ANTI-ASTHMA ACTIVITY OF TAMARIND PULP EXTRACT (TAMARINDUS INDICA L.)
Objective: Tamarind (Tamarindusindica L.) is one of the plants, which most of its parts are not only rich in nutrients, but also has been used widely in the community as a medicine, and one of them is believed to have effectiveness as anti-asthma.
Methods: The study of that anti-asthma activity was conducted by using the test method of improvement breathing patterns in the male guinea pig and using anti-inflammatory testing in male Wistar rats.
Results: The results of breathing patterns improvement test shows that there is no significant difference of breath intensity between observation groups (extract in doses of 25 mg/kg bw guinea pig, 75 mg/kg bw guinea pig, and 225 mg/kg bw guinea pig) and the control group. However, it has significant differences (p<0.05) in the decline of breath frequency, in line with the effect that given by methylprednisolone 4.5 mg/kg bw guinea pig and salbutamol 4 mg/kg bw guinea pig. While the result of anti-inflammatory test shows the significant decrease in inflammation percentage in each of observation group (extract in doses of 25 mg/kg bw rat, 75 mg/kg bw rat, and 225 mg/kg bw rat) than the control group at minute 30 up to 360, it is in line with the reduction effect given by methylprednisolone 4.5 mg/kg bw rat.
Conclusion: The best effect in breathing patterns improvements and anti-inflammatory are demonstrated by extract in a dose of 75 mg/kg bw. One of the anti-asthma mechanisms is an anti-inflammatory effect.
2. Dipiro JT, Chisholm-Burn M, Wells BG, Schwinghammer TL, Malone PM, Kolesar JM, et al. Pharmacotherapy principal and practice. The McGraw-Hill Companies. The United States; 2008. p. 211.
3. Sari CYI. Allergic inflammation in asthma. CDK-207. Vol. 40. Faculty of Medicine, IU/Friendship Hospital. Jakarta, Indonesia; 2013. p. 586-7.
4. Mulia MJ. Development of pathogenesis and treatment of bronchial asthma. Faculty of Pharmachy. University of Trisakti. Jakarta, Indonesia; 2011. p. 6.
5. Agency for Health Research and Development. Basic health research. Ministry of Health of Indonesia. Jakarta, Indonesia; 2013. p. 86-7.
6. Meher B, Deepak KD, Anupama R. a review on: phytochemistry, pharmacology and traditional uses of Tamarindus indica L. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;3:229-30, 233.
7. Morton JF. The tamarind (Tamarindus indica L.) its food, medical and industrial uses. University of Miami. Florida State Horticultural Society; 1958. p. 291.
8. Kuru P. Tamarindus indica and its health-related effects. Marmara University School of Medicine, Medical Intern. Istanbul, Turkey. Asian Pacific J Trop Biomed 2014:4:677-9.
9. Iskandar Y. Medicinal plants efficacious as antibronchial asthma. Faculty of Pharmacy, Padjadjaran University. Jatinangor, Indonesia; 2006. p. 15.
10. Prasaja Y, Soemardji AA, Sigit JI. Activity anti-ashmatic of sembung (Blumea balsamifera (L.) DC.) leaves ethanol extract based on breathing patterns of male guinea pigs. Bandung Institute of Technology. Bandung, Indonesia; 2005. p. 1.
11. Bokanisereme, Yusuf UF, Okechuwu PN. Anti-inflammatory, analgesic and antipyretic activity of cassava leaves extract. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2011:6:90.
12. Gupta M, Mazumder UK, Gomathi P, Selvan VT. Antiinflammatory evaluation of leaves of Plumeria acuminate. BioMed Central Sci 2006;6:3.
13. Tayade P, Baba J, Angadi S, Chandrasekar N, Jagtap SA, Vaishnav G, et al. Antihistaminic activity of methanolic extract of leave of Tamarindus indica Linn. J Chem Pharm Sci 2009;2:274.
14. Kaushik ML, Jalalpure. AntiÂinflammatory efficacy of Curcuma zedoaria ROSC. root extracts. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2011;4:90.
15. Hidayah N, Nasution. Relations noise exposure and characteristics vespa pedicab drivers against blood pressure in padangsidimpuan city in 2013. University of Northern Sumatra. Padang, Indonesia; 2014. p. 14.