PHARMACOLOGICAL EVALUATION OF ANTIANXIETY ACTIVITY OF DESMOSTACHYA BIPINNATA LEAVES IN ANIMAL MODELS
Objective: Anxiety is a widespread psychiatric disorder affecting around 5% of the population. Furthermore, it is difficult to predict patientâ€™s response to any given treatment. In the traditional systems of medicine, many plants have been used to treat anxiety and depression for thousands of years. Desmostachyabipinnata belongs to the family Poaceae, have pharmacological actions like dysenteryÂ andÂ menorrhagia, and as aÂ diuretic. The present study was designed to evaluate the antianxiety activity of the alcoholic and aqueous extracts of Desmostachyabipinnata leaves in rodents.
Methods: Antianxiety activity was screened by different methods like elevated plus maze model and actophotometer.
Results: The results infer that reduced aversion fear elicits anti-anxiety activity.
Conclusion: It was concluded that alcoholic and aqueous extracts of Desmostachyabipinnata leaves are having anti-anxiety activity among which alcoholic extract of Desmostachyabipinnata leaves showing more significant activity over the aqueous extract.
2. Patel, Nitirajshree, Praboth V Shah. Evaluation of antidepressant activity of herbomineral formulation. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:1-6.
3. Hina H, Audil R. Isolation of fungi from roots of partheniumhysterophorus and Desmostachyabipinnata and antibacterial activity of their root extracts. J Biol Sci 2001;5:350.
4. Amani SA, Nawal HM, Derek JM, Gamal AS. Antiulcerogenic activity of extract and some isolated flavonoids from Desmostachiabipinnata (L.) Stapf. Rec Nat Prod 2008;2:76-82.
5. Upendarrao Golla, Solomon Sunder Raj Bhimathati. Evaluation of antioxidant and DNA damage protection activity of the hydroalcoholic extract of Desmostachyabipinnata L. Stapf. Sci World J 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/215084
6. Anupama Singh, Vikas Anand Saharan, Indrachand Kumawat, Ram Veerma, Anil Bhandari. Anti-histaminic Activity of Desmostachya bipinnata. J Biol Act Prod Nat 2014;4:7-11.
7. Yaso Deepika, M Aparna Rama, Lakshmi Devi, B Nagaraju, P Ramya Deepthi, B Vasudha Bakshi. Anti obesity activity and beneficial effects of methanolic extract of desmostachyabipinnata in HFD and progesterone induced obesity in rats and mice. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2016;7:4644-55.
8. Upendarrao Golla, Praveen Kumar Gajam, Solomon Sunder Raj B. The effect of Desmostachyabipinnata (Linn.) extract on physiologically altered glycemic status in nondiabetic rats. J Med Sci 2013;13:221-5.
9. Golla U, Gajam PK, Bhimathati SS. Evaluation of diuretic and laxative activity of hydroalcoholic extract of Desmostachyabipinnata (L.) Stapf in rats. J Integrative Med 2014;12:372-8.
10. Medha M Hegde, K Lakshman, K Girija, BS Ashok kumar, V Lakshmiprasanna. Assessment of antidiarrhoeal activity of Desmostachyabipinnata L. (Poaceae) root extracts. Food Agric Organization United Nations 2010;9:312-8.
12. R Naga Kishore, T Mangilal, N Anjaneyulu, G Abhinayani, N sravya. Investigation of anti-urolithiatic activity of brassica oleraceagongylodes and desmostachyabipinnata in experimentally induced urolithiasis in animal models. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:602-4.
13. Mohammed A Ramadan, NA Safwat. Antihelicobacter activity of a flavonoid compound isolated from Desmostachya Bipinnata. Australian J Basic Appl Sci 2009;3:2270-7.
14. Hafiz Muhammad Abdur Rahman, Samra Bashir, Anwarul Hassan Gilani. Calcium channel blocking activity in Desmostachyabipinnata (L.) explains its use in gut and airways disorders. Phytother Res 2013;27:678-84.
15. Vinod Kumar, Rajeev Kumar, Sanjay Yadav, Satyawan Singh, Surendra Nath Pandeya. Evaluation of analgesic and anti-inflammatory activity of hydroalcoholic extract of Desmostachyabipinnata (L.) stapf root on experimental animals. Int J Pharm Sci Drug Res 2010;2:213-5.
16. Kalpana Pravin Rahate, A Rajasekaran. Hepatoprotection by active fractions from Desmostachya bipinnata stapf (L.) against tamoxifen-induced hepatotoxicity. Indian J Pharmacol 2015;47:311-5.
17. D Benito Johnson, Neethu P Charles, Banshongdor H Mawlieh, Timai Passah, V Venkatanarayanan. Evaluation of the anti-oxidant and hepatoprotective activity of Desmostachyabipinnata leaf extracts by various hepatotoxin induced albino rat models. Res J Pharmacogn Phytochem 2016;8:109-15.
18. Rodgers RJ, Cao BJ, Dalvi A, Holmes A. Animal models of anxiety: an ethological perspective. Brazilian J Med Biol Res 1997;30:289â€“304.
19. N Packialakshmi, Alwin. Analysis of phytochemical and high-performance liquid chromatography in Desmostachyabipinnata. BMR Biotechnol 2014;1:1-6.
20. Gnatta JR, Dornellas EV, Paes da Silva MJ. The use of aromatherapy in alleviating anxiety. Acta Paul Enferm 2011;24:257-63.
21. K Ashok Kumar, Sharvanee, Jitendra Patel, Ram Kumar Choudhary. Chemical composition and antimicrobial activity of the essential oil of Desmostachyabipinnatalinn. Int J Phytomed 2010;2:436-9.
22. Jane R Hanrahan, Mary Chebib, Graham AR Johnston. Flavonoid modulation of GABAA receptors. Br J Pharmacol 2011;163:234â€“45.