COMPARATIVE IN VITRO ANTICANCER ACTIVITY OF METHANOLIC EXTRACT OF TRADITIONALLY USED MEDICINAL PLANT OF MIZORAM
Objective: The main objective was to find out the in vitro comparative anticancer activity of various methanolic extract.
Methods: Plants samples such as Mikania micrantha, Allium hookeri, Eryngium foetidium, and Alpinea galanga were collected, identified and authenticated. By using Trypan blue test Human cervical cancer (Hela) cells were counted. TheHuman cervical cancer (Hela) cells were treated with methanolic extract of Mikania micrantha, Allium hookeri, Eryngium foetidium and Alpinia galanga.20 µl of MTT (5 mg/ml) solution was added to cells per well, and the plate was moved to a cell incubator. Measurement was performed using a Spectramax M2 Microplate Reader (Molecular Diagnostic, Inc.) at a wavelength of 570 nm.
Results: The Cytotoxicity of studied medicinal plants of Mizoram such as Mikania micrantha, Allium hookeri, Eryngium foetidium and Alpinia galanga exhibited cytotoxicity in an increased manner with increase concentration against Hela cells. Their IC50 values were 49.02, 138.5, 199.7 and 209.4 µg ml-1 respectively. The IC50 of doxorubicin was found to be 3.305µg ml-1. The anticancer activity of the leaves related to their content of flavanoids. This study validates the traditional use of plants in the management of cancer.
Conclusion: The Cytotoxicity of studied medicinal plants of Mizoram such as Mikania micrantha, Allium hookeri, Eryngium foetidium and Alpinia galanga exhibited cytotoxicity in an increased manner with increase concentration against HeLa cells.
2. Tagne RS, Telefo BP, Nyemb JN, Yemele DM, Njina SN, Goka SMCG, et al. Anticancer and antioxidant activities of methanol extracts and fractions of some cameroonian medicinal plants. Asian Pacific J Trop Med 2014;7:442-7.
3. Mosamann T. Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival, application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assay. J Immunol Methods 1983;65:55-63.
4. Sakinehsalehi, Saber Z, Seyed MR. Cytotoxic effect of Prangos Pabularia extracts on HELA cell line a medicinal plant. Int J Med Res Health Sci 2016;5:547-52.
5. Kostova I. Synthetic and natural coumarins as cytotoxic agents. Curr Med Chem Anti Cancer Agents 2005;5:29-46.
6. Plumb JA. Cell sensitivity assays: the MTT assay. Methods Mol Med 2004;88:165-9.
7. Denecker G, Vercammen D, Declercq W, Vandenabeele P. Apoptotic and necrotic cell death induced by death domain receptors. Cellular Mol Life Sci 2001;58:356-70.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.