ESTIMATION OF TOTAL PHENOL AND ANTIOXIDANT ACTIVITY OF ZANTHOXYLUM ARMATUM OF NEPALESE ORIGIN
Objective: The aim of this study was to analyze the phytoconstituents, estimation of total phenolic content and in vitro antioxidant activity of Zanthoxylum armatum from Myagdi district of Nepal.
Methods: The seeds extract of Zanthoxylum armatum was prepared by cold percolation in hexane, ethyl acetate and methanol with continuous agitation. Phytochemical analysis for each extracts was performed by color differentiation method adopting the standard protocol. Antioxidant potential of the extracts was performed by DPPH (2,2-diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl) free radical scavenging assay by taking ascorbic acid as standard. Total phenolic content was estimated by Folin–Ciocalteu reagent method.
Results: The analysis of secondary metabolites showed the presence of quinones and terpenoidsin almost all extracts while alkaloids, polyphenols, tannins and saponins were abundant in polar extracts. The results of antioxidant activity showed the methanol extract of Zanthoxylum armatum IC50 87.47µg/ml was found to be more antioxidant as compared to the standard ascorbic acid IC50 66.40 µg/ml. Ethyl acetate extract showed moderate antioxidant activity with IC50 142.04 µg/ml, whereas hexane extract showed the poor antioxidant activity with IC50 384.03 µg/ml. The result of total phenolic content showed, ethyl acetate fraction has the highest 26.28±9.35 mg GAE/g as compared to methanol extract 23.36±14.80 mg GAE/g and hexane extract showed the poor phenolic content 20.05±8.0 mg GAE/g.
Conclusion: The seeds extracts of Zanthoxlum armatum were found the rich source of secondary metabolites. The methanol extract was found potent antioxidant as compared to ethyl acetate and hexane extract. It is concluded that further activity guided isolation approaches will be needed on methanol extract to identify the active compound responsible for in vivo and in vitro antioxidant activity.
2. Kong JM, Goh NK, Chia LS, Chia TF. Recent advances in traditional plant drugs and orchids. Act Pharmacol Sinica 2003;24:7?21.
3. Dias DA, Urban S, Roessner U. A historical overview of natural products in drug discovery. Metabolites 2012;2:303-36.
4. Mbah1 CJ, Ifeoma C, Ndiamaka O, Okorie H. Antioxidants properties of natural and synthetic chemical compounds: therapeutic effects on biological system. Acta Sci Pharm Sci 2019;3:28-42.
5. Paul A, Kumar A, Singh G, Choudhary A. Medicinal, pharmaceutical and pharmacological properties of Zanthoxylum armatum: a review. J Pharmacogn Phytochem 2018;7:892-900.
6. Singh TP, Singh OM. Phytochemical and pharmacological profile of Zanthoxylum armatum DC. An overview. Indian J Nat Prod Resour 2011;2:275-85.
7. Pokhrel B, Raut S, Rijal S. Phytochemical screening, antimicrobial and antioxidant activity of Melia azedarach leaves in methanol. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;4:1562-75.
8. Khan MS, Yusufzai SK, Rafatullah M, Sarjadi MS, Razlan M. Determination of total phenolic content, total flavonoid content and antioxidant activity of various organic crude extracts of Licuala Spinosa leaves from sabah, Malaysia. ASM Sci J 2018;11:53-8.
9. Jain A, Soni M, Deb L, Jain A, Rout S, Gupta V, et al. Antioxidant and hepatoprotective activity of ethanolic and aqueous extracts of Momordica dioica Roxb. leaves. J Ethnopharmacol 2008;115:61-6.
10. Ranawat LS, Patel J. Antioxidant and hepatoprotective activity of ethanolic extracts of bark of Zanthoxylum armatum DC. In paracetamol-induced hepatotoxicity. Int J Pharm Sci Drug Res 2013;5:120-4.
11. Yadav NK, Arya RK, Dev K, Sharma C, Hossain Z, Meena S, et al. Alcoholic extract of Eclipta alba shows in vitro antioxidant and anticancer activity without exhibiting toxicological effects. Oxid Med and Cell Longevity 2017;18. https://doi.org/10.1155/ 2017/9094641.
12. Kharel R, Sharma KR. Evaluation of antioxidant potential and quantitative estimation of phenolic and flavonoid content in some selected Nepalese medicinal plants. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2020;13:124-8.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.