REVIEW ARTICLE: SOLUBILITY ENHANCEMENT BY SOLID DISPERSION
Enhancement of solubility, dissolution rate and bioavailability of the drug is a very challenging task in drug development, nearly 40% of the new chemical entities currently being discovered are poorly water soluble drugs. The solubility behaviour of the drugs remains one of the most challenging aspects in formulation development. This results in important products not reaching the market or not achieving their full potential. Solid dispersion is one of the techniques adopted for the formulation of such drugs and various methods are used for the preparation of solid dispersion. Solid dispersion is generally prepared with a drug which is having poor aqueous solubility and hydrophilic carrier. This article review various methods and concept of solid dispersion, criteria for drug selection, advantage and disadvantage, characterization, and application.
2. Sekiguchi K, Obi N. Studies on the absorption of eutectic mixture. I. A comparison of the behaviour of a eutectic mixture of sulfathiazole and that of ordinary sulfathiazole in man. Chem Pharm Bull 1961;9:866-72.
3. Goldberg AH, Gibaldi M, Kanig JL. Increasing dissolution rates and gastrointestinal absorption of drugs via solid solutions and eutectic mixtures II-experimental evaluation of a eutectic mixture: urea-acetaminophen system. J Pharma Sci 1966;55:482-7.
4. Castellan GW. Physical Chemistry, Addison-Wesley, Menlo Park, CA; 1983. p. 324-36.
5. Swarbrick J. ed 3. Encyclopaedia of pharmaceutical technology; 2006. p. 775-7.
6. Goldberg AH, Gibaldi M, Kanig JL. Increasing dissolution rates and gastrointestinal absorption of drugs via solid solutions and eutectic mixtures. I. Theoretical considerations and discussion of the literature. J Pharm Sci 1965;54:1145-8.
7. Hume Rotherly W, Raynor GV. The structure of metals and alloys, Institute of Metals, London; 1954.
8. Arunachalam A, Karthikeyan M, Konam K, Prasad P, Sethuraman S, Ashutoshraman S. Solid dispersions: a review, CPR; 2010. p. 82-90.
9. Patel PB, Prajapati ST, Patel NR, Patel NN, Patel CN. Solid dispersion: a method of improving bioavailability and taste masking. Inventi Rapid: Pharm Tech Vol 2013;3:427-39.
10. Ranade VV, Canon JB. Drug delivery systems. 3rd Edn. Published by Taylor and Francis group; 2011. p. 231-4.
11. Eun Jung Kim. Preparation of solid dispersion of felodipine using a solvent wetting method. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 2006;64:200-5.
12. X Wang, Michel A. Solid-state characteristics of ternary solid dispersions composed of PVP VA64, Myrj 52 and itraconazole. Int J Pharm 2005;303:54-61.
13. Leunar C, Dreessan J. Improving drug solubility for oral delivary using solid dispersion. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 2000;50:47-60.
14. OG Bhusnure, PA Kazi, SB Gholve, MMAW Ansari, SN Kazi. Review article solid dispersion: an evergreen method for solubility enhancement of poorly water soluble drugs. Int J Res Pharm Chem 2014;4:906-18.
15. PS Argade, DD Magar, RB Saudagar. Review article on solid dispersion as solubility enhancement technique for poorly water soluble drugs. J Adv Pharm Edu Res 2013;3:427-39.
16. Singh Jaskirat, Walia Manpreet, Harikumar SL. Formulation and evaluation of fast dissolving tablets of rosuvastatin. J Drug Delivery Ther 2013;3:148-55.
17. Neha Ojha, Bala Prabhakar. Advances in solubility enhancement techniques. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2013;3:351-8.
18. Dixit AK, Singh RP, Singh Stuti. Formulation and evaluation of solid dispersion of amlodipine besylate. Int J Res Pharm Biomed Sci 2012;3:960-6.
19. Sameer Singh, Raviraj Singh Baghel, Lalit Yadav. A review on solid dispersion. Int J Pharm Life Sci 2014;2:1078-95.
20. Varun Raj Vemula, Venkateshwarlu Lagishetty, Srikanth Lingala. Combinational products: a regulatory review. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2010;5:41-51.
21. Rajani Chauhan, Sneha Virmani, Suman. Quantitative method development and validation of sulfasalazine in tablet dosage form by uv-spectroscopy. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2012;2:120-2.