SENSITIVITY AND SPESIFICITY VALUE OF PLATELETS, MALIGNANCY RATIO INDEX AND BOTH COMBINED IN DIAGNOSING OVARIAN CANCER AT GENERAL HOSPITAL HAJI ADAM MALIK MEDAN FROM 2016-2018
Keywords:Sensitivity, Specificity, Platelets, Malignancy Ratio Index
Objective: This research aimed to analyze sensitivity and specificity values of platelets, RMI and both combined as ovarian cancer diagnostic modality in Haji Adam Malik Hospital in 2016-2018.
Methods: This is analytic research with a diagnostic test design on 204 patients who had been diagnosed with ovarian cancer and patients with ovary benign tumors which have been examined the value of full blood and the malignancy ratio index and ovarian mass that has been proven by the results of anatomic pathology at General Hospital Haji Adam Malik Medan in 2016-2018. The data is tabulated into 2x2 table and then calculated for each sensitivity, specificity, positive predictive value and negative predictive value.
Result: By using platelet cut-off value>450000 per mm3 in diagnosing ovarian cancer with sensitivity 55.44% and specificity 83.65% were obtained. IRK has a sensitivity 83.16% and specificity 76.92%. Platelet and IRK values provided the highest diagnostic value (specificity) compared to when they were each single which was 97.11% while the combination of platelet and IRK values had a sensitivity of 49.50%.
Conclusion: Platelet and IRK values gives the highest diagnostic value (specificity) compared to when both are used, namely 97.11%.
2. Pusat Data dan Informasi Kementerian Kesehatan Republik Indonesia. Situasi Penyakit Kanker; 2015. Available from: www.pusdatin.kemkes.go.id [Last accessed on 20 Dec 2019]
3. Haemmerle M, Stone RL, Menter DG, Afshar Kharghan V, Sood AK. The platelet lifeline to cancer: challenges and opportunities. Cancer Cell 2018;33:965–83.
4. Lomnytska M, Pinto R, Becker S, Engström U, Gustafsson S, Björklund C, et al. Platelet protein biomarker panel for ovarian cancer diagnosis. Biomark Res 2018;6:2.
5. Bailey SER, Ukoumunne OC, Shephard E, Hamilton W. How useful is thrombocytosis in predicting an underlying cancer in primary care? A systematic review. Fam Pract 2017;34:4–10.
6. Hunn J, Rodriguez GC. Ovarian cancer. Clin Obstet Gynecol 2012;55:3–23.
7. Society AC. Ovarian cancer risk factors 2018. Available from: https://www.cancer.org/cancer/ovarian-cancer/causes-risks-prevention/risk-factors.html [Last accessed on 11 Apr 2018]
8. Egan K, Crowley D, Smyth P, O’Toole S, Spillane C, Martin C, et al. Platelet adhesion and degranulation induce pro-survival and pro-angiogenic signalling in ovarian cancer cells. PLoS One 2011;6:e26125.
9. Sharma D, Singh G. Thrombocytosis in gynecological cancers. J Cancer Res Ther 2017;13:193.