FORMULATION AND EVALUATION OF TOPICAL ANTIFUNGAL GEL CONTAINING ITRACONAZOLE
Objective: The present research has been undertaken with the aim to develop a topical gel formulation of Itraconazole. Itraconazole is an imidazole derivative and used for the treatment of local and systemic fungal infection. The oral use of Itraconazole is not much recommended as it has many side effects. Commercially Itraconazole topical gel preparation are not available in the market, thus this formulation is made for better patient compliance and to reduce the dose of the drug and to avoid the side effects like liver damage and kidney damage.
Methods: The gel was formulated by changing the polymer ratio. Various formulation (F1, F2, F3, F4, F5) were developed by using a suitable polymer (carbopol 934p and HPMC). The formulation was evaluated for % yield, spreadability, extrudability, wash ability and viscosity in vitro drug release study, skin irritation study, stability testing.
Results: Viscosity studies of various formulations revealed that formulation F3 was better to compare to others. From among all the developed formulation, F3 shows better drug diffusion, did good Rheological properties. pH of the F3 formulation is sufficient enough to treat the skin infections. Results indicated that the concentration of carbopol-934 and HPMC K4M significantly affects drug release and rheological properties of the gels.Conclusion: It was concluded that formulation F3 was the best formulation among this formulation. Hence formulation F3 should be further developed for scale-up to industrial production.
2. Gupta A, Mishra AK, Singh AK, Gupta V, Bansal P. Formulation and evaluation of topical gel of diclofenac sodium using different polymers. Drug Invention Today 2010;2:250-3.
3. Gerry Fink and the Fink lab. How antifungal drug kill fungi and cure disease; 2005. Available from: URL: http://www. medscape.com/viewprogram/296 3-pn. [Last accessed on 09 Feb 2005].
4. Golinkin HS. Process for fracturing well formulation using aqueous gels. US Patent, US 4137182; 1979.
5. Singh MP, Nagori BP, Shaw NR. Formulation development and evaluation of topical gel formulations using different gelling agents and its comparison with marketed gel formulation. Int J Pharm Erud 2013;3:1-10.
6. B Niyaz Basha, Kalyani P, Divakar G. Formulation and evaluation of gel containing fluconazole-antifungal. Int J Drug Dev Res 2011;3:109-12.
7. Doaa AH, Dalia AE, Sally AA, Mohamed AE. Formulation and evaluation of fluconazole topical gel. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2012;4:176-83.
8. Sudipta DA, Arnab SA, Ananya BO. Design, development and evaluation of fluconazole topical gel. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2015;8:132-13.
9. Ashni VE, Sukhdev SI, Rupinder KA, Upendra KJ. A review: topical gels as drug delivery systems. Int J Phrm Sci Rev Res 2013;23:374-82.
10. Prateek CH, Rajesh ST, Umesh RA. A review on the topical gel. Int J Pharm Bio Agric 2013;4:606â€“13.
11. Loveleen PR, Tarun KG. Topical gel: a recent approach for novel drug delivery. Asian J Biomed Pharm Sci 2013;3:1-5.
12. Debjit B, Harish G, B Pragati, S Duraivel, KP Sampath Kumar. Recent advances in novel topical drug delivery system. Pharma Innovation 2012;1:12-31.
13. Roychowdhury S, Singh DH, Gupta R, Masih D. A review on the pharmaceutical gel. Int J Pharm Res Bio Sci 2012;1:21-36.
14. Loveleenpreet K, Prabhjot K. Formulation and evaluation of topical gel of meloxicam. Int J Res Pharm Chem 2014;4:619-23.
15. PK Lakshmi, Marka KK, Aishwarya S, Shyamala B. Formulation and evaluation of ibuprofen topical gel: a novel approach for penetration enhancement. Int J Appl Pharma 2011;3:25-30.
16. Joshi B, Gurpreet AC, Saini S, Singla V, Emulgel A. Comprehensive review on the recent advances in topical drug delivery. Int Res J Pharm 2011;2:66-70.
17. Arun RR, Elwin J, Jyoti H, Sreerekha S. Formulation and evaluation of Ketoprofen solid dispersion incorporated topical gels, Eur J Biomed Pharm Sci 2016;3:156-64.
18. Swetha CH, Sellappan VP, Narayana RG, Nagarjuna R. Formulation and evaluation of clarithromycin topical gel. Int J Drug Dev Res 2013;5:194-202.
19. Ganesh M, Gouri D, Vijay G. Formulation and evaluation of herbal gels. Int J Nat Prod Res 2012;3:501-5.
20. Marwa HS, Ghada FM. Evaluation of topical gel bases formulated with various essential oils for antibacterial activity against methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus. Trop J Pharm Res 2013;12:877-84.
21. Aejaz A, Azmail K, Sanaullah S, Mohsin AA. Formulation and in vitro evaluation of aceclofenac solid dispersion incorporated gels. Int J Appl Pharm 2010;2:7-12.
22. Barhate SD, Potdar MB, Nerker P. Development of meloxicam sodium transdermal gel. Int J Pharm Res Dev 2010;2:1-7.
23. Bazigha AK, Eman AF, Sahar FA, Heyam SS, Saeed KA, Development and evaluation of Ibuprofen transdermal gel formulations. Trop J Pharm Res 2010;9:355-63.
24. Jain S, Padsalg BD, Patel AK, Mokale V. Formulation, development and evaluation of fluconazole gel in various polymer bases. Asian J Pharm 2007;1:3-8.