotoxic against HCT 15 Cell lines.
2. Stuffiness M, Douros J. Current status of the NCI plant and animal product program. J Nat Prod 1982;45:1-14.
3. Del Regato JA, Spjut HJ. Cancer: Diagnosis treatment and Prognosis. Fifth Edition. CV, Mosby Co; 1997. p. 837.
4. Marcy J, Balunas, Douglas A. Drug discovery from medicinal plants. Life Sci 2005;78:431-41.
5. Adariana B, Rafael M, Gilberto S. Natural products in anticancer therapy. Curr Opin Pharmacol 2001;1:364-9.
6. Gupta Malaya, Upal Kanti Mazumdar. Anti-tumor activity and antioxidant status of Caesalpinia bonduclla against ehrlich asites carcinoma in swiss albino mice. J Pharmacol Sci 2004;94:177-84.
7. Govt of India. The Wealth of Indiaâ€ Raw Materials, Publications and Information, Directorate (CSIR), New Delhi; 2003. p. 437-46.
8. Gamble JS. Flora of the Presidency of Madrasâ€ Botanical Survey of India, Culcutta; 1995. p. 1-3.
9. Prabhu K, Karar PK, Hemalatha S, Ponnudurai K. Pharma-cognostic and preliminary phytochemical investigations on the leaves of Viburnum punctatum Buch-Ham. ex D. Donâ€. J Pharm Sci Res 2009;1:43-50.
10. Renjith Alex A, Ilango K. Phytochemical screening and evaluation of in vitro antioxidant activity of Viburnum punctatum Buch-Ham. Ex D. Donâ€. Am J Phytomed Clin Ther 2013;1:416-23.
11. Vijaya Padma V, Arul Diana Christie S, Dashti N, Wolf bauer G. Induction of apoptosis by ginger in Hep 2 cell line is by reactive oxygen species. Basic Clin Pharmacol 2007;100: 302-7.
12. Berridge M, Herst PM, Tans AS. Tetrazolium dyes as fools in cell biology. Biotehcnol Ann Rev 2005;11:127-52.
13. Shamim Sahranavard, Farzaneh Naghibi, Saeedeh Ghaffari. Cytotoxic activity of extracts and pure compounds of Bryonia Aspera. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2012;4(Supp 3):541-2.