STUDY TO EVALUATE USE OF IRRATIONAL FIXED DRUG COMBINATIONS


Sudhakar K., C. Deepa Latha, Deepika Baloju, A. R. Malahat, G. Vijayalakshmi

Abstract


Objective: To identify fixed drug combinations causing the adverse drug reactions both rational and irrational.

Methods: A prospective observational study was carried out over a period of 6 mo (between June 2016 to December 2016) to evaluate adverse drug reactions related to fixed drug combinations in a tertiary care teaching hospital using suspected adverse drug reaction reporting form.

Results: A total number of 64 adverse drug reactions were reported during this period. Of the total adverse drug reactions reported, 27 (42%) were due to fixed drug combinations. 6 (28.5%) were serious and 21(71.5%) were non-serious. Causality was certain in 4 (14.8%) cases and probably in remaining 23 (85.2%) cases. 19(70%) irrational fixed drug combinations were reported.

Conclusion: The above results show that irrational fixed drug combinations contribute major extent to adverse drug reactions. Hence, awareness programs should be conducted for all the health care workers to improve the rationality of prescription and to decrease adverse drug reactions.


Keywords


Fixed Drug Combinations (FDC), Adverse Drug Reactions, Rationality, Pharmacovigilance, National list of essential medicines (NLEM)

| PDF | HTML |

References


WHO Expert Committee on Specifications for Pharmaceutical Preparations: thirty-ninth report. (WHO technical report series); 2005. p. 929.

National List of Essential Medicines (NLEM); 2015.

Health ministry bans 344 fixed dose combination drugs-timesof India; 2016.

Vijay Khjauria, Vishal R Tandon, Neelam Rani, Roshi, Sanjeev Gupta, S Habnam Choudhary, et al. Profile of adverse drug reactions with fixed drug combinations: how big is the problem? JK Sci 2015;17:33-7.

Balat JD, Gandhi AM, Patel PP, Dikshit RK. A study of use of fixed dose combinations in Ahmedabad, India. Indian J Pharmacol 2014;46:503-9.

Radhika MS, Mayur SS, Priyadarshini Kop. Pattern of cutaneous adverse drug reactions due to the use of fixed dose drug combinations. Int J Basic Clin Pharmacol 2013;2:558.

Manu Gangadhar, Narasimhamurthy Kalenahally Muthahanumai, Padmanabha Thiruganahalli Shivaraju. An evaluation of knowledge, attitude and practices about prescribing fixed dose combinations among postgraduates of a rural tertiary health care teaching hospital. Int J Basic Clin Pharmacol 2016;5:2480.




About this article

Title

STUDY TO EVALUATE USE OF IRRATIONAL FIXED DRUG COMBINATIONS

Keywords

Fixed Drug Combinations (FDC), Adverse Drug Reactions, Rationality, Pharmacovigilance, National list of essential medicines (NLEM)

DOI

10.22159/ijcpr.2017v9i5.22140

Date

21-09-2017

Additional Links

Manuscript Submission

Journal

International Journal of Current Pharmaceutical Research
Vol 9, Issue 5 (Aug-Sep), 2017 Page: 64-66

Online ISSN

0975-7066

Statistics

1 Views | 0 Downloads

Authors & Affiliations

Sudhakar K.
Department of Pharmacology Bhaskar Medical College Moinabad,
India

C. Deepa Latha
Department of Pharmacology Bhaskar Medical College Moinabad,
India

Deepika Baloju
Department of Pharmacology Bhaskar Medical College Moinabad,
India

A. R. Malahat
Pharmacovigilance Associate, ADR Monitoring Centre Bhaskar Medical College, Moinabad
India

G. Vijayalakshmi
Department of Pharmacology Bhaskar Medical College Moinabad
India


Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.