ISOLATION, CHARACTERIZATION AND VALIDATION OF HPLC METHOD FOR QUANTIFICATION OF BIS-[10-(2-METHYL-4H-3-THIA-4,9-DIAZABENZO[F]AZULENE)]-1,4-PIPERAZINE IN AN ANTI-PSYCHOTIC DRUG SUBSTANCE, OLANZAPINE
Objective: The main objective of present study was to Isolate, characterize and validate a reverse phase high performance liquid chromatographic method was validated for quantification of bis-[10-(2-methyl-4H-3-thia-4,9-diazabenzo[f]azulene)]-1,4-piperazine in Olanzapine drug substance; it decreases the mental disorders in human body. The method is specific, rapid, precise and accurate for the separation and determination of bis-[10-(2-methyl-4H-3-thia-4,9-diazabenzo[f]azulene)]-1,4-piperazine in Olanzapine drug substance form.
Methods: The bis-[10-(2-methyl-4H-3-thia-4,9-diazabenzo[f]azulene)]-1,4-piperazine of Olanzapine was resolved on a Zorbax RX-C 8, 250 mm X 4.6 mm, 5 micron column (L-1) using a mobile phase system containing 0.03 M sodium dodecyl sulphate in water pH 2.5 with 1 N sodium hydroxide solution and acetonitrile in the ratio of (Mobile phase A-52:48 v/v) and (Mobile phase B-buffer and Acetonitrile 30:70 v/v) by using the gradient program. The mobile phase was set at a flow rate of 1.5 ml/min and the volume injected was 20Î¼l for every injection. The detection wavelength was set at 220 nm and the column temperature was set at 35 Â°C.
Results: The proposed method was productively applied for the quantitative determination of bis-[10-(2-methyl-4H-3-thia-4,9-diazabenzo [f]azulene)]-1,4-piperazine in Olanzapine drug substance form. The linear regression analysis data for calibration plots showed a good linear relationship over a concentration range of 0.025to 0.903 Âµg/ml for bis-[10-(2-methyl-4H-3-thia-4,9-diazabenzo[f]azulene)]-1,4-piperazine, 0.081-0.608 Âµg/ml for Olanzapine. The mean values of the correlation coefficient were 0.999 and 0.999 for bis-[10-(2-methyl-4H-3-thia-4,9-diazabenzo[f]azulene)]-1,4-piperazine and Olanzapine. The method was validated as per the ICH guidelines. The detection limit (LOD) was about 0.007 Âµg/ml, 0.024 Âµg/ml and quantitation limit (LOQ) was about 0.024 Âµg/ml, 0.081 Âµg/ml for bis-[10-(2-methyl-4H-3-thia-4,9-diazabenzo[f]azulene)]-1,4-piperazine and Olanzapine. The relative standard deviation was found to be 1.64 % and 2.18 % for bis-[10-(2-methyl-4H-3-thia-4,9-diazabenzo[f]azulene)]-1,4-piperazine and Olanzapine.Conclusion: The validated HPLC method and the statistical analysis showed that the method is repeatable and selective for the estimation of the bis-[10-(2-methyl-4H-3-thia-4,9-diazabenzo[f]azulene)]-1,4-piperazine of the Olanzapine drug substance.
2. Sweetman SC. Ed. by Martindale, the Complete Drug Reference; Pharmaceutical Press; 2007.
3. Keamey BP, Flherty JF, Shah J. Olanzapine: clinical pharmacology and pharmacokinetics. Clin Pharmacokinet 2004;43:595-612.
4. MA Raggi, G Casamenti, R Mandrioli, G Izzo, E Kenndler. Quantitation of olanzapine in tablets by HPLC, CZE, derivative spectrometry and linear voltammetry. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2000;23:973â€“81.
5. LJ Dusci, LP Hackett, LM Fellows, KF Ilett. Determination of olanzapine in plasma by high-performance liquid chromatography using ultraviolet absorbance detection. J Chromatogr B 2002;773:191â€“7.
6. DW Boulton, JS Markowitz, CL Vane. A high-performance liquid chromatography assay with ultraviolet detection for olanzapine in human plasma and urine. J Chromatogr B 2001;759:319â€“23.
7. JT Catlow, RD Barton, M Clemens, TA Gillespie, M Goodwin, SP Swanson. Analysis of olanzapine in human plasma utilizing reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography with electrochemical detection. J Chromatogr B 1995;668:85â€“90.
8. CS Torre, MA Martinez, E Almarza. Several psychiatric drugs in whole blood using capillary gasâ€“liquid chromatography with nitrogen phosphorus detection: comparison of two solid phase extraction procedures. Forensic Sci Int 2005;155:193â€“204.
9. Geneva: IFPMA. International Conference on Harmonization. Guidance on validation of analytical procedure: Text and methodology. ICHâ€“Q2(R1); 2005.
10. Stability ICH. Testing of New Drug Substances and Products Q1A (R2),â€ International Conference on Har-monization, IFPMA, Geneva; 2003.
11. ICH Photo Stability, Testing of New Drug Substances and Products Q1b,â€ International Conference on Harmo-nization, IFPMA, Geneva; 1996.