A VALIDATED SPECTROPHOTOMETRIC METHOD FOR DETERMINATION OF VILAZODONE HYDROCHLORIDE IN PHARMACEUTICAL DOSAGE FORM
Objective: In the present research work three simple, accurate, precise methods of the UV-visible spectrophotometric method was developed and validated for the estimation of Vilazodone HCl in bulk and tablet dosage.
Methods: Three methods were used for estimation of Vilazodone HCl using methanol. Method A involves zero order spectroscopy at absorption maximum of 241 nm; Method B involves first order derivative at 246.5 nm and Method C involves second-order derivative at 243.5 nm. The developed methods were validated according to ICH guidelines.
Results: The developed methods were found to be linear in the concentration range of 1-5 Âµg/ml. The mean percentage label claim of Vilazodone HCl was within the acceptable range. The accuracy data showed % recovery and % RSD within the range.
Conclusion: The developed methods were found to be accurate and precise. The % RSD values were within limits. These methods can be used for the routine analysis of Vilazodone HCl in bulk and tablet dosage form.
2. http://www.drugs.com. [Last accessed on 28 Aug 2013]
3. Hughes ZA. Neurochemical evaluation of the novel 5-HT1A receptor partial agonist/serotonin reuptake inhibitor, vilazodone. Eur J Pharma 2005;510:49-57.
4. Forest Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Viibryd (Vilazodone) Prescribing Information; 2011. Available from: http://www.frx. com/pi/viibryd pi.pdf. [Last accessed on 17 Oct 2011]
5. Ghosh S, Bomma S, Prasanna VL, Banji D. Development of a validated UV-spectrophotometric method for the Estimation of Vilazodone Hydrochloride. Int J Drug Dev Res 2014;6:169-74.
6. Srinivas B, Yadagiriswamy P, Venkateswarlu G. Spctro-photometric determination of drugs in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form by using p-chloranilic acid. Int J Pharm Res Biol Sci 2015;4:213-28.
7. Ghosh S, Venkatesh S, Ravikumar BVV. Development of stability indicating RP-HPLC method and validation for the estimation of vilazodone hydrochloride. Int J PharmTech Res 2015;7:204-11.
8. Reddy PB, Pramod N, Venkateswararao P, Sudhakar babu AMS. Method development and validation for the assay of vilazodone in bulk and formulation by using rp-hplc technique: Int J Biol Pharma Res 2012;3:789-95.
9. Validation of Analytical Procedure Methodology. ICH Harmonized Tripartite Guidelines; 1996. p. 1-8.
10. Becket AH, Stenlake JB. Practical pharmaceutical chemistry. 4th ed. New Delhi: C. B. S. Publications; 2007. p. 243-56.