RESPIRATORY MUSCLE TRAINING WITH THERABAND VERSUS INCENTIVE SPIROMETER AMONG INDIVIDUALS WITH BRONCHIAL ASTHMA
Objective: To determine and compare the effects of Theraband exercises with Incentive Spirometer exercise in improving respiratory muscle strength among bronchial asthma.
Methods: In this study, 30 Individuals with Bronchial asthma were taken and assessed for FEV1/FVC, Maximum voluntary ventilation (MVV) using a computerized spirometer, dyspnea level graded using MMRC scale and diaphragm muscle strength assessed using manual muscle testing (MMT) as pre-test then the individuals were randomly allocated in two groups: Group A and Group B. Group A (n=15) received Theraband exercise and Group B (n=15) were treated with incentive spirometer for a total period of 4 w following which the outcome measures were repeated for post-test.
Results: Based on the obtained statistics, both the groups showed significant improvement within groups when comparing pre and post-test measures. On comparing the mean values of the post-test between the groups, theraband exercises showed clinically higher significant results than incentive spirometer exercises.
Conclusion: From the result, it shall been concluded that both theraband exercises and incentive spirometer exercises shows improvement in MVV, FEV1/FVC, reduced dyspnea and increased respiratory muscle strength. Hence, theraband exercises are effective compared to the incentive spirometer.
2. Agarwal S, Pearce N, S Ebrahim. Prevalance and risk factors of self-reported asthma in Indian population. Int J Tuberc Lung Disease 2013;17:275-82.
3. Butter worth, Heinemann. Tidy?sphysiotherapy edited by Stuart B. Porter. 13th edition. Elsevier Science Limited; 2003. p. 303.
4. Paltiel Weiner, Yaizazgad, Rasemganan, Margalit Weiner. Inspiratory muscles training in patients with bronchial asthma. Chest 1992;102:1357-61.
5. Marjolein LJ Bruus, lianne J, Vander Giessen, Heleenmoed. The effectiveness of physiotherapy in patients with asthma: a systemic review of the literature. J Respir Med 2013;107:483-98.
6. GD Gale, DE Sanders. The barlett-edwards incentive spirometer: a preliminary assessment of its use in the prevention of the atelectasis after cardiopulmonary bypass. Can Anaesth Soc J 1977;24:408-16.
7. Tom J Overand, Catherine M Anderson, S Deborahlucy, Christina Bhatia, Birgitta I. Jonsson, Catherine Timmermans. The effects of incentive spirometry on postoperative pulmonary complications. Chest 2001;120:971–8.
8. Ruben D Restrepo, Richard Wettstein, Leowittnebel, Michael Trancy. AARC clinical practice guideline of Incentive spirometry. Respir Care 2011;56:1600–4.
9. Marco Uchida, Marco Makoto Nishida, Ricardo Aurelio Carval Hosampio, Toshio Moritani, Hidenori Aria. Theraband-elastic band tension: reference value for physical activity. J Phys Ther Sci 2016;28:1266–71.
10. Guy G Simoneau, Shellie M Bereda, Dennis C Sobush, Andrew J Satarsky. Biomechanics of elastic resistance in therapeutic exercise programs. J Orthopaedic Sports Phys Thera 2001;31:1624.
11. https://www.bindependent.com/hompg/bi/bindep/store/aisles/exercise/bands/Theraband.htm [Last accessed on 10 Dec 2019]
12. Shiny S James, K Rekha, Vaipyapuri Anandh. Effects of threshold inspiratory muscle trainer in bronchial asthma. Biomed J 2016;36:77-82.
13. N Aggarwal, K Chaudhry, SK Chhabra, GA D’Souza, D Gupta, SK Jindal, SK Katiyar, et al. Prevalence and risk factors for bronchial asthma in Indian adults: a multicentre study. Indian J Chest Diseases Allied Sci 2006;48:13-22.
14. Turner LA, Mickleborough TD, McConnell AK, Stager JM, Tecklenburg Lund S, Lindley MR. Effect of inspiratory muscle training on exercise tolerance in asthmatic individuals. Med Sci Sports Exercise 2011;43:2031-8.
15. Andre Nyberg, Didier Saey, Mickaël Martin, François Maltais. Muscular and functional effects of partitioning exercising muscle mass in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease-a study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials 2015;16:194.
16. Lawrence P Cahalin, Ross Arena. Impact of exercise training on adverse event risk and quality of life in patients with heart failure. Phys Ther 2012;92:1371-5.
17. Lars L Andersen, Christoffer H Andersen, Ole S Mortensen, Otto M Poulsen, Inger Birthe T Bjornlund, Mette K Zebis. Muscle activation and perceived loading during rehabilitation exercises: comparison of dumbbells and elastic resistance. Phys Thera 2010;90:538-49.
18. Phillip A Page, John Lamberth, Ben Abadie, Robert Boling, Robert Collins, Russell Linton. Posterior rotator cuff strengthening using theraband® in a functional diagonal pattern in collegiate baseball pitchers. J Athletic Training 1993;28:346-54.
19. Sanjeev Kumar Khanna. Efficacy of incentive spirometer in improving pulmonary functions after upper abdominal surgery. Indian J Basic Appl Med Res 2013;3:328-34.
20. Harpreet Ranu, Michael Wilde, Brendan Madden. Pulmonary function tests. Ulster Med J 2011;80:84-90.
21. Donald A Mahler, Carolyn K Wells. Evaluation of clinical methods for rating Dyspnea. Chest J 1988;93:580-6.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.