ANTITUSSIVE ACTIVITY ASSAYOF SAGE (LANTANA CAMARA L.)LEAVES BASED ON THE BREATHING PATTERN OF MALE GUINEA PIGS USING ADOBE AUDITION 1.5 PROGRAM
Objective: The present study was aimed to assay antitussive activity of Sage (Lantana camara L.)leaves
Methods: Antitussive Assay was conducted based on The Breathing Pattern of Male Guinea Pigs Using Adobe Audition 1.5 Program.
Results: Comparison of the frequency of breathing patterns guinea pig groups sage (Lantana camara L.)Â leaves water fraction at a dose of 4.58 mg/kg bw dose of 9.17 mg/kg bw and doses of 18.35 mg/kg bw statistically significantly different results (p<0.05), as well as the ratio of intensity of the breathing pattern of the guinea pig. As for the water extract, significant differences in the frequency comparison guinea pig respiratory pattern is only shown at a dose of 18.35 mg/kg bw on the other side for its intensity did not show significant differences (p<0.05).
Conclusion: Ethanol extract of sage leaves in the form of three fractionation (ethyl acetate, n-hexane, and water) can improve the breathing pattern guinea pig cough, especially at a dose of 18.35 mg/kg bw.
2. Brooks, Stuart M. Perspective on the human cough reflex. Cough 7.1; 2011. p. 10.
3. Bent, Stephen. Herbal medicine in the United States: review of efficacy, safety, and regulation. J General Internal Med 2008;23:854-9.
4. Srivastava, Janmejai K, Eswar Shankar, Sanjay Gupta. Chamomile: a herbal medicine of the past with bright future. Mol Med Reports 2010;3:895.
5. Swamy, Mallappa Kumara, Sinniah, Uma Rani, Akhtar, Mohd Sayeed. In vitro pharmacological activities and GC-MS analysis of different solvent extracts of Lantana camara leaves collected from tropical region of Malaysia. J. Evidence-Based Complementary Altern Med 2015. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/ 2015/506413
6. Verdeguer, Mercedes, Blazquez, M Amparo, Boira, Herminio. Phytotoxic effects of lantana camara, eucalyptus camaldulensis and eriocephalusafricanus essential oils in weeds of mediterranean summer crops. Biochem Systematics Ecol 2009;37:362-9.
7. Ganjewala, Deepak. Biochemical compositions and antibacterial activities of lantana camara plants with yellow, lavender, red and white flowers. Eur Asia J Biosci 2009;3:69-77.
8. Bhakta, Deepita, Ganjewala, Deepak. Effect of leaf positions on total phenolics, flavonoids and proanthocyanidins content and antioxidant activities in Lantana camara (L). J Sci Res 2009;1:363-9.
9. Sonibare O, Oluwadayo, Effiong I. Antibacterial activity and cytotoxicity of essential oil of Lantana camara L. leaves from Nigeria. Afr J Biotechnol 2008;7:15.
10. Ghosh, Subhalakshmi. Antiâ€inflammatory and anticancer compounds isolated from ventilagomadraspatana gaertn., Rubiacordifolia Linn. and Lantana camara Linn. J Pharm Pharmacol 2010;62:1158-66.
11. Pour, Badakhshan Mahdi, Sasidharan, Sreenivasan. In vivo toxicity study of Lantana camara. Asian Pacific J Trop Biomed 2011;1:230-2.
12. Prasaja Y, Soemardji AA, Sigit JI. Activity anti-ashmatic of sembung (Blumea balsamifera (L.) DC.) leaves ethanol extract based on breathing patterns of male guinea pigs. Bandung Institute of Technology. Bandung, Indonesia; 2005. p. 1.