CYTOTOXICITY OF AROMATIC COMPOUND FROM AN ENDOPHYTIC FUNGUS, CLADOSPORIUM SP. EN-S01
Objective: Endophytes have the potential to synthesize various bioactive secondary metabolites. The aims of the study were to isolate the major compound from endophytic Cladosporium sp. EN-S01., identify its function group, then evaluate its cytotoxicity.
Methods: The endophytic fungus was grown in potato dextrose broth and extracted using ethyl acetate. Secondary metabolites were isolated by chromatographic separation and re-crystallization, and function group was determined by infrared spectroscopy. In vitro cytotoxicity was evaluated by the prestoblue assay.
Result: The isolated aromatic compound evaluated by prestoblue assay against breast cancer cell line MCF-7 showed cytotoxicity with IC50 value of 746,03 ppm.
Conclusion: Our findings indicate this aromatic compound might be useful lead compounds to develop cytotoxic drugs.
2. Sunil D, Kamath PR. In vitro bioassay techniques for anticancer drug discovery and development. CRC Press; 2017.
3. Wulandari AP, Examinati RRIN, Madihah, Huspa, D. H. P, Andrayaningsih P. Cytotoxicity of metabolites produced by endopytic fungus cladosporium sp. isolated from marine macroalgae on inÂvitro MCFÂ7, HeLa, and DU-145 cell lines. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2018;10:72-6.
4. Sarker SD, Nahar L. An introduction to natural products isolation. Natural Products Isolation 2012;2:1-25.
5. Li HL, Li XM, Mandi A, Antus S, Li X, Zhang P, et al. Characterization of cladosporols from the marine algal-derived endophytic fungus cladosporium cladosporioides EN-399 and configurational revision of the previously reported cladosporol derivatives. J Org Chem 2017;82:9946-54.
6. Ai W, Lin X, Wang Z, Lu X, Mangaladoss F, Yang X, et al. Cladosporone A, a new dimeric tetralone from fungus cladosporium sp. KcFL6'derived of mangrove plant Kandelia candel. J Antibiot 2015;68:213.
7. Boncler M, RoÅ¼alski M, Krajewska U, PodsÄ™dek A, Watala C. Comparison of prestoblue and MTT assays of cellular viability in the assessment of anti-proliferative effects of plant extracts on human endothelial cells. J Pharmacol Toxicol Methods 2014;69:9-16.