EFFECT OF TRIDAXPROCUMBENS EXTRACTS ON BLOOD CLOTTING
Objective: The present work has focused on evaluating the effect of tridaxprocumbens on blood clotting.Methods: in the course of our study we have therefore carried out a Hydro ethanol extraction (50/50), Liquid-Solid extraction, and phytochemical screening. Thereafter our study was carried out on nine (09) male and female Wistar type rats aged from 10 to 12 w and weighing between 100 and 200 g. These animals were raised at the laboratory of Biomembranes Laboratory and Cell Signaling from FAST to UAC under standard environmental conditions. Animals have free access to water and food. 09 rats are experienced, divided in three batches of 3 rats each, submitted respectively to the following treatment: fed with distilled water, fed with 100 mg/kg P. C tridax extract procumbens, fed at 300 mg/kg P. C tridax extract procumbens. Evolution of the weight of rats during treatment was measured. After 7 d of treatment, the blood of the rats is taken for an experience of bleeding time, experience of coagulation time, and dosage of some blood parameters (platelet, partial thromboplastin, prothrombin).
Results: Phytochemical screening carried out on the leaf and stem powder of Tridaxprocumbens revealed the presence of phenolic compounds, flavonoids, reducing sugar, mucilage, terpene and sterol, but at varying proportions. After 7 d of treatment, evaluation of the effect of the extractions on the body weight of the rats gave interesting conclusions. The weight of the control rats did indeed increase while that of the rats treated with the dose of (100 and 300 mg/kg) dropped. In addition, the effect of the hydroethanolic extract of the leaves and stems of Tridaxprocumbens on the coagulation of blood has been studied in order to verify the alleged property that the said extract can be used to manage bleeding. This was done by examining the effect of the extract on bleeding time, coagulation time, platelet count, activated partial thromboplastin time and prothrombin rate. These were carried out using the Duke method and the Lee and White method. In the bleeding time experiment, the mean time without adding the extract was 2.58Â±0.31 min, while the mean bleeding time after treatment with the extract was 1.61Â±0.70 min at a dose of 100 mg/kg PC and 1.77Â±0.69 min at a dose of 300 mg/kg PC, achieving 57% of the decrease in normal bleeding time. Thus the extract significantly lowers the bleeding time.
When the extract was used for the coagulation time, it was found that the extract promotes blood clotting. In addition, this study reveals that Tridaxprocumbens significantly influences TCA, TP and platelet count at varying doses.
Conclusion: The plant material studied in this study is, therefore, a credible alternative for an effective fight against bleeding and also promotes the coagulation of blood.
2. Jahangir M. Chemical and biological studies on some members of asteraceae family and pseudocalymmaelegans, a Native of Brazil. Ph. D. Thesis submitted to the international center for chemical Sciences H. E. J, Research Institute of Chemistry, Univers; 2001.
3. Novais J. Studies on pharmaceutical ethnobotany in Arrabida. Natural Park (Portugal) 2004;93:183-95.
4. Sanogo H, Karadji O, Dembele D. Diallo. Mali Medical 2009;24:1-6.
5. Ali M, Ravinder E, Ramachandran R. A new flavonoid from the aerial parts of tridaxprocumbens. Fitoterapia 2001 ;72:313â€“5.
6. Mann A, Abdulkadir NU, Muhammad G. Medicinal and economic plants of Nup Land. Juberevans Books and Publication; 2003.
7. Vilwanathan R, Shivashangari KS, Devak T. Hepatoprotective activity of Tridaxprocumbens against d-galactosamine/ lipopolysaccharide-induced hepatitis in rats. J Ethnopharmacol 2005;101:55â€“60.
8. Tiwari U, Rastogi B, Singh P, Saraf DK, Vyas SP. Immunomodulatory effects of aqueous extract of tridaxprocumbens in experimental animals. J Ethnopharmacol 2004;92:113â€“9.
9. Durgacharan A Bhagwat, Suresh G Killedar, Rahul S Adnaik. Anti-diabetic activity of leaf extract of tridax procumbens. Int J Green Pharm 2008;2:126-8.
10. Reddipalli Hemalatha. Alteration of plasma lipid profile and atherogenic indices of cholesterol-loaded rats by tridax procumbens linn: implications for the management of obesity and cardiovascular diseases. Int J Green Pharm 2008;2:164-9.
11. Salahdeen HM, Yemitan OK, Alada ARA. Effect of aqueous leaf extract of Tridaxprocumbens on blood pressure and heart rate in rats. Afr J Biomed Res 2004;7:27-9.
12. Chitra Pai, Ujjwala Kulkarni, Manjusha Borde, Sowmya Murali, P Mrudula, Yashwant Deshmukh. Antibacterial activity of Tridax procumbens with special reference to nosocomial pathogens. British J Pharm Res 2011;1:164-73.
13. Rappiah Opong, AK Nyarko, D Dodoo, FN Gyang, KA Karam, NK Ayisi. Ghana Med J 2 Sanogo H, Karadji O, Dembele D, Diallo. Mali Medical 2009;24:1-6.
14. Vishnu Priya P, Radhika K, Sivakumar R, Sri Ramchandra M, Prameela Devi V, Rao Srinivasa. Phytochemical and pharmacological potential of tridax procumbens linn. Int Adv Pharm Sci 2011;2:28-30.
15. Omedine Koukoui, Cokou P, Agbangnan D, Esperance Medoatinsa, Sylvie Prigent, Oliver Nusse, et al. Chemical profile, cytotoxicity anti-radical and hypolipidemic activities of tridaxprocumbens of Benin. Res J Pharm Biol Chem Sci 2015;6:1441.
16. Pathak AK, Saraf S, Dixit VK. Hepatoprotective activity of tridax procumbent. Fitoterapia 1991;62:307-13.
17. Guinra Alimantou. Rapport de memoire de master en physiologie et application: caractÃ©risation chimique et activitÃ©s biologiques de Tridaxprocumbens; universitÃ© d'Abomey-Calavi; 2016.
18. Ahossi P, TJ Dougnon, P Kiki Et, J Houessionon. SynthÃ¨se des activitÃ©s biologiques et de lâ€™utilisation de Tridaxprocumbens en production animale et en mÃ©decine traditionnelle review. Int J Biol Chem Sci 2014;8:1476-884.
19. Taddei A, Rosas Romero AJ. Bioactivity studies of extracts from tridaxprocumbens. J Phytomed 2000;7:235-8.
20. Vyas Suresh P, Tiwari Umesh, Rastogi Bhawna, Singh Paramjit. Immunomodulatory effects of aqueous extract of Tridaxprocumbens in experimental animals. Ethnopharma-cologoly 2004;92:113-9.
21. Caceres A, Lopez B, Gonzalez S, Beger T, Tada T, Maki J. Plants used in guatemala for the treatement of protozoal infections, l. Screening of activity to bacteria, fungi and American trypanosomes of native plants. J Ethnopharmacol 1998;62:195-202.
22. Chen WH, Ma XM, Wu QX, Shi YP. Chemical constituent diversity of Tridaxprocumbens. Can J Chem 2008;86:892-8.
23. Keerthi Sammeta, Padmaja Kota, Jagadeesh Panda, DVSN Adithya, Swathi Chowdary, A Ram Kumar, et al. Indira antihyperlipidemic activity of ethanolic extract of tridax procumbens l. Int J Pharm Chem Biol Sci 2014;4:874-7.
24. Suseel L, Sarsvathy A, Brindha P. Pharmacolognostic studies on tridaxprocumbens L. J Phytol Res 2002;15:141-2.
25. Agban A, Gbogbo KA, Amana EK, Tegueni K, Batawila K, Koumaglo K, et al. Ã‰valuation des activitÃ©s antimicrobiennes de tridaxprocumbens (asteraceae), jatrophamultifida (euphorbiaceae) et de chromolaenaodorata (asteraceae). Eur Sci J 2013;9:278-90.
26. Makkar HPS. Effects and fate of tannins in ruminant animals,adaptation to tannins, and strategies to overcome detrimental effects of feedingtannin-rich feeds. Small Ruminant Res 2003;49:241-56.
27. Aboh AB, Olaafa M, Dossou Gbete GSO, Dossa AD, Djagoun N. Ingestion volontaire et digestibilitÃ© apparente dâ€™une ration Ã base de la farine de graines de mucunapruriens var. utilis completee de fourrages chez les lapins. Tropicultura 2002; 20:165-9.
28. Babatounde S, Sidi H, Houinato M, Oumorou M, Mensah GA, Sinsin BA. Valeuralimentaire des fourrages consommÃ©s parles taurillons Borgou sur les parcours naturels du centre du BÃ©nin. Int J Biol Chem Sci 2011;5:2382-94.
29. Anil Saini, Harish Kumar Soniand, Parvesh Gupta. A review on tridax procumbens imperial. IJIR 2016;2:2454-1362.
30. Nia R, Paper DH, Essien EE, Oladimeji OH, Iyadi KC, Franz G. Investigation into in vitro radical scavaging and in vivo anti-inflammatory potential of Tridaxprocumbens. Nig J Physiol Sci 2003;18:39-43.
31. Amagbegnon, rapport de memoire de master en physiologie et application: evaluation de lactivite preventive et therapeutique de tridaxprocumbenssur lobesite lhyperglycemie et la dyslipidemie provoquee chez les rats wistar: Universite d Abomey-Calavi; 2017.
32. Kumar SS, Asokan D, Kumar PS, Kalavathy S, Manoharan N. Salubrious effect of Tridaxprocumbens on paracetamol hepatotoxicity. Int J Pharma Sci 2001;63:64-6.
33. Habila JD, Bello IA, Dzikwi AA, Musa H, Abubakar N. Total phenolics and antioxidant activity of tridaxprocumbens linn. Afr J Pharm Pharmacol 2010;4:123-6.
34. Ikewuchi CJ, Ikewuchi CC, IgbohNgozi M. Chemical profile of tridaxprocumbens linn. Pak J Nutr 2009;8:548-50.
35. Ikese CO,Okoye ZC, Kukwa DT, Adoga SO, et Lenka JL. Effet de lâ€™extrait de feuilles aqueuses de tridax procumbens sur la coagulation du sang. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2015;6:3391-5.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.