UV SPECTROPHOTOMETRIC ANALYSIS AND VALIDATION OF ACYCLOVIR IN SOLID DOSAGE FORM
Keywords:Acyclovir, UV-Visible spectrophotometric method, Method validation
Objective: A new, economical, sensitive, simple, rapid UV spectrophotometric method has been developed for the estimation of Acyclovir in pure form and pharmaceutical formulation.
Methods: This UV method was developed using distilled water as a solvent. In the present method, the wavelength selected for analysis was 254 nm. UV-Visible double beam spectrophotometer (Systronic 2201) was used to carry out the spectral analysis. The ICH guidelines were used to validate the method.
Results: The method was validated for linearity, range, accuracy, precision, robustness, LOD and LOQ. Linearity was found in the range of 5-30µg/ml. Accuracy was performed by using a recovery study. The amount of drug recovered was found to be in the range of 100.1-100.5 %. The % RSD value was found to be less than 2.
Conclusion: The proposed UV spectroscopic method was found to be accurate, precise, stable, linear, specific, and simple for quantitative estimation of acyclovir in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form. Hence the present UV spectroscopic method is suitable for the routine assay of acyclovir in bulk and pharmaceutical formulations.
2. Sadjadi SA, Regmi S, Chau T. Acyclovir neurotoxicity in a peritoneal dialysis patient: report of a case and review of the pharmacokinetics of acyclovir. Am J Case Rep 2018; 19:1459-62.
3. Gandhi PK, Momin NS, Kharade SP, Konapure NP, Kuchekar BS. Estimation of acyclovir in the spectrophotometric estimation of acyclovir in pharmaceutical dosage forms pharmaceutical dosage forms. Indian J Pharm Sci 2006;68:516-7.
4. Muralidharan SA, Kalaimani JP, Parasuraman SR, Sokkalingam AD. Development and validation of acyclovir HPLC external standard method in human plasma. Appl Pharmacokinetic Studies Adv Pharm 2014;33:1-5.
5. Chaudhari SA, Mannan AJ, Daswadkar SP. Development and validation of UV spectrophotometric method for simultaneous estimation of acyclovir and silymarin in niosome formulation. Der Pharmacia Lett 2016;8:128-33.
6. Ukpe AS, Johnson OO. Spectrophotometric determination of acyclovir after its reaction with ninhydrin and ascorbic acid. J Appl Pharm Sci 2015;5:65-9.
7. Zendelovska DO. Determination of acyclovir in human plasma samples by HPLC method with UV detection: application to a single-dose pharmacokinetic study. J Med Sci 2015;3:32-6.
8. Velivela SM, Konde AP, Mayasa AP, Nikunja BP. Method development and validation of acyclovir in rabbit plasma by RP-HPLC. J Pharm Res 2016;10:509-13.
9. ICH, Q2 (R1) Validation of analytical procedures: text and methodology, International conference on harmonization; 1996.