A STUDY ON DIFFERENT PELLET FORMATION TECHNIQUES AND ITS EVALUATION PARAMETERS-A REVIEW
This review article deals with the various pelletization techniques utilized in the pharmaceutical industry for spheroidal particle production i.e., pellet for mainly oral administration which can be further formulated into several other dosage forms such as tablets, capsules or can be administered as such. Now-a-days oral administration has become the most versatile, convenient and common route of drug administration which ultimately focuses on patient compliance. The technique which is setting horizon in pelletization is “Extrusion Spheronization” because of its simple and easy steps involved in pellet production in a faster way. This review also includes the characterization and evaluation of pellets to ensure its quality, safety and efficacy to give out the required therapeutic activity after administration.
2. Jawahar N, Anilbhai PH. Pellets for multi-unit particulates systems (MUPS): a novel oral dosage forms. J Pharm Sci Res 2012;4:1915–23.
3. Ratul D, Baquee AA. Pellets and pelletization techniques: a critical review. Int Res J Pharm 2013;4:90–5.
4. S Ramu, G Ramakrishna, M Balaji, K Kondala Rao, S Haranadh Reddy, D Pava kumar. Multiple unit drug delivery systems: pelletization techniques. Am J Adv Drug Delivery 2013;1:11–21.
5. T VK, Reddy MS. Formulation and evaluation ofenteric coated pellets of rifampicin and isoniazid with improved rifampicin stability. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2014;7:154–6.
6. Raju Onkar Sonawane, Savita Dattatraya Patil. Formulation aspects and effect of critical factors for designing extended formulation aspects and effect of critical factors for designing extended release pellets: an updated review. Taylor Fr 2016;55:976–89.
7. Supriya P, Rajni B, Rana AC. Review article pelletization techniques: a literature review. Int Res J Pharm 2012;3:43–7.
8. Srinivasarao K, Jyothirmai KSL, Rao NR. Pellets and pelletization techniques: a review. Int J Res Pharm Chem 2017;7:141–7.
9. Politis SN, Rekkas DM. Pelletization processes for pharmaceutical applications: a patent review. Recent Pat Drug Delivery Formulation 2011;5:61–78.
10. Muley S, Nandgude T, Poddar S. Extrusion–spheronization a promising pelletization technique: in-depth review. Asian J Pharm Sci 2016;11:684–99.
11. Bhaskaran S, Lakshmi PK. Extrusion spheronization-a review. Int J PharmTech Res 2010;2:2429–33.
12. Mircea Hirjau MD, Anca Cecilia Nicoara, MD VH. Pelletization techniques used in pharmaceutical fields. Pract Farm 2011;4:206–11.
13. Gupta AM, Shivhare UD, Suruse PB. International journal of pharmaceutical and different aspects of pellets formulation and their evaluation. Int J Pharm Phytopharm Res 2015;4:331–6.
14. Verma A. Pharmaceutical pellets: a versatile carrier for oral controlled delivery of drugs. Indian J Pharm Educ 2016;50:8–24.
15. Sachdeva V, Alam S, Kumar R, Kataria MK. Oral multiunit pellet extended release dosage form: a review. Int Curr Pharm J 2013;2:177–84.
16. Ravella VN, Nadendla RR, Kesari NC. Design and evaluation of sustained release pellets of aceclofenac. JOPR J Pharm Res 2013;6:525–31.
17. Bathool A, Gowda DV, Khan MS. Development and evaluation of porous membrane pellets of disopyramide phosphate for sustained release. Asian J Pharm 2012;12:107–15.
18. Karra N, Raju N. Formulation and evaluation of torsemide pellets for extended drug release by extrusion-spheronization method. Asian J Pharm 2018;12:5–6.
19. Kalyani C, Reddy KV, Rao EA, Kumari MP. Formulation and in vitro evaluation of metoprolol succinate extended release pellets. Br Biomed Bull 2013;1:73–82.
20. Gandhi R, Ashokraj Y, Kaul CL, Panchagnula R. Using extrusion–spheronization to develop controlled-release formulations of azithromycin. Pharmtech Com 2005;1:68–86.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.